Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2018, 09:28 AM   #1

2013 Solera 24R 5500 miles Front Cap seam separation on Passenger side

Does anyone know how to access the the inside of the front cap as mine is separating at the seam. There appears to be screws holding it together and water must have gotten in and rusted the screws off. I have not had any water come into the cab. Is there any diagrams or pictures of how to access the seam from the inside? This is probably a question for bclemens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2714.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	187575   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2716.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	187576   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2711.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	187577   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2715.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	187578   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2713.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	187579  

RJJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:06 PM   #2
2012 Solera

A few years ago, I had a small “ding” in the front of my cap on our 2012 Solera. I pulled everything out of the cab over area, climbed up there with a power screw driver and started disassembling. Eventually got to the back of the problem - it was a difficult access job. You would need to go further than I did to access the inside of your problem area.

I would, if it were mine, attack it from the outside - probably clean it out, fill the gap with fiberglass cloth and resin (jammed in), drill a few holes through the cap, cured fiberglass, and the sheet it is separated from, install stainless sheet metal screws (coated with dicor or similar) in the holes, and seal (dicor) over. I probably would not try to “pull it together” with screws - not that big a gap, and it apparently doesn’t want to be forced tighter!

Just my thoughts -
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:01 PM   #3

From looking at wood floor of the bunk and measuring from the window outside, there is a about a 6 inch section of flooring back by the cap. The seam measures to be right under that section. There appears to be a metal frame under the vinyl cap all around the cap. The screws used appear to about 6 or 8/32. I can't tell whether the screw down into the frame or up into the inside of the cap. I think the water may be getting around the clearance lights on the cap.
I the RV sits front down hill and I pull out, a large volume of water will come out of the separation. This is the reason I want to access the inside of the cap.
Thanks for your reply
Old 09-26-2018, 03:16 PM   #4
2012 Solera

Ugh! Sorry to hear that. As I remember, I had to start taking the side panels off, then some of the ceiling parts before I could open up the front area. As I mentioned, I just got up there with a power driver and went at it - starting with the outermost layer (again, as I remember, they overlap). Good luck -
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #5
Commercial Member

To access those screws you need to pull off the white "trim" that covers them. Using a razor knife, you would cut where the sealant meets the body of the motorhome and the white "gimp" as we call it. Once you get a section start....just pull and that will expose all the screws. The gimp is just a screw cover over the underlying aluminum trim piece.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #6

Are the screws up thru or down thru from the inside? Is the some sort of frame on the inside? Is there any type of assembly drawing available?
Thank you
Old 09-27-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
Commercial Member

screws are from outside to inside. I haven't worked for that division since 2015, so I would not have access to any of the assembly prints. There is normally a frame there.

Old 09-27-2018, 01:58 PM   #8

Do you have a contact or phone # at the factory by chance?
Thanks
Old 09-27-2018, 02:13 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Forest River RV Contact Us - Forest River, Inc.

On their website, under "Contact Us"

Old 10-03-2018, 01:11 PM   #10

Just got home here in Orlando and checking the outside of my Solera my 2013 Solera looks suspect also on the passenger side front cap separating at the seam. Here are two pic's. Looks like the factory did not do very well on the manufacture of that specific seam on 2013 Solera's. Probably why they went to the other newer Cap. RJJB please keep me updated as it looks like I maybe going through the same procedure. Thank You.
CaptDan
"Happy Travels"

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04866.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	188146   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04865.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	188147  
CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:31 AM   #11

Me too....

Mine looks suspect too. 2013 24R passenger side as well. No open crack yet, but paint shows a hairline break there. Please keep me informed too!!
dswiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, 500, solera