Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2015, 07:44 PM   #1

Amp hours for coach batteries

Hi all. I have a 2015 Solera 24R and just installed solar panels. I've had several episodes where the batteries charge went low and don't want that again. As I'm programming the MPPT solar controlled it wants to know the amp hours of the flooded cells. Anyone know the specs? Thanks.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:57 PM   #2

Will need to know manufacture and size of batteries

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #3

Do you have any pictures of the install? Would love to see them as I hope to do the same thing one day.
gmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:31 PM   #4

Hondaman. I understand that would be useful. But they are under the second step of the motorhome and tied down. That's why I asked the question here. Gmclean. I used info from this site to direct how I installed. It took about 4.5 hours. Worked like a charm. 16.6 volts from the panel and the batteries happily charging. It's just for the computer to figure out percent of use and remaining power that I need this info.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:47 PM   #5

Battery size is group 27. The amp hours are battery brand specific. I believe they are Exides and are deep cycle. There has been a post by the FR rep on that if you look.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:15 PM   #6

Exide makes true deep cycle marine batteries but I'm betting the ones in the Solera are dual purpose. There is a DC in the model number of their marine batts so I'm betting there should be a DC in the model # of any other TRUE deep cycle batts they make.
In any event...that has more to do with life cycles than capacity and they give their batts an 80 and 100amphour rating for their Grp.24 and Grp. 27 batts respectively.
I'd knock each of those down by 5 amp hours for planning purposes since they are not brand new and have probably lost some capacity due to your discharging them way below 50%.
So...if you have a pair of group24's...that adds up to 150 amp hours total
If you have a pair of group 27's ... you have 190 amp hours.
Divide by HALF to see what you can use each day before you need to recharge...i.e. 75 and 95 amphours respectively.

Your solar controller SHOULD be able to monitor what you are putting in and taking our of your batteries each day if you buy a good one. Otherwise you need a true battery monitor like the Trimetric or Victron which will look at ALL sources of amphours (solar, genny, alternator) and all drains (all 12V and inverter loads) and let you know where you stand at any moment.

EDIT: Once installed...If your monitor is showing 50% remaining and your lights are getting dim...you've done a lot more damage to your batteries by deep discharging than we think...and you'll need to replace them.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery