Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #1

2013 Solera 24A Insert Trim Problem

Found out as I was getting my Solera out of storage for a trip next week-The insert trim has shrunk around the top corner of both front doors. Not sure what to do except wait for it to get a little hotter and then try to reinstall. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03153.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	50862  
CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
2012 Solera

What I did - removed the screw from the bottom. Pushed up to re-insert and to have some pressure holding it in. Drilled a new hole for the screw. Patched original screw hole with dicor. Small gap at bottom I found not objectionable - trim then stayed in place.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #3

X2 on JLeising handling of the problem.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #4

Mine did that also
Dealer fixed
No problem since (about a year and a half)
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #5

My warranty has expired, so I will try to move around the insert trim to fit my full body paint scheme-Thanks.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:41 PM   #6

Have the same issue with my 2013 24S, with full body paint. Dealer agreed to replace it with black or white but not match the paint job. I will suggest lining up the paint job and add 2" white trim at the bottom to seal joint. Taking it in next week will let you know..........PaDawg
PaDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:36 PM   #7

Our 2014 did the exact same thing. We got ours in Aug 2014 and used it until winterizing and putting in covered (but not enclosed) storage. Went to get RV for trip south this past January and the molding had shrunk and pulled out at the corners. I suspect this results from the molding being installed in somewhat warm factory setting, then when molding is exposed to extreme cold weather, (such as here in Colorado) the molding shrinks and pulls out at corners.

I just got ours back from repair shop where it was repaired under warranty. Not a cheap fix when full body paint is involved (a lot of masking/time etc). They also put three screws in corners where it had pulled out. Again, great warranty support by Forest River in my view. However I am sure FR wants to get some design fix to prevent this.
rdjjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:15 AM   #8

My Sunseeker did the same thing. On a warmer spring day I just worked it back into place with my fingers. So far it has stayed.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:31 PM   #9
2012 Solera

Same here! Hot temp & wind blew it out of track. I made mistake of taking it off until I got back home where it was cold. Tried to put it back on but it was too stiff... Also cracked the paint in spots: too brittle. It is going to be ugly now$&&@"".
FR needs better solution to hold the trim strip.
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #10

Same problem

Our 2013 Solera S had the same problem. My trim came out of the molding at 70 MPH coming home from Yellowstone. Very surprised to say the least.
I put clear silicone behind the trim before reinserting. Then put clear silicone on the outside on each side, so far so good.
Tinbender1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
Found out as I was getting my Solera out of storage for a trip next week-The insert trim has shrunk around the top corner of both front doors. Not sure what to do except wait for it to get a little hotter and then try to reinstall. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

B Clemens, would it be possible for the effected Solera owners and others, to source this plastic insert strip from suppliers to FR. Is that something that FR can help on. I'm guessing its a propritary part, specific to the RV industry and would almost be impossible to source, without information and assistance from FR. Just a thought. I checked mine and all is good.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #12
Commercial Member

I'm not sure how propriety it is, just about every RV mfg in the world uses it. It's just screw cap. Dealer should be able to get it, may even stock it.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #13

Camping World has it in various colors and sizes @ Search - INSERT TRIM - Camping World.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #14

Thanks CaptDan. Not bad $20 bucks for 100 ft. From Camping World.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:42 AM   #15

Got our rig into the dealer, Poulsbo RV, they are contacting FR for authorization to replace trim and repaint as warrantee item. We'll keep you posted!
Old 05-17-2014, 12:03 AM   #16

Just heard back from my dealer, Poulsbo RV, they received authorization fro FR to fix and paint the trim, really happy with FR for standing behind their product!
Old 05-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #17

On my third year with the Solera and first time I've had this problem with the trim. Waited for heat to kick in and just pushed the trim back into place and silicone caulked it. Will see how that goes!
RSolera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, solera