Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2018, 05:49 PM   #1

6 Volt House Batteries

I have a 2014 FR Solera 24R. The house batteries are under the top entry step and are two Type 27 Flooded "deep cycle" marine batteries from Costco. I am considering doing some off the grid camping this year and need more amp hours than is currently supplies by my batteries (about 160 amp hours because they are connected parallel) and have been considering changing to two 6 volt true deep cycle golf cart batteries such as the Interstate GC2 with reserve capacity of 107 amp hours or Trojan T125 with 240 amp hours. The problem is the GC batteries are too tall to fit under the step. Has anyone found another location or used a different battery type under the step that will give significantly more capacity than what I now have? Other ideas welcome. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:12 PM   #2
Always Learning

IF you have deep pockets, lithium batteries will offer you a tremendous amount of increased amp hours for less weight and the same group 27 size.

http://battlebornbatteries.com/shop/...cycle-battery/

A single 12v lithium drop-in by Battle Born is 29 lbs. and has close to the equivalent of 200ah of lead batteries (which shouldn't be drawn down past 50% state of charge). BB says you can use all 100AH of their batteries.

A pair of 2 will give you 200 usable amp hours (equivalent to 400ah in lead batteries).

You MIGHT need to upgrade your converter/charger to be lithium-aware.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David100 View Post
Has anyone found another location or used a different battery type under the step that will give significantly more capacity than what I now have? Other ideas welcome.
I saw a posting about this sometime in the past few months. One of our fellow MBS drivers had removed the top of the step, added a bit of spacing on top of the walls of the battery compartment, and then reinstalled the top of the step.

As reported, the amount of additional height required wasn't huge and the difference in step height wasn't thought to be a problem.

Dave
Old 01-17-2018, 08:36 PM   #4

Thanks ependydad. I see what you mean IF I have deep pockets. Wow! Those batteries are $949 EASCH!!! Even if I had the pockets, I think my wife would have my head examined if I told her what I wanted to do. And DaveJordan thanks. I'd might do a mock up to see how my wife's bad knees would take the extra step rise. Certainly worth thinking about. Do you remember who posted on the MBS forum or when?
Old 01-17-2018, 11:32 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by David100 View Post
Thanks ependydad. I see what you mean IF I have deep pockets. Wow! Those batteries are $949 EASCH!!! Even if I had the pockets, I think my wife would have my head examined if I told her what I wanted to do.

I explained to my wife about all of the awesome boondocking it opens!

Maybe promise to take her to Albuquerque to the International Balloon Fiesta!

https://flickr.com/photos/7200488@N0...57687401476784
Old 01-18-2018, 08:40 AM   #6

David, I have four AGM batteries. They are a tiny bit taller than the originals. The step was modified to accommodate two of them (no noticeable height difference when you use the steps). The other two are in the exterior storage compartment next to the entry (mine is a 24S Solera).
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:08 PM   #7

Sorry I can't go to the camper and look at the brand, but I was able to find some good 6v batteries shorter than the Trojans. I'm glad I changed from the size 27 12v.
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharSolera View Post
David, I have four AGM batteries. They are a tiny bit taller than the originals. The step was modified to accommodate two of them (no noticeable height difference when you use the steps). The other two are in the exterior storage compartment next to the entry (mine is a 24S Solera).
Thanks. Did you have someone do the install? Seems like a lot to rewiring if two of the batteries are in a storage compartment.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn.Ken View Post
Sorry I can't go to the camper and look at the brand, but I was able to find some good 6v batteries shorter than the Trojans. I'm glad I changed from the size 27 12v.
Thanks. I disconnected my batteries and have them in my garage right now because I was seeing a .2 amp load on the batteries with the disconnect switch in the off position. Glad I did because we have been having an extended stretch of extremely cold temperature--at least for the Memphis, TN area. If you would, and when you can, let me know the brand of batteries you installed. I am not in a rush to make a changeover. Still gathering knowledge. Also, did you go with two or four 6 volt batteries?
Old 01-18-2018, 03:15 PM   #10

David the basic interstate GC2's have 210 amp hours at the 20 hours rate not 107 as you stated. They also have an Extreme Cycle line which provides 225A/H.
If you plan to do a lot of boondocking...you might consider the Signature or RVline from Trojan and both have 3 GC2 models ...T105/T125/T605.. in flooded batteries...the T125 offers 240ah.
Note that TESTING is not the same between the two manufacturers AND cycle life expectations are not stated...amp hours ain't the whole story!
Personally I'd get the Trojans of your choice if within your budget for long life & cycles.
If you don't boondock a lot...you might consider the Costco or Sams' golf cart batts since cycle life is not an issue so much when you are mostly plugged in.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #11

David, I have five hundred watts of solar on the roof, so the wiring had to be changed anyway. I hired a guy who does solar to do the installation.
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:08 PM   #12

Sunseeker thread

This thread was in my email feed yesterday and thought it just might have something you can use. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...es-151367.html Hope this helps Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #13
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
IF you have deep pockets, lithium batteries will offer you a tremendous amount of increased amp hours for less weight and the same group 27 size.

http://battlebornbatteries.com/shop/...cycle-battery/

A single 12v lithium drop-in by Battle Born is 29 lbs. and has close to the equivalent of 200ah of lead batteries (which shouldn't be drawn down past 50% state of charge). BB says you can use all 100AH of their batteries.

A pair of 2 will give you 200 usable amp hours (equivalent to 400ah in lead batteries).

You MIGHT need to upgrade your converter/charger to be lithium-aware.
X2. The Battleborns are very very impressive, both in capacity plus high resting voltage, very low voltage drop with a high amperage load like an inverter, etc. convention chargers work but may not get the lithiums to 100 percent.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:21 PM   #14
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
David the basic interstate GC2's have 210 amp hours at the 20 hours rate not 107 as you stated. They also have an Extreme Cycle line which provides 225A/H.
If you plan to do a lot of boondocking...you might consider the Signature or RVline from Trojan and both have 3 GC2 models ...T105/T125/T605.. in flooded batteries...the T125 offers 240ah.
Note that TESTING is not the same between the two manufacturers AND cycle life expectations are not stated...amp hours ain't the whole story!
Personally I'd get the Trojans of your choice if within your budget for long life & cycles.
If you don't boondock a lot...you might consider the Costco or Sams' golf cart batts since cycle life is not an issue so much when you are mostly plugged in.
Those Amphours quotes are at 6 volt and you need to state that for clarity. 105 ah per battery, 210 ah for the pair together. Whew
Old 01-18-2018, 07:12 PM   #15

6 volt Batteries in Series

When you parallel 2 12 volt batteries you double the AHs, when you series 2 6 volt batteries you do not double the Amp Hours.
Sealyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:35 PM   #16

I apologize if I misstated the Costco Interstate Golf Cart 6 volt battery reserve charge. I got that information from the battery label. See photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	160470  
Old 01-24-2018, 11:32 PM   #17

When comparing the Battle Born Lithium batteries to lead acid keep in mind that the Lithium batteries will last 3,000 to 5,000 cycles which should be 10 to 15 years while the lead acid need to be replaced every year or two to maintain top performance. $949 dollars is expensive for a battery but when you consider that they have twice the capacity of a lead acid battery and 5 times or more useful life they actually end up costing the same or less in the long run and provide better performance. Of course this is only useful if you are going to keep the RV for an extended period. I had to replace my first batteries after one year. When the second set fail I plan to change to Lithium. Also if you are looking at 6 volt batteries you need 2 in series and as Sealyn said the amp hours do not double with them in series.
cpottey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Those Amphours quotes are at 6 volt and you need to state that for clarity. 105 ah per battery, 210 ah for the pair together. Whew
Huh?? the amp hours on a 6V battery are 210 hours AND a pair wired in serial as usual to provide 12V ALSO measures 210 amp hours. ONLY if you ran them at 6V in parallel would the amp hours double to 420 amp hours.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Huh?? the amp hours on a 6V battery are 210 hours AND a pair wired in serial as usual to provide 12V ALSO measures 210 amp hours. ONLY if you ran them at 6V in parallel would the amp hours double to 420 amp hours.

Yes, but RV accessories run on 12 volts DC.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpottey View Post
When comparing the Battle Born Lithium batteries to lead acid keep in mind that the Lithium batteries will last 3,000 to 5,000 cycles which should be 10 to 15 years while the lead acid need to be replaced every year or two to maintain top performance. $949 dollars is expensive for a battery but when you consider that they have twice the capacity of a lead acid battery and 5 times or more useful life they actually end up costing the same or less in the long run and provide better performance. Of course this is only useful if you are going to keep the RV for an extended period. I had to replace my first batteries after one year. When the second set fail I plan to change to Lithium. Also if you are looking at 6 volt batteries you need 2 in series and as Sealyn said the amp hours do not double with them in series.
Specs are nice but real world performance is what counts and battleborn or ANY LifePo4 drop in battery used in a conventional modern 3 or 4 stage charging system had NO proven track record AND there is considerable evidence that they will become expensive failures within 3 years. I've posted an article here several times by a leading independent tester for major boating mags using all the latest test equipment AND running his own shop for several decades. He has a pile of 67 LifePo4's that have failed in service to his customers. Add that cost up! .
He is not against lithium. What he is against is marketing something to work with conventional systems that will be destroyed by those same systems. The move to lithium is much more complex than simply replacing your old batteries. Here is his latest quote and a new link.

"
WARNING:
Unless you want a big fat dent, where your wallet used to be, I do not believe LiFePO4 is ready for mass DIY prime time builds. Read with CAUTION!!! If you think you want LiFePO4 PLEASE READ VERY CAREFULLY! Once you are done reading this, and it makes sense to you, then please spend another 6-8 months reading everything you can including every single LiFePO4 white paper you can get your hands on.
Since opening this article to the public I have now had what I consider and insane number of *LFP owners contact me who have ruined LiFePo4 batteries (not all marine based). In almost all of these cases of destroyed LiFePO4 batteries the resounding tone I hear come through is; “People on the internet made it sound easy.” The internet has a name for these kind of cheerleaders “fan boys“. Do yourself a favor and don’t jump to conclusions where large sums of money are involved over “fan boy” postings. PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH! YOUR RESEARCH DOES NOT END WITH THIS ARTICLE! This article is BARELY scratching the surface and is not even touching on the actual science, which is complex, and not the intent of this article.

Drop-In:
I really even hate to mention this type of system because it has so many issues, when installed on a boat, that I find it tough to swallow making mention of them. Some of these systems lack a BMS altogether and others only have a single relay that disconnects the bank on low or high voltage. This relay is often rated at a ridiculously low amperage capability of around 70A – 100A. If it seems to good to be true, it probably is! Caveat emptor on Li Drop-In’s.
I URGE STRONG CAUTION ON ANY “DROP-IN” LFP BATTERY"

Read the whole thing. https://marinehowto.com/lifepo4-batteries-on-boats/

Tags
batteries