Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2015, 06:50 PM   #1

2016 Solera Furnace on 24W

Hi All. Just got back from the Great Smokey Mountains. I purchased my 24W in June, and used my heat pump on this trip while plugged into shore power. On the way home I did not have access to shore power so I thought I would turn the furnace on to keep the coach warm and pipes/water heater not to freeze overnight. Frost and freezing temps in VA last night.

I turned the furnace on and it started working as designed. Pushing heat out of the round vents at the bottom by door, kitchen and bathroom. A bit of a funny odor but I may attribute that to the furnace being brand new and it's first use. As soon as the heat started leaving the vents the fire alarm by door started to sound.

Has anyone gotten this odor from furnace and the smoke alarm sounding?

The carbon monoxide detector never went off.
LoveLife7478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Your dealer should have informed you that the furnace needs to be run, to burn off oils from the factory.
It should be discussed during the PDI.
We were informed and opened windows to vent odors, before we went camping.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:50 PM   #3

Thanks Dan for the help. They did not mention that in the PDI. Would have been good to mention.
LoveLife7478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #4
Site Team

It took about fifteen minutes of running the furnace to burn off all the oil during our PDI. Then another fifteen minutes to vent the odor out! And that was with the door open, vent fans running and the windows open! Somebody gave our furnace a good coating!
Old 10-18-2015, 08:18 PM   #5

Thanks for posting that info. It wasn't shared with us either and we haven't turned the furnace on yet.

On another note something that was not shared with us on our W is you should hold the slide button in for 5 seconds after fully open or retracted. This allows the slide motors to sync up at 0 as they count rotations. I have been careful to let off the button as soon as in position so I wouldn't burn up the motors.

Once out of alignment it prematurely wears the gears and problems occur.

I found this out by going to the schwintek web site who makes the slide hardware.

That would be a great thing to mention in a pdi also!
Old 10-19-2015, 07:00 PM   #6
TARVIDSON

My directions say 2 seconds but the point is as you stated that you should not let off the button, the motors shut off on their own, give it time to sync. My dealer service manager had it exactly wrong, said to let off the second it closed.
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:52 PM   #7

Interesting info on holding the slide button down 5 more seconds. I also let up right away thinking it may burn out the motor.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, solera

« Solera | Oil tank »