Old 08-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #71

I am still carrying around my homemade device.

It normally resides in the driver's door map pocket. If the lights don't come on after start, I just hop out and plug it in. Based on all the comments here, I am reluctant to spend $300-500 on a fix that may or may not cure the problem. Mine is an awkward solution, but it WILL turn the lights ON every time without fail.

I have never had the lights go OFF after they illuminate. If they illuminate, they will STAY illuminated until they are turned OFF with the ignition switch. I have adopted the habit of turning ON the parking light switch before I turn OFF the ignition switch for brief stops such as refueling. I just have to remind myself to re-select the OFF position after I start the vehicle so that the headlights will illuminate. (Sounds backwards, huh? Turn off the light switch to make the headlights come on!)

Now I need to modify my device so that I can plug my tow dolly into it. I will probably do that this weekend. After I test it, I will update this post.

I really love my Solera. We have put 47,000 miles on it in three years. Forest River builds a great coach, but they need to recognize the critical nature of this issue. It could potentially cause a serious crash. Based on just the posts here, it seems to be more pervasive than Forest River realizes. Everybody who has this problem needs to write a letter. Question is: Who do we send it to, NHTSA or Warren Buffet?

Old 08-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #72

How about this. Search on the net for companies who fix pc circuit boards. In the off season you could send it out for a repair. Remember to give them and explanation on when the board fails, so they can try and reproduce the problem.
Also, change out your halogens to led marker bulbs, that will greatly reduce the current draw through the board. You just need to pay attention to lens clearences when you buy them. There cheap in sets of ten on ebay, just search for the best price. I changed out all of them including the license plate bulb, after reading about the board failures.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #73
San Diego Rob

Thank you bclemens, I really appreciate it. Heading back to the dealer with it next Tuesday, so I will check in on here before I go drop it off to them. Thanks for being on here and your participation and input. Very nice!
Old 08-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #74

hello everyone, my name is Gyasi (pronounced Jasee), I am the current electrical engineer for the class c division and I am now a registered member here to help troubleshoot as many electrical issue as possible. I am currently aware of the failure of the "old style" solera tail light harness and module (circuit board panel). since I arrive here about a year ago I have redesign the taillight and harness to have off the self parts for owners who like to fix or repair their units. I am up to speed on the old style circuit panel most speak of here on the forum so I would like to help find solutions to your issues. please feel free to send me messages and I will do my best to interface with the forum weekly or based on replies, messages, etc......thanks
Old 08-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #75
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMWEWE View Post
hello everyone, my name is Gyasi (pronounced Jasee), I am the current electrical engineer for the class c division and I am now a registered member here to help troubleshoot as many electrical issue as possible. I am currently aware of the failure of the "old style" solera tail light harness and module (circuit board panel). since I arrive here about a year ago I have redesign the taillight and harness to have off the self parts for owners who like to fix or repair their units. I am up to speed on the old style circuit panel most speak of here on the forum so I would like to help find solutions to your issues. please feel free to send me messages and I will do my best to interface with the forum weekly or based on replies, messages, etc......thanks
WOW thumps up to you for coming aboard!
Thank you for helping in anyway!

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 08-15-2014, 01:05 PM   #76

my pleasure

it my pleasure
GMWEWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #77
2012 Solera

Gyasi - Welcome and thanks for volunteering your time to help us! Any chance you could post a circuit diagram of the "old" module?
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:29 PM   #78

sure

sure, I will gather what I have and post next week, but please note that the schematic is proprietary to the company whom built it so it may be vague on details
GMWEWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:54 PM   #79

Gyasi, thanks so much for joining the forum to give input on electrical issues for the Class C owners, it is much appreciated. As a side note, maybe the board manufacturer would be willing to help out, (i.e. board repair, etc.) the Solera owners at the owners expense of course, who currently have board issues. That would be much cheaper than buying a whole new board. I suggest that since there seems to be a decent amount of issues relating to this pc board.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:29 PM   #80

Gyasi:

Thanks for getting involved in this issue.

According to the posts on this forum, the intermittent lighting issue occurs on ALL year models, both with LED and incandescent lamps. Mine is a 2012 model with LED lamps. If the lamps illuminate on engine start or light switch selection, they will stay illuminated. The problem is that sometimes they just refuse to illuminate, even after numerous attempts. When this occurs, there is power input to the tail/clearance terminal on the circuit board but no output. I have personally tested it with my meter and test lamp.

My temporary solution is to use a device I made. This jumps the 12V+ hot pin to the tail/marker pin on the trailer light connector. I use a 10 amp inline fuse in the jumper wire. This device never fails to turn the lights on when the light switch or the ignition switch fail to do so. It has also never blown the fuse in two years of use.

This tells me two things: First the problem is not a grounding issue as some people have speculated. If it was, back feeding the lighting circuit would not work. Second, the problem is not a loose connection as the lamps are steadily illuminated and there is no flickering or fluctuation when they DO illuminate, either normally or with this device.

I recently modified my device to allow me to plug in my tow dolly. Photos follow this post.