Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2018, 07:47 PM   #1

2015 Solera walk in door latch

Hi All.

The warning is on the door, watch for loose striker plate. Well I don’t think you notice it’s loose till the door won’t unlock. Got on the road, stopped for reststop, bailed out the front doors and when we came back we couldn’t open the walk in door. Fiddled around and for no reason, other then being ripped off and left behind, it opened. I found that the striker plate was loose, tightened, tried a few times worked as it should and went on. Now it won’t open again, seems a little more pissy this time, took it loose on the inside and still no cooperation. Any thoughts?
Bagrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:17 PM   #2

this happened to me a couple of times

if the door side of the vehicle is flexed wrong, say on uneven ground

also if there is too much weight in the outside compartment just to the back of the entry door
Old 07-21-2018, 06:25 PM   #3

also a third thing happened which is hard to explain ( you may want to consult a locksmith )

at the back of the bolt there is a plastic anti-jimmy piece

mine was half broken and sometimes kept the bolt from moving until I disposed of it
Old 07-21-2018, 07:25 PM   #4

Not off kilter.

The first time it happened, Friday, it was sitting at the reststop parking area so nice and flat. Wouldn’t open for a few minutes and then, pop. The striker plate was loose so I tightened that up and it opened and closed easily. Got to the destination later that day and won’t open. Since then I opened the back and the key and the handle inside won’t move the dead bolt. There is a cover plate on the back of the mechanism that I don’t want to take off till I get home. If parts were to fling out and it not work at all I don’t want to go home with the door bunggied shut.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:58 PM   #5

It happened many times in my Solera. I kept tightening the strike plate and attempting other fixes. Finally the latch broke completely, it got really old, my large dogs and I coming in thru the front doors. I finally had the lockset replaced. Ps: my worthless, waste of money extended warranty wouldn't even reimburse me.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:34 PM   #6
TARVIDSON

Solera door latch

I don't know if you have the same latch as my 2015 Coachmen LE2150 but if so the latches break easily for numerous reasons. A new one costs about $90 and parts are not available. On mine the deadbolt will get you home without the bungee. I always make sure to have the keys to the front doors with me when I step out the door so I have an easy way to get back in.
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:48 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply’s, got it out. Had to take off the inside beauty plate and drill the studs off of the cover plate inside the unit. Then fish around till I could get the dead bolt to retract, then hit the latch to open. Should you have this problem you can not force the dead bolt to retract as there is a notch in the dead bolt that as soon as you poke at it the notch engages and it won’t move. The activator from key to dead bolt is nothing but a heavy wire and it stretch after a while and lets go of the bolt. Cheesy.

Tags
door, solera