Old 08-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
24R Summary after 5 month and 6000 miles

I got my 24R March 20th, and just returned from a long trip from Warrensburg MO to Colorado cruising thru the mountains and then home to FL. Just shy of 6000 miles - and I am delighted about the coach!
Its not my first one, but the best: the last I had was a Jayco Granite Ridge on a E 550 Ford chassis - that was a truck compared to the Solera, which drives like a dream. Very easy to handle like a van, that diesel engine is just great - smooth and quiet. And as soon as a park and put the rear slide out I have the same length or space as before and more storage! Fuel vise its no comparison, on my trip I was averaging about 15 mpg/gal which is in my book great. Going down the Hwy with AC on is the worst - about 14, but going up and down the mountains I got vey close to 17!
And wherever I park people come and admire and ask ......maybe I should ask for a referral fee...
One of the best things is the queen size bed - it is very comfortable without any add-ons.

Of course I had my fair share of problems, hopefully they are all sorted out by started bad when I got the motorhome -see my other thread
"Battery Isolator-!2V from Ignition "which was resolved with the help of FR. Since that :
-Sink cover just broke in 2 pieces by placing coffee pot on it - replaced by FR , just had to pay return shipping
-Molding around side slide out just got loose and fall off, bad work - fixed it myself
-Fridge gave up without warning, all the frozen stuff was garbage: fixed myself: fuse in the control board fall out of the fuse holder, very loose fitting.
-after 3.1 hours of run time Lp genset decided to shutdown by itself in the worst moment in the middle of nowhere with empty house battery. Nightmare to get it fixed, had to wait till I returned to FL- great service from Cummins in Ft Myers then: called them Monday, got an appointment the next day and after 8 hrs of work and a 39$ spare part it was running again. The coil was shot - but they had to take the whole unit out and disassemble the whole thing to get to it. Very friendly people there, warranty.
-Mirror above the sink just fell out of its frame. Had a new one cut and replaced myself.
-Baggage door left rear slid down about 1/2 inch when open, slight damage (scratches ) when closing. Bad hinge - workmanship, fixed myself
-Radio/ Gps is a joke -but there are many posts already about that and I was aware of it (or should I say afraid) before I bought my unit. Best button is on the lower left corner: "reset"
-Last thing: maybe bclemens can help? One of the slam door latches is binding and does not fully retract. Disassembled it and cleaned it, no good, need a new one. Maybe FR can sent a replacement, upon receipt will sent the old one back????? Hate to go see a dealer again
In all it sounds like a lot went wrong - I do not think so and have seen and worse in the past. Forest River has a true winner with the Solera and I enjoy it!

My wife thinks the same way with 2 exceptions:
-she is too short and needs a stepstool (heard that before???)
-the coach is too big for her (she does not want to drive!!!!)

Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #2

Glad you like your 24R, we love our 24S. You might want to check with the dealer ship you got yours from on the latch. I had problems with my CO/gas detector and the dealer ship sent me a new one after I contacted them. It's always good to be able to fix stuff on your own, I prefer that to waiting for someone else to do it. Good luck with your rig.

Henry & Tena
2013 Solera 24S
The Great Escape
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Yes, unfortunately we don't stock the latch. We buy the doors with the latch on them. Maybe call April, see if she can order just the latch to replace the one you have.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
Hey Loe, where exactly was that "loose" fuse located on the fridge control panel. Just in case
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
When you open the side panel outside the coach for the fridge you see a black plastic box : on top is one screw and the bottom you have to prey open (instructions imprinted on the box) with a screwdriver. 2 fuses inside...
Old 08-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
Originally Posted by Loefflerh View Post
[FONT=Verdana] Warrensburg MO
What! a fellow FROG in Warrensburg!!!!

2006 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab 5.9L Cummins 4X4
2010 Forest River Flagstaff 831QBSS - Equal-i-zer Hitch
2011 HD Fatboy Lo & 2000 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
Nights Camped 2010 (7), 2011 (15), 2012 (35) 2013 (40) 2014 (22) 2015 (12) 2016 (Planning)
troyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
Troyt, I actually live in FL Naples, but most of the time my Solera will be in Warrensburg at my sons house...where are you at?

bclemens, thank you for your help. I am not only delighted about the Solera - about customer service as well. A door latch is on the way!
Old 09-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #8

Take your wife out to an empty parking lot and teach her how to drive the RV. If you have never driven anything bigger than your car it can be very intimidating. But she needs to know how...if there should ever be an emergency with you what is she going to do?

I took a driving class at Lazy Days outside of Tampa for our 38' RV so our Solera is a piece of cake! Tell her once you learn the "tricks" it is just time behind the wheel. (And really not that much to get comfortable.)

Fla Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
Easy to drive

The main reason we bought a Solera is because I loved driving it, so tell your wife to try. I have to fight my husband to let me drive it but we try to share unless it is a short trip. We just installed a brake on our jeep so I will have to see if it follows like everyone says it does. Most short trips we just put a bike rack on the back and cycle!
Marque74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #10
Northern Most Member ?
I posted this note in another thread last week but thought i would say it again !

In june I drove our new 24R from Michigan to Alaska, 6500 miles, via LA in 15 days. I am 6"4 and 250 lbs.
There were several 700 mile days and nights and I must say it was one of the most enjoyable drives I have done. The seats, the visibility and effortless power of the tubo diesel made for a fantastic trip!

113 in Vegas at night and I didn't know it until I opened the door when i stopped for fuel.....great air con!

I averaged 15-17 mph, the coach was very light for a fast trip but I was pushing it and cruised at 60-75 most the way......I love this design and this chassis !!

Tim + Denise Taylor
Denali Park Alaska
2013 Solera 24R
Toolman Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote