Old 07-31-2015, 04:58 PM   #1

2014 solera r side door strut

Would one of you folks with a 2014 or 2015 solera please look at your side door gas strut ends and see if they match the last strut down pictured at

LaVanture Products - Gas Springs & Accessories

and if so if there are safety clips around those ends?

There are 4 struts pictured on the front of the LaVanture springs and acces. catalog and my wife and I are having a heck of a time getting the right end caps. We need the small round ones or the door will not close due to length and thickness of the other type of end caps. The two other (black) examples on the catalog cover will not work.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:41 PM   #2

You could just get a new strut and unscrew the ends of the old one they fit

Old 07-31-2015, 08:25 PM   #3

I broke the end off of my strut and I Googled the part number on it and found a replacement from Future Sales in Elkhart, IN. The item number was FS-448847-R. As I recall it cost $19.95 plus shipping of $12.95. The total was not cheap but I could not find any locally at RV dealers or auto parts stores. It was an exact replacement for the one on the door. The following is the link to the strut I ordered.....

FS-448847-R
I hope this helps. I have a 2014 24R.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidagn11 View Post
Would one of you folks with a 2014 or 2015 solera please look at your side door gas strut ends and see if they match the last strut down pictured at

LaVanture Products - Gas Springs & Accessories

and if so if there are safety clips around those ends?

There are 4 struts pictured on the front of the LaVanture springs and acces. catalog and my wife and I are having a heck of a time getting the right end caps. We need the small round ones or the door will not close due to length and thickness of the other type of end caps. The two other (black) examples on the catalog cover will not work.
Try looking here, it might get you closer.
2 NEW Lift Support End Fittings - 10MM Ball Socket - M6x1 ( 6MM ) Threaded Ends | eBay
Old 08-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #5

Thank you for the responses..

Still Kickin... are the ones you sent the link for what you have on your Solera... there are safety clips on them?
Old 08-01-2015, 09:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidagn11 View Post
Thank you for the responses..

Still Kickin... are the ones you sent the link for what you have on your Solera... there are safety clips on them?
Yes, exact replacement ends for the single closer piston on a 2012 Solera. Mine are a round plastic end with a plastic clip that when engaged, locks the piston end onto the ball. I have no idea if FR has changed it in subsequent years however. Hope that helps
Old 08-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #7

Still Kickin... that helps a lot. I guess the plastic clips popped off and that started the problem.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:28 PM   #8

Strut ends

Here are the ends that are on my 2016 Solera:
1 Gas Spring Strut Lavanture Steel Ball End Cap 10 mm Ball 6 mm Shaft | eBay

I replaced the cylinder, but the door still pushes open fast to the full extension of the rod. There is no damping force as there should be. Funny, but when the strut is out and I test it vertically, it seems to work as it should. When I mount it back on the door, it opens too fast. Someone suggested adjusting the position of the pins. There is no adjustment other than the small amount that you can get with moving the end caps in or out a little. The length of the stroke of the strut doesn't seem to affect its performance.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #9

I agree completely. I replaced the rod and the end caps etc and the door opens fast with no damping force at all.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:39 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfalbright View Post
Here are the ends that are on my 2016 Solera:
1 Gas Spring Strut Lavanture Steel Ball End Cap 10 mm Ball 6 mm Shaft | eBay

I replaced the cylinder, but the door still pushes open fast to the full extension of the rod. There is no damping force as there should be. Funny, but when the strut is out and I test it vertically, it seems to work as it should. When I mount it back on the door, it opens too fast. Someone suggested adjusting the position of the pins. There is no adjustment other than the small amount that you can get with moving the end caps in or out a little. The length of the stroke of the strut doesn't seem to affect its performance.
You have to re-position the anchor points themselves. Move them both closer to the hinge of the door. I moved mine 2-1/2" closer to the hinge. Works great.

Tags
2014, door, solera