Old 05-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #1

A few freezing hours each night

If the Solera is plugged into the 15amp plug outside my garage, can I run both the furnace and the arctic pack without blowing everything up? I don't need the generator do I? We have a couple of freezing nights coming up and I just need to protect the fresh water for a few hours each night. Thanks for any insights!

Old 05-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #2

I have a cruiser as my primary freezing concern. It is a 1968 so the lines are copper and not as forgiving as most of our camper plumbing. I figure it takes several hours at 25F go get me concerned especially if the day has been sunny and warm. The latent heat in the unit is going to mitigate the temperatures you will experience.
Now for the BUT, if you have lines near exteriors that will not be reasonably insulated from the outside you may want to take additional measures. These could be anything from as little as opening drawers or doors to allow interior temp to help moderate, adding a trouble light to an area or just putting an electric heater in the unit set to keep it around 40F. Good luck, the advice is worth the cost and comes with no warranty.
Tim

Old 05-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #3

Haha! Seems to me the advice is worth more than the cost! I think I will sleep in it, open the space where the pipes run to the water heater and use the furnace to keep the fresh water tank and lines warm enough. I think the furnace just uses propane and 12v to light it....so maybe the 15 amp power source will be enough for the arctic packs on the gray and black tanks AND the furnace igniter. I hope so, anyway. Thank you.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionap View Post
If the Solera is plugged into the 15amp plug outside my garage, can I run both the furnace and the arctic pack without blowing everything up? I don't need the generator do I? We have a couple of freezing nights coming up and I just need to protect the fresh water for a few hours each night. Thanks for any insights!
Marion:
Depends. The RV blower runs on DC, as does the arctic pac. My guess is you'll draw your batteries down faster than your converter can recharge them with only a 15amp service. Depends on how cold it gets and much the furnace runs. Are you sure it's only 15amps? Most construction these days uses 20amp breakers on outside plugins. If your garage is connected to the house, I'd expect it to be a 20a plug. If the garage is free standing, it may only be 15A - check your breaker. You'd probably be OK on 20amp.

Apparently you have something in your holding tanks you're worried about freezing. If it were me, I'd drain the fresh water and low drain lines, and add pink to the gray and black tanks and not worry about the arctic pak.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #5

This is great...thank you. I just checked, and you are right, the plug is 20 amps. I have never winterized or de winterized so am not sure how to add the pink correctly. It seems too complicated to learn tonight. And it's just a couple of nights with warm days. So I will trust that furnace plus arctic paks will keep it warm enough, and that the electrical system can handle it. And hope I am right.... Again, thank you.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionap View Post
This is great...thank you. I just checked, and you are right, the plug is 20 amps. I have never winterized or de winterized so am not sure how to add the pink correctly. It seems too complicated to learn tonight. And it's just a couple of nights with warm days. So I will trust that furnace plus arctic paks will keep it warm enough, and that the electrical system can handle it. And hope I am right.... Again, thank you.
As for adding pink antifreeze to gray and black tanks, just pour some down the sink drain, and pour some in the toilet and open the toilet valve. Might be an extra measure of caution. I'd add half a gallon to each. You can always buy it at Advance or Autozone.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #7

M, where are you? If you have warm days you will have a warm camper and warm water, it takes a fair amount of cold to get water cold enough to expand and break things, my 25F comment. Set your alarm for 3 AM and go run some water through the faucets and go back to bed.
For research purposes put a dish of water outside on a shady side, 1" depth of water, check to see what it looks like at 5AM. If it is just a skim don't even worry, if it is solid maybe add heat to the camper.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
Marion:
Depends. The RV blower runs on DC, as does the arctic pac. My guess is you'll draw your batteries down faster than your converter can recharge them with only a 15amp service.
Bad guess.
The 15 amp house plug is many times more than enough to run the converter flat out.
Remember what the regular 30 amp service in a camper runs; air conditioner, fireplace, microwave, etc, etc, plus charging the battery for 12-volt stuff.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #9

Oh! This is all great. Adding the pink stuff is about as easy as it gets...sheesh. I live in central Oregon, where, at our altitude, we're usually past freezing temps, but will have periodic overnight freezing and even a bit of snow this time of year. Days get into 50s to 70s. Supposed to get snow tonight and tomorrow night...so just worrying. The overnight testing sequence is great! And glad to know the 15-20 amp service is enough. Sounds like, using your brains, I and my new Solera will make it thru the night. Best to you all!