Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #1

A few electrical question

Sitting here reading up on proper battery charging methods getting ready for the upcoming season,rased a question or two. Where is the Inverter located on the 24S. Also, does anyone know if it is the "three stage" type inverter, allowing for a quicker coach battery charging sequence, when the generator or AC shore power is connected.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
2018 FR3 30DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteSolera View Post
Sitting here reading up on proper battery charging methods getting ready for the upcoming season,rased a question or two. Where is the Inverter located on the 24S. Also, does anyone know if it is the "three stage" type inverter, allowing for a quicker coach battery charging sequence, when the generator or AC shore power is connected.
If not mistaken, inverters are not standard on the 24S. The inverter changes dc current to ac current.
The converter changes (converts) ac current to dc. If this is what you are seeking, I will try to help. I had to replace my converter last year (2011 Solera). Open your big storage door on passenger side and remove the right panel. You can see the converter at the very top on the right. (Also you can see the 3 valves for turning the water off/on to your water heater.)
The converter has a wire that plugs into an ac outlet and two wires coming out the other end that are dc current. Yes..the converter on mine is the 3 stage. I think all this is correct since it's been a while since I was looking in there.
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:44 AM   #3
Site Team

you're getting the terms "inverter" and "converter" mixed up.

all RV's come with converters. as Slow Movin states, it converts AC shore power to DC power for the things that usually run on battery power.

an inverter does the opposite, converts 12v DC power to 110v AC power.
this is not factory-installed on most RV's, usually only large motorhomes. some
5th wheels have them as an option.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:16 AM   #4

FR is installing 12V TVs in the Solera, so the need for an inverter is minimized. You may need it for small appliances or chargers for a cellphone, etc., but you can get a small portable inverter that will do that job. A lot less costly... And no installation expense.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
FR is installing 12V TVs in the Solera, so the need for an inverter is minimized. You may need it for small appliances or chargers for a cellphone, etc., but you can get a small portable inverter that will do that job. A lot less costly... And no installation expense.
When I'm hooked up to a 30 amp at a campground, my cell will charge. I'm fairly sure it would if the gen was running too. Why would you need an inverter?
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:16 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
When I'm hooked up to a 30 amp at a campground, my cell will charge. I'm fairly sure it would if the gen was running too. Why would you need an inverter?
When you don't have electrical hook-up and don't want to run a generator.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
Commercial Member

To confirm, the converter is 3 stage.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
You could also charge it in the 12V receptacle in the cab. Nice to have an inverter to maybe power the satellite receiver & not be running the gen late @ night. If you ONLY camp with hook ups, you're right - you'll not need an inverter. But camping in parks without hook ups, running a gen late at night may be hazardous to your health (LOL).
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #9

Thanks. Meant converter. I had an inverter installed when purchasing to close the deal. And Dave your right , its handy when dry camping. Also, it allows me to just charge the electronics on the go with the existing 110 AC chargers that come with the electronic gizmos and not have cab clutter.
Thanks for all the input, its always nice to know there are like mined people who have constructive input. Also, thanks again BC, at FR ,for adding to this.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote