Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #1

AC problems

I'm writing this to Solera owners to see if they've had any problems. I been out for about 1 1/2 weeks and have noticed that the coach AC wants to run a lot. I placed a fan on the floor blowing up into the area where the thermo stat is and this causes the AC to shut down and run normally coming on when the temp increases. I've also notice the AC tries to shut down without the fan running but kicks back on almost instantly, almost like there was a power surge anyone else had any problems like this?
Old 06-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #2

hi Henry - when we were on our FL Keys trip, our AC seemed to come on, go off, come back on almost immediately. So, got tired of "hearing it" so put the fan on low always and took it off auto. Seemed to at least solve the off/on constantly issue - at least hearing it! AC seemed to do ok - late afternoons when it was very warm outside, it also was warmer in the coach. But by the late evening, it chilled down well. So ... my suggestion is to put the fan on low and when you get home, maybe have someone look at it - but it might just be the nature of the beast.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #3

Like any HVAC sysem, when the thermostat is satisfied, the system will turn off. I haven't used A/C yet this year, but we did use the heat pump extensively. I noticed that the ceiling duct nearest the thermostat affected the system by blowing warm air toward the wall where tstat is mounted, and the system would cycle on/off repeatedly. The thermostat was heating up but the room was still cool. As soon as the system turned off, the tstat would cool down and the heat pump would come right back on. I finally closed the ceiling ducts nearest the thermostat and directed the other ducts away from it. This seemed to take care of the problem, and I'm sure the same effect would occur with A/C. But if you wish, you could certainly turn the fan to low and let it run continuously - not a very energy efficient solution
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
Like any HVAC sysem, when the thermostat is satisfied, the system will turn off. I haven't used A/C yet this year, but we did use the heat pump extensively. I noticed that the ceiling duct nearest the thermostat affected the system by blowing warm air toward the wall where tstat is mounted, and the system would cycle on/off repeatedly. The thermostat was heating up but the room was still cool. As soon as the system turned off, the tstat would cool down and the heat pump would come right back on. I finally closed the ceiling ducts nearest the thermostat and directed the other ducts away from it. This seemed to take care of the problem, and I'm sure the same effect would occur with A/C. But if you wish, you could certainly turn the fan to low and let it run continuously - not a very energy efficient solution
I turned the vent duct over the bed, the one by the thermostat off, didn't seem to help.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #5

Meant to say I turned it off! Need more coffee :-(
Old 06-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #6

I think Debbie's right just the nature of the beast. Like I said I put a floor fan down below the bed blowing into that area and the thermo stat runs normally. I guess what ever works as long as nothing blows up.:-}
Old 06-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
Plain Old Member

Just to throw it out there, we had problems with ours turning on / off real quick in heat pump mode, sometimes with a clicking noise in the roof unit. Turns out it was a faulty t-stat, and control box in the roof unit had issues. There are a few people on the forester and sunseeker section that had the same issues. Replaced both and works great now. AC unit is a 15k dometic heat pump/ac with the dometic single zone digital t-stat. As for temp, we use the vents closest to the t-stat to control its temp / cycle times. Point a few vents at it and it'll cycle often, turn vents away or off and the cycles are long. Kind of an art figuring out what works best when.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #8

AC Problems

I am having problems with my 2015 AC as well, but my problem is not with the cycling on and off but with the compressor starting.

When the AC starts you can hear the fan come on first then a loud hum/noise from the compressor as it starts. Once the compressor starts it continues a loud rumbling noise.

My in service date is May 20 of this year so a very brand new unit. I have the 15,000 btu with heat pump unit.

If I use the generator instead of a 30 amp power source, the starting of the compressor will trip the generator and shut it down.

Obviously something is wrong and will have it looked at (next week) but am just throwing this out on the forum for any suggestions that I could implement in the interim. Maybe a bad capacitor ?

I'm not sure of how much longer it will run before just dying. I full time in my Solera and am currently in FL so AC is still so needed!

Thanks in advance for any input.