Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
'79 Bonneville

24M converter malfunction

The converter in our 24M stopped working recently - batteries run down while connected to external AC. A fan used to start running when we turned on DC and that doesn't happen now.

Main problem right now is there is no manual for it and I can't even find it to see if it is just a fuse or something disconnected. Any clues regarding its physical location will be appreciated.
bcunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Year?

This is what your converter is located in if you have a wfco distribution center.

Name:   WFCO__51557.1272905483.120.120.jpeg
Views: 222
Size:  3.5 KB

Name:   19-0586-color.jpeg
Views: 221
Size:  30.0 KB
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Wfco converters are known to have cheap fans that go out then your converter overheats and dies.
If in fact its bad consider replacing it with a progressive dynamics brands converter.
Way better unit.

Turbs
Old 06-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #4

X2
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
'79 Bonneville

I have a Progressive Dynamics Power Control Center with a WFCO converter mounted on the floor directly behind it.

I'm trying to find out whether there are any accessible fuses I can check before I start removing things. The WFCO is not charging the batteries and the fan is not running. Any diagnostic tips will be appreciated.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcunning View Post
I have a Progressive Dynamics Power Control Center with a WFCO converter mounted on the floor directly behind it.

I'm trying to find out whether there are any accessible fuses I can check before I start removing things. The WFCO is not charging the batteries and the fan is not running. Any diagnostic tips will be appreciated.
If I remember correctly there are 2 fuses directly on the pd unit "15" amp
2 - 40 amp battery terminal switch fuses on the wfco panel "separate from rest" and the 110v breaker.

Turbs
Old 06-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
2018 FR3 30DS

I have a 2011 Solera S. Last year the converter bit the dust and had to be replaced. However, I never thought to check for a tripped breaker (110 volts) so you might start there first. If you don't have a tripped breaker, then I would guess your converter has gone out.
My breaker panel is directly under the oven.
My converter is located directly above the water heater. I had to remove the right side panel in the big storage area to get to the converter. It is a WFCO WF9855 that had to be replaced. Had it done at Camping World.
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #8
'79 Bonneville

The converter on our 24M is a WFCO model WF-9855 located behind the power distribution panel below the drawers next to the refrigerator. It can be accessed by removing the drawers. There are fuses on the hot and cold lines to the batteries but they are not blown. The unit apparently failed. It has a 2-year manufacturers warranty and the replacement is due to arrive tomorrow. The warranty covers a half hour for labor for installation and return of the bad unit is by a prepaid UPS label.

Good service by WFCO. Their tech support team also provided good advice on testing and diagnosis.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

To late now but I'd have upgraded that pos wfco with a progressive dynamics converter. Imo

Turbs
Old 06-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
'79 Bonneville

Turbs,

I did consider upgrading (per your previous reply) but the deal with the warranty is the replacement is free and it may last as long as we have the Solera. If it fails outside the warranty, I'll reconsider the upgrade option.

Thanks for the advice.

Bruce
Old 06-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcunning View Post
Turbs,

I did consider upgrading (per your previous reply) but the deal with the warranty is the replacement is free and it may last as long as we have the Solera. If it fails outside the warranty, I'll reconsider the upgrade option.

Thanks for the advice.

Bruce
No problem bruce.

I have an original wfco in my sabre and knowing what I do about these things I actually added another fan to the system that I can turn on and off.
Just to help it stay cooler and should the fans on the wfco go out I still have mine to rely on before a replacement progressive dynamics can be ordered.

Turbs