Old 01-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #21

I measured the fresh water capacity again. I still get 30 gallons.

So the fresh waster tank is 5 gallons too low when compared to the specifications and the black tank is 3 gallons too low.

It goes into the shop tomorrow so I will make it a warranty issue with the dealer.

These capacities are very important to me. The TT that is being replaced had 40 gallons fresh and 32 gallons grey. I have to carry 3-8 gallon water jugs plus 2-7 gallon water jugs. I also carry a blu-tote to increase grey water tank capacity by offloading 15 gallons, giving me effectively 47 gallons for grey water.

We exclusively either dry camp or boon dock. I use hookups once every 2 to 3 years.

ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #22

So this thread has me paranoid about overloading the unit
I've seen suspension modification to improve handling but is it possible to increase capacity by beefing up the suspension, adding air bags,etc
Or is the issue the engine/tranny/rear end/brakes damage,failure

Old 01-08-2013, 04:44 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandiegodoug View Post
I've seen suspension modification to improve handling but is it possible to increase capacity by beefing up the suspension, adding air bags,etc
I don't know. I suspect it is a combination of them all.

It was not my goal to make anyone paranoid. My goal was to inform readers about weight limits that they may not be aware of. I think I achieved that goal.

Personally, I will not get paranoid by being overweight by something less than 500 pounds. But, I will strive to stay at the defined limit.

We leave for Quartzite in 1.5 weeks. At that time we will be fully loaded with ATV trailer in tow. We will drive right past the scales. I plan to weigh it all one last time on the way. I have never weighted the ATV trailer, so this will be enlightening.

At this time, I am surprised that I am not already overweight. I was certain that my initial load of cargo was going to put me over by 200 pounds. Instead I am 170 pounds under. I have some items I can leave at home some of the time and I have some items that could easily be transferred to the ATV trailer.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandiegodoug View Post

Doing suspension mods may help with the actual capability but unless you get the tags changed on the unit, legally you'll still be overweight.

Not that this helps but I have read estimates that almost half of the RVs on the road are overweight in some way. Either GVW, GCW, an axle, toe vehicle, trailer, or tire. A pet peeve of mine is that often if you take the tire rating and multiply by the number of tires on the trailer it will be less than the GVW on the tag. How can that be, I thought? Well they subtract about 15% for tongue or pin weight. I have and use a tongue weight scale but I think it's just asking for trouble with tires to cut it so close.

In my state the Police are beginning to randomly check RVs when they setup their portable scales. I know of one person who was going to get a big fine but the cops gave him a break when he was able to get under the limits by draining his fresh water tank and move some stuff to the toe vehicle. Thus checking your fully loaded unit is a good thing as is suggested in this thread.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #25

In my opinion(not to mean my opinion means anything) the most important factor is rear axle capacity.

gerry
Old 01-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I measured the fresh water capacity again. I still get 30 gallons.

So the fresh waster tank is 5 gallons too low when compared to the specifications and the black tank is 3 gallons too low.

It goes into the shop tomorrow so I will make it a warranty issue with the dealer.

These capacities are very important to me. The TT that is being replaced had 40 gallons fresh and 32 gallons grey. I have to carry 3-8 gallon water jugs plus 2-7 gallon water jugs. I also carry a blu-tote to increase grey water tank capacity by offloading 15 gallons, giving me effectively 47 gallons for grey water.

We exclusively either dry camp or boon dock. I use hookups once every 2 to 3 years.
If the tank capacities are that critical to you, why did you order a camper with stated capacities less than the TT it replaced. It doesn't make sense...

Just being the devil's advocate...

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
If the tank capacities are that critical to you, why did you order a camper with stated capacities less than the TT it replaced. It doesn't make sense...

Just being the devil's advocate...

Dave
My most criticla criteria:
1. a motor home
2. walk around short queen bed or bigger
3. total tip to tip length not greater than 26 feet. 26 feet plus a ladder is too long.
4. price

35 gallons is only 5 gallons less than the previous 40. That is a single extra container.

As measured I will need two additional containers 5 gallon containers.

Also, the smaller the fresh tank the more often I have to add water to it. I know I will use 80 gallons. So 40 plus 40 meant one refill. I was expecting 35+35+10 but instead I will have 30+30+20. Not a big deal but the brochure, the spec sheet and the factory rep all say 35 gallons and I measure only 30. Either change the specs or fix the defect. Maybe they installed the wrong tank. Maybe the filler and vent tubes are mounted too low.

I think I can live with the 27 gallon black tank even though 30 is what the spec and brochure says.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #28

People have complained about tank sizes here before. I believe the answer was that FR uses what the tank manufacturer says it holds and is stamped on the tank. However even those numbers are nominal and can vary by as much as 10%. Good luck with your warranty claim.

I wish my Sunseeker had larger tanks but I knew I could add another 30 gallon fresh water tank on top of original tank (would reduce under bed storage) and add another 30 gallon gray tank in one of the storage areas if I found I needed them. However I rarely use the Sunseeker to camp without hookups.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #29

Truth in advertising.

Either change the tanks to match the spec or change the spec to match the tanks.

One of my criteria was tank capacity. 20 would be a definite show stopper. As far as rounding errors go, 30 instead of 35 is a 16 percent difference. IF they have a 10 percent tolerance then it should be at least 31.5 gallons.

I spent too much time studying to be an engineer. I know plenty about tolerances. But 16 percent! Someone looked at the tank and made a guess. They did not measure it and come up with that much of a difference.

If you bought a car because it got 35 mpg, but it really will only get 30, would you say to yourself that this is just the way it is?

I doubt they will fix the discrepancy. But they should at least change the spec and brochures to be honest.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #30

All car manufactures say x per gallon, and reality is always less than that amount. So the manufacturer of the tanks are probably playing by the same rules. Find out the manufacturer of the tanks and ask them what the capacity is. Or another idea would be - see if you can put a bigger tank where the existing fresh tank is. Anyway - some thoughts.