Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2016, 01:25 PM   #1

24S corner mattress

Has anyone with a Solera 24S changed out their corner mattress with a memory foam mattress? How much better is it? About how much was the cost? And did you order it through your dealer or someone else? after the last trip on the mattress that came with it I want something else.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:10 PM   #2
2012 Solera

Henry - We flipped the mattress (didn't worry about the rounded corner - not really enough rounding to make a difference) and added a 4 inch memory foam topper from Amazon. Something like:
https://www.amazon.com/Double-Elasti...attress+topper
As I remember the "full" was what we bought, but check dimensions. Pretty easy to trim down with a big scissors. We also got a futon cover to zipper up the mattress with the memory foam into a single unit. Again, as I remember, "full" size - similar to:
https://www.amazon.com/Colorful-Qual...mattress+cover

Worked for us ...
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:48 PM   #3
2012 Solera 24S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
Has anyone with a Solera 24S changed out their corner mattress with a memory foam mattress? How much better is it? About how much was the cost? And did you order it through your dealer or someone else? after the last trip on the mattress that came with it I want something else.
Kept the mattress, added a 3" gel foam topper. Trimmed the topper with an electric knife to match the curve.

SIGNIFICANT improvement over the mattress alone and this combination stays below the window level.
Nats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:50 PM   #4

X2
Put on a 4 inch ultra foam topper
Made it much more comfortable
Although I like sleeping above the cab on the hard mattress.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:54 AM   #5

Thanks for the in put, I put a foam topper on it a couple of years ago just didn't seem to work. Maybe I need to run over the mattress with a steamroller a couple of times? If nothing else I got the DW to go along with getting a recliner set to put in the dinette area. Maybe sleeping on the recliners and save the bed for company.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:27 AM   #6

bought new foam from foamfactory.com. cut open seam of cover. cut foam to size with electric knife. resewed cover.

incredible improvement. found there are many grades of foam. stock was 3 year throwaway junk. i bought 17 year foam, firm type. my favorite upgrade so far...
tommyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:05 AM   #7

The stock corner mattress in our 2011 was just awful. Pretty much collapsed after a half dozen uses. Can't really put a topper on that.

I found a great deal on a memory foam mattress at woot.com and cut the corner with an electric knife. Not as clean as if it was molded that way but is fine once the sheet is on.

Huge improvement in comfort.
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote