Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2015, 12:41 PM   #1

Adding TV to corner bed area

I have a 2011 24S and thinking of adding a TV in the rear bed area. I was thinking that if I got a swivel mount, I might be able to swing it 180° and be able to see the TV from the Dinette?

Anyone try that?

If you've added one, what kind of mount did you use? Would you do anything different if you did it again?
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:59 PM   #2

Ogsarg, I have a 24R with a TV in the rear bed area. It is mounted on the passenger side of the RV about the same location you would need to mount yours. It is in the middle of the wall. This creates a problem for what you would like to accomplish.

The arms on the swivel that I have are approx 8 inches long each. This prevents the 19 inch TV from clearing the edge of the wall when attempting to rotate it 180. If the swivel arms were longer or the swivel moved closer to the wall inside edge the TV would stick out past the wall edge when stowed normally.

I know this is not what you are looking for, but it might give you some ideas.
http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-610993736...l-mount-16.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0119.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	69021  
Old 01-30-2015, 03:35 PM   #3

I read...Adding a TV camera to bed area! I am still laughing at myself. Of course if I added one to my bed area, you would all be laughing!

I think this is what happens to us northerners who have not seen the sun in 30 days!

Happy Camping ya'll and C'mon Spring!
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:40 PM   #4

This most critical thing is knowing where there is blocking into which you can screw the lag bolts to support the TV bracket. I used a friend's Harbor Freight fiber optic scope to visualize what was behind the well (my stud finder was ineffective). I located supports behind wall and attached the bracket you see in the photo. The centerpoint of the bracket is 7 1/2 inches below the overhead cabinet and 13 inches from the inside edge of the wall.

I got a VideoSecu Articulating Bracket on Ebay (around $14). The TV is a 12 Volt 16 inch with built in DVD player from Newegg (NAXA NTD 1555 $140). The bracket center point allows me to mount a 22 inch TV although the 16 seems just fine.

Of course you could remove the fridge and install a backing plate just about anywhere and the articulating arm would allow the TV to swivel enough for viewing from the dinette. I am curious about why you'd want to do that. Soleras typically have a TV over the cab area. I guess if one needed to watch two programs simultaneously, this configuration would work.

By the way, these little TVs have very poor sound quality. The little box hanging from the bracket is an external speaker for cell phones and other mini devices. I keep it plugged into the headphone jack ... much better sound quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BedroomTV.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	69022   Click image for larger version

Name:	bedroomTVBracket.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	69023  
MiataHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:09 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. I was thinking there were studs (or the RV equivalent) in the wall to mount to and I'd have some choice as to where the mount could be attached. I take it there is only one support that is put there specifically for mounting the TV. Is that correct? Of course removing the fridge is always a possibility but not sure how much is involved with that.

As far as why, the TV over the bunk is so high up that you strain your neck after about 20 minutes watching from the dinette. The bunk tv would be a lot lower in height and a little farther away, making it more comfortable, or at least that is the theory.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:23 AM   #6

I located my mount so that I could attach a 22 inch LED HiDef TV without being too low or touching the cabinet above. We found the 16 inch is fine when reclining on the bed.

My suggestion would be to cut some cardboard to the same dimension as the a TV you are considering. Sit in your best viewing posture/position, and have an assistant hold the TV where you could view it from the dinette. Then reverse engineer the measurements for a bracket that would store the TV out of the way while extending it sufficiently to view from the dinette. I think you'll find that even a 22 inch TV would not be comfortably viewed from that distance.

You might try lowering your dinette table and configuring it into the bed position. With a few pillows you might find viewing the big TV more comfortable than sitting upright.
MiataHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:18 PM   #7

Like Miatahoarder I to use the dinette bed method many times rather than hanging the bedroom TV. I have also found that I can lay in the rear bed and see the front TV quite well. I have a 24R which puts the bed a little farther away than the "S" but still works.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Like Miatahoarder I to use the dinette bed method many times rather than hanging the bedroom TV. I have also found that I can lay in the rear bed and see the front TV quite well. I have a 24R which puts the bed a little farther away than the "S" but still works.
The front TV is not viewable at all from the bed in an S as they are both on the right side of the coach and the kitchen is between them.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #9

X2, you can't see the front TV in the S from the bed. I have a TV front and back. We mostly watch TV before going to bed at night so we enjoy it from the comfort of the bed.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #10

Funny, looks like the "S" has the same forward TV mount as the "R". I would have thought it would swing out enough to be viewed from the left side of the bed. Guess I was wrong.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:55 PM   #11

If your next to bathroom laying down and TV swung out perpendicular to wall you can see it. We have an S
I just added the small bedroom TV-dvd , seems more convenient

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:06 PM   #12

I posted that earlier but here it is again maybe it helps: Instead of having 2 TVs I bought from Amazon 2 mounts:

Amazon.com: VideoSecu LCD Monitor TV Wall Mount Articulating Arm Bracket for most 12"-24", some up to 27" with VESA 100/75mm LED Flat Panel Screen TV ML10B 1E9: Electronics

and 2 quick release brackets:
Amazon.com: Ergotron Quick Release LCD Bracket (60-589-060): Electronics

one for the living room and one for the bedroom. Those are quick disconnects - so one TV is plenty and it takes less than 30 sec to take the Tv from front to back or back to front.
The one in the living room I mounted where the ladder is stowed - low so I do not get a stiff neck when watching! It swings out easily and even in the "out" position you can get in and out of the coach. And as a side effect - I can swing it around and watch TV from the outside through the screen door.

Pictures here:http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-tv-59802.html post #4
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed