Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2015, 04:30 PM   #1

Add'l Solera 12 Volt Power Points for USB?

Aside from the one on the dash, are there any other 12 volt outlets besides for the 2 TVs inside the coach? We get by using a splitter one of the TV outlets but its a pain and I hate having loose USB wire connectors hanging down. I'd like to install a convenient USB charging station. Couldn't find a thread on that topic for the Solera. Has anyone installed a 12 volt multiple outlet USB charging station? They're plentiful on E Bay and inexpensive.
MiataHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:36 PM   #2

12 Volt outlet

On my 2013 24R there's one behind the dinette. I just bought a couple of 12V to double USB plugs to accommodate all our devices.

We don't have a bedroom TV, so can use the dash and 2 others.

Greg
gfior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:37 PM   #3

It say need service soon
Tell them about how much u put in and not sure what else needs to be done

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:41 PM   #4

Never mind post
I too would like more USB ports
My friend has a new W and forest river put ports in dining area

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:27 PM   #5

I bought a couple of 12 volt driven USB chargers and installed them myself for my 24R. I put one under the right side of the bed for night charging and one in the wall between the bath and the living room. Both seem to work well and were reasonably easy to install by tapping into existing 12 volt lines. (The chargers don't draw much current...)
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #6

If for use when on shore power or generator, there are wall outlets with built in USB ports. Google "outlet with USB" and you'll find lots of them. You can replace any outlet that is convenient and add ports.
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:21 PM   #7

at least in my 2014 24S the outlets aren't quite like home outlets,

so be careful about the type of A/C + USB sockets you try to install

best bet would be to look in an RV place
Old 10-04-2015, 04:09 PM   #8

Got it done!

Selected USB charging components on EBay. Next decision was where to mount them. First thought was above the dinette. Unfortunately, the components are too long to fit between the upper and lower skin of the cabinets. So, I decided to put it in the stair well with the other panels.

My advice would be to avoid the 4 component panel and stick with the array of three; a switch; DC voltage meter and USB charger port. Even the switch isn’t necessary as someone calculated how long it would take for the DC volt meter to deplete the batteries when boondocking; I believe he said it would take several weeks.

The wiring is fairly easy; all are daisy chained with positive to positive and negative to negative connections. I’d highly recommend putting it all together and connecting to a 12 volt battery to test the components. If everything works correctly, take a digital photo of the connections before installation. Its much easier to reconstruct the wiring from inside the cabinet when you have a diagram. It would also be much easier to mount the panel higher so the drawer hardware wouldn’t be in the way of the wiring as much.

I tapped into the wiring for the awning switch for power. I realized there is potential for snags and other malfunctions with the exposed wires behind the panel. I fabricated a shroud to protect the wiring using green plastic from a cat litter container. A few minutes with a heat gun, a board for a form and leather gloves to press the plastic into shape; ain’t pretty but gets the job done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ChargingStaWiring.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	445.0 KB
ID:	90634   Click image for larger version

Name:	ChargingStation.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	451.2 KB
ID:	90635  
MiataHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags