Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
crv

2012 Solera Mercedes engine or not?

Hi all

Am new here, (and in fact reasonably new to the RV world too). I work for a consignment RV dealership selling RVs, and we have just received a 2012 Forest River Solera with the Mercedes diesel engine into stock.

The thing is, the owner bought it in April 2012, which is all well and good. However, according to NADA, there is no such thing as a 2012 Solera with a Mercedes diesel engine in existence, so I am trying to work out what the hell is going on here. According to NADA, the only Solera 24S in 2012 has a Dodge motor.

Can anyone shed any light, or put me in the right direction? Thanks very much.
crv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
2012 Solera 24S

I have a 2012 Solera with a 2011 Mercedes Sprinter Chassis.

Check the chassis vin (driver side dash), that should give you your answer.
Nats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
crv

Hi Nats

Thanks for your answer. Yes, that's exactly what this one has. The VIN states Dec 2011 on this one, but it's strange that it doesn't show as a 2012 on NADA. The first mention on NADA is 2013 for the Solera with the Mercedes engine.

I'm trying to find out what the book value is. So do I use the 2013 Solera listing to get my price? Seems odd.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crv View Post
Hi Nats

Thanks for your answer. Yes, that's exactly what this one has. The VIN states Dec 2011 on this one, but it's strange that it doesn't show as a 2012 on NADA. The first mention on NADA is 2013 for the Solera with the Mercedes engine.

I'm trying to find out what the book value is. So do I use the 2013 Solera listing to get my price? Seems odd.
Motorcoaches are titled by the year the coachwork was added, not by the chassis year. The VIN # is related to the Chassis, however, and if the coach were added early in the 2012 model year, it would probably be on a 2011 Chassis. Coach builders buy these chassis in bulk, and then built the coaches as orders come in. If you have doubts, you can contact FR and give them the VIN number and they can tell you the model year of the coach. As to the Dodge data - Mercedes formerly owned Dodge, and many coaches were built on MB chassis with Dodge badges, but they are exactly the same as a Mercedes. Interestingly, some have also been built with Freightliner badge - Mercedes owns Freightliner, too, but the coach is exactly the same as the later ones with the Mercedes badge.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Hi all

Am new here, (and in fact reasonably new to the RV world too). I work for a consignment RV dealership selling RVs, and we have just received a 2012 Forest River Solera with the Mercedes diesel engine into stock.

The thing is, the owner bought it in April 2012, which is all well and good. However, according to NADA, there is no such thing as a 2012 Solera with a Mercedes diesel engine in existence, so I am trying to work out what the hell is going on here. According to NADA, the only Solera 24S in 2012 has a Dodge motor.

Can anyone shed any light, or put me in the right direction? Thanks very much.
a 2012 MH does not have to be on a 2012 chassis to be a 2012 model year, my ridgeview was a 2011 on a 2008 GM chassis
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
crv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
Motorcoaches are titled by the year the coachwork was added, not by the chassis year. The VIN # is related to the Chassis, however, and if the coach were added early in the 2012 model year, it would probably be on a 2011 Chassis. Coach builders buy these chassis in bulk, and then built the coaches as orders come in. If you have doubts, you can contact FR and give them the VIN number and they can tell you the model year of the coach. As to the Dodge data - Mercedes formerly owned Dodge, and many coaches were built on MB chassis with Dodge badges, but they are exactly the same as a Mercedes. Interestingly, some have also been built with Freightliner badge - Mercedes owns Freightliner, too, but the coach is exactly the same as the later ones with the Mercedes badge.
Ok, that kind of makes sense. I will use the 2012 price based on the Dodge Sprinter, because really it is impossible to be 2013 when it was sold in 2012.

Nada also spells Solera incorrectly (spelling it Solara).
Old 12-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Ok, that kind of makes sense. I will use the 2012 price based on the Dodge Sprinter, because really it is impossible to be 2013 when it was sold in 2012.

Nada also spells Solera incorrectly (spelling it Solara).
You're right - they do spell it wrong. Just remember you're selling a Solera, not a Sprinter. Also, the model years usually change in mid year. Foir instance, if you buy a coach in July, it will be the following year's model. (i.e. buy one now, it's a 2014, buy one next July it'll be a 2015. So, it's not impossible!!! I would think if your company were in the RV business, they would be aware of this!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
crv

True, but can I get away with stating 2013 when it was sold in April 2012?
Old 12-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Hmmm. Interesting. How does the title read? If it's titled as a 2013, you should be able to sell it as such. I still think I'd contact FR to determine how it was (or should have) originally been titled.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Legally or ethically?
Old 12-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
crv

Yeah I really need to see the title. I work for a consignment dealer and the owner is away til Monday. Will call on Monday.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #12

Your 2012 Solera has German manufactured 3.0 liter turbo charged diesel. Since motor vehicle rules allow FR to set the year, independant of the chassis, you can say it's a 2012. If you care to know if the chassis is mfg. Prior to '12 model year, look at the 9th position in the vin#, that will tell you the year MB designates as their model year. There is a thread in this forum discussing same. Your confusion arises, because Diamler Benz, divested the Chrysler segment prior to that year, causing some badging issues on the Sprinter chassis.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, solera