Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #1

2013 Solera Oil Change

Hi,
I saw some previous threads about saving some cash and doing the oil changes yourselves, so I took your advice. I ordered:

Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-40, which is according to MB Specs.

Amazon.com: Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-40 - 1 Quart Bottle (Case of 6): Automotive

Does anyone know what size Filter it takes and if one brand is better than another?

Much appreciated.
Lcblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
2012 Solera 24S

I used the Mann HU 821 X Metal-Free Oil Filter with the Mobil 1 5W-40 ESP Formula M oil.

I believe the Mann filters are the OEM filter for Mercedes.

Make sure you have a drain pan large enough!
Nats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. When I put that filter into Amazon though, it tells me that it doesn't fit my 2013 Sprinter 3500.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
2012 Solera 24S

I got the info directly off of the Mann filter website. I wouldn't trust Amazon.

https://www.mann-hummel.com/mf_prodk...tlg_subpage=02

You may also want to check that oil, I don't have time right now to research it thoroughly but from the Valvoline web site you may want to look into their MST oil for the Mercedes diesel with dpf.
Nats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #5

You will also need a filter wrench (the ones that plug into a rachet work fine) which are also available online. Make sure your oil meets spec 51 as well. Lots of posts on proper oil on this forum. Good luck.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:42 AM   #6

Thanks all. The Valvoline mentioned above meets the specs and was on sale until the end of April at Advance Auto parts for $5.49 a quart. The whole job with filter will cost me around $100.

Tags
2013, solera