Old 09-03-2015, 05:04 PM   #1

AC Have Built-in Delay?

I am installing a Progressive Industries hard wired surge protector. In setting it up, you have a choice between a factory set 15 second delay, or you can configure a 2 minute+ delay. Which way to go depends on whether or not the Air Conditioner has a delay built-in. Apparently some newer units have that safety feature built-in. My question is, does the Air Conditioner on my Solera have that feature, or must I configure for the longer delay? I cannot find any documentation on my AC unit in the packets of stuff that I got from the dealer so I do not know the model number or anything. I guess I could climb up on the roof and look for it.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfalbright View Post
I am installing a Progressive Industries hard wired surge protector. In setting it up, you have a choice between a factory set 15 second delay, or you can configure a 2 minute+ delay. Which way to go depends on whether or not the Air Conditioner has a delay built-in. Apparently some newer units have that safety feature built-in. My question is, does the Air Conditioner on my Solera have that feature, or must I configure for the longer delay? I cannot find any documentation on my AC unit in the packets of stuff that I got from the dealer so I do not know the model number or anything. I guess I could climb up on the roof and look for it.
I assume it is a Dometic? Go to their website and have a look. Good question if there is a built in delay. I will try to find out for my Prism.

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfalbright View Post
The model number will be on a plate/tag inside the coach under the filter cover.
Remove the grill and filter and you will see the tag.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:13 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

I had a devil of a time finding out if my Dometic did or didn't. I finally found something that seemed to imply that it did and went with that. Don't know where or what I found, though.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #5

I wired mine with the 15 sec. delay. My a/c units have a delay of 5 minutes but the controls operate off the 12volt side not the 120volt side so if you have the 12 volt on then the delay is already gone. Best advice is to turn off the a/c unit at the stat then when you hook up to shore power set the stat back to cool.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #6

The Dometic Brisk II AC has a factory 2 minute delay. The delay works off the availability of 120v.

I also have a Progressive hardwired EMS and left it at the factory 15 second delay.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:03 PM   #7

I Love This Forum!

Thank you to all who responded to my question -- this time and previously. Your responses have been very helpful and prompt. This is a great resource. Thanks, again.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:00 PM   #8

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
I was in the AC business for 40 years, so I can advise you with experience that the 2+ minute surge protector is a wiser choice. The stats delay the AC from coming on for a very important reason......the high and low pressures in the compressor need to equalize so it's not such a kick in the face for the compressor when it tries to come on too soon. Most of the latest stats have delays for that reason. You can find out if you have delay stats by waiting for it to shut off in the Auto mode,,,,then drop the stat setting so it will try to come on. If it comes right on, you don't have delays,,,,,it'll delay for 3 to 5 minutes if you have the delay type stats, which you'll hope you have. This test won't hurt your compressor just to find out,,,,,but delays will prolong your compressor for longer years of good service.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #9

Turn up the Tstat to shut the A/C down and crank it down again 30 seconds later. It if starts up you have no delay. That is the only way to know for sure.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:53 PM   #10

Can I hijack and ask if the a/c cycles like in a house's central air? What I mean is once it reaches temperature does the fan and a/c shut off until the temp rises above limit or does the fan continue and the compressor shutoff?