Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #1

24R rear slide size?

Can someone with a 24R please do some measuring for me? We just ordered one and need to know how far out the slide goes (straight back), and how far up from the hitch the bottom of the slide is. We have a 4-bike rack that goes into the hitch. It has a hinge that allows it to fold down to the ground fully loaded (for cars and SUVs so you can get into the trunk without unloading the bikes) - but we're trying to figure out if it will fold out of the way far enough so that the slide can slide out over top of it. We'd REALLY hate to have to unload all of the bikes just for a quick stop over. . . Thanks!
knutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:35 AM   #2

I will measure today and let you know.

David
DavidS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:45 PM   #3

The slide extends 34" and the bottom flange is 42" above the center of the hitch.
DavidS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #4

Thanks, David S!
knutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #5

I think our bike rack will work - as soon as our rig comes in, we'll set it up and take a pic to post here on the forums. Thanks again!
Old 03-24-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
San Diego Rob

Knutter, did the bike rack work? What rack model is it? Would you be able to upload a pic?

Thanks
San Diego Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:29 AM   #7

San Diego Rob,
Based on measurements, it's going to be close. It's all going to depend on exactly how far up the handle bars on each of the 4 bikes sits up off the rack.

Our Solera doesn't come in for a few more weeks, but yes, when it does I'll post a pic and the results of whether or not it will work! Thanks!
Old 07-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #8

This is a concern of mine too. I ride my bike down to pick up our current RV, then put my bike on the rack to drive the RV home. We are considering down-sizing to the 24R and I wondered if the rack will work with the slide. Mine can tilt too, but with my bad memory, it's just a matter of time before--CRUNCH,--oops, I forgot to tilt the rack down first!
Hmnbrdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:58 PM   #9

Bike Racks on the Solera 24R

Well, I've finally gotten around to taking and posting some pics. As noted in the posts above, we have a 4-bike hitch rack that we take with us. When we purchased the Solera 24R, we were worried that the bike rack and rear bedroom slide would conflict and that we'd have to take off all of our bikes each time we stopped for the night. However, early measurements were later confirmed when we received our Solera - YES! The bike rack worked! Our Yakima rack would allow us to lay it down half way - while fully loaded, so that we could put the rear slide out without taking the bikes off. We later found a more heavy duty bike rack from 1upUSA that also is able to be folded half way down in order to put the slide out as well. I've included several pics below of each type of rack with the slide in and out. I've also included a picture of the post-it note we have posted to the slide out switch in the bedroom that reads "BIKES!!!" so that we remember to remove or lay the rack down BEFORE we put the slide out! I hope this post with pics is helpful. Thanks to all who responded above!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yakimabike rack2.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	58177   Click image for larger version

Name:	yakimabikerack1.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	58178   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike rack 1upUSA.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	58179   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike rack 1upUSA2.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	58180   Click image for larger version

Name:	bikenotification.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	58181  

Old 07-15-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
Commercial Member

that's a nice set up. Glad it worked out like we planned it all along

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:24 AM   #11

24R rear slide size?

Love the warning on the switch! We use blue painter tape for no-no's (like water heater when its tank is empty, water pump when the FW tank is empty). We have. 2401R and plan to take bikes with a drop down rack, so we will be taping that one off too! Otherwise a disaster is just too likely despite the best discipline (realizing preferably someone would always be out there watching...).

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 04-22-2016, 04:51 PM   #12

We are looking for a solution to adding bike racks on our RV or on the car that we tow.
We would appreciate any suggestions.

Wanda & Richard
Ramesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramesh View Post
We are looking for a solution to adding bike racks on our RV or on the car that we tow.
I don't like my bikes outside, so I tow a Honda HR-V. With the bike front wheels off I can mount the bikes on "bike tights", attached to a board in the back of the HR-V, so they ride upright and out of the weather. The HR-V and the Honda Fit were the only two current vehicles I could find which combined towability, (relatively) light weight, and the ability to carry bikes like this.

Dave
Old 04-22-2016, 11:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramesh View Post
We would appreciate any suggestions.

Wanda & Richard

Well if you are towing a car, you can put the bikes on top of the car or on the back. That way they won't add to the weight of your RV against its GVWR (at least if you are towing it flat, without a dolly) and they won't be in the way of the rear slider (or the car towing hitch...you would have to choose car vs. bike on the back of the RV).

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R

Tags
slide