Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2015, 12:59 PM   #1

Any ideas for increased fuel capacity?

Just wondering if anyone has come up with an idea to expand the fuel storage capacity on the sprinter? An extra 10-15 gallons would be nice!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Rogerbruchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbruchay View Post
Just wondering if anyone has come up with an idea to expand the fuel storage capacity on the sprinter? An extra 10-15 gallons would be nice!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
There are add on tanks that connect to the original. Pricey. You would also need to be aware of increased weight.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
There are add on tanks that connect to the original. Pricey. You would also need to be aware of increased weight.
also at least one seems to occupy the space
partially used by the propane tank
ipolyihh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #4

I've seen people with jerry cans on a hitch mount carrier. I contemplated the larger tank from the sprinter store but seemed expensive and wife makes me stop every 200 miles or so anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandiegodoug View Post
I've seen people with jerry cans on a hitch mount carrier. I contemplated the larger tank from the sprinter store but seemed expensive and wife makes me stop every 200 miles or so anyway.

X2
I also carry an extra 6 gallon can in case I need it.
"Happy Travels"
CaptDan
2013 Solera "S"
CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #6
Site Team

What brand of hitch mounted jerry can carrier are you guys using?
Old 08-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #7

Hitch storage platform

Good question RedLdr1. I too am looking for a great quality hitch platform to store extras like - water, jerry can of Diesel, and perhaps a 20# LP tank etc.. I am dying to hear what options are out there....

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:36 PM   #8

Don't know for sure but I'd call Lexington container in Lexington KY. They have great Kerry cans, ammo cans and accessories. Might be able to help.

Walt_l in WV
2010 coachman freelander
walt_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #9

Harbor freight
Best deal, they have a black steel one and a light aluminum one
With their 20 percent off coupon you can get the steel one for about 50 bucks, aluminum one was around 100.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:03 PM   #10
Site Team

I'm looking for a hitch mounted old "jeep" style carrier that will hold a spare tire and either one or two jerry cans. It seems everything for Jeeps is now the swing away style rather than hitch mounted. I'm beginning to think I'm going need to have one welded up from a tire carrier base...
Old 08-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #11

fuel capacity

How about a different place to look.
I replaced my recalled Michelin tires (6 miles/gal on a class C Concord by ForestRiver) with Uniroyals [because the dealer called their zone person and found they were tremendously backlogged] and now get 11 miles a gal.
I am not brand conscious and don't own Uniroyal anything but thanks for stretching my miles/gal. Absolute truth.
Jerry Leinsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:24 PM   #12

I don't understand this idea of a bigger tank, you can get about 250 miles on a full tank that's about 3-4 hours driving time, and that's not even hitting the reserve which has another 6 gallons. I've had about enough driving by that time and am ready for a stop and stretch so is the DW and dogs.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:15 PM   #13

X2
We stop every 200 miles or so for dogs sake and to stretch. Only reason to carry extra diesel if I was headed to an area where diesel wasn't available , but we stick to main roads when we travel,and top off tank when we head into the mountains.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:30 PM   #14

Does the reserve kick in when the little gas tank icon lights up telling me that I am almost out of fuel? Not heard of a reserve before. And nice to know that there are 6 gallons in the 'reserve' if needed. I just ran very low on our trip this past weekend and was glad to have some reserve. I have a Solera 24W and with even going over the Cascade mountain range to the coast I got 15 MPG which I am happy with given that my coach is new. I know that will improve with time and also when I don't have to cross over the mountain range.
One wife
Two kayaks, One SUP
Bend, Oregon
Solera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:10 AM   #15

When fuel pump icon comes on you have approx. 6 gallons of fuel in you tank. Reserve does not kick in exactly, the icon just alerts you to get fuel. When the icon comes on, I reset my odometer to zero to let me know that I have 50 miles at least to find fuel in the worst condition.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:11 AM   #16

Aux fuel tank for sprinters

From the "Sprinter store" Sprinter Fuel Tank

Auxiliary Fuel Tank: Our 17.5 gal auxiliary fuel tank is designed for the 07 and newer Sprinter Vans and our 13 gal auxiliary tank is designed for the 07 and newer Sprinter Cab Chassis and Class C motorhomes. Depending on mpg, you can extend your driving range to over 800 miles on the vans and 575 on the motorhomes! The tanks are Aluminum and act as an extension of the factory tank. There are no fuel level floats or auxiliary fuel pumps to hassle with. The tanks have internal baffles to reduce fuel sloshing and has a drain plug, which can be removed to insert a fitting for an additional fuel outlet. Installation is simple and takes about 4-6 hours. You do need to drop the factory tank and you must cut into the factory fuel tank to establish the cross over between the two tanks. Other than the fuel level dropping much more slowly, the factory fuel gauge functions normally. The last 1/4 of the factory tank registers and drops normal, and the 5 gallon reserve light functions normally. When filling the tanks, the last 6-7 gallons fill more slowly than 35 or so gallons. If you park nose down or drive down a steep incline for more than few minutes or so, fuel from the auxiliary tank (depending on its level) may/will fill the factory tank. Because of the one way valve at the fill neck just inside of the tank, the fuel will not go back into the auxiliary tank and the fuel gauge will reflect that.

The kit is special order and build time is approximately 3-4 weeks (sooner depending on our schedule). We do require a 50% non-refundable deposit to get the order started. The 144" 3500 Van tank is slightly different in length and has a 16.5 gal capacity. The 54"x12" area on the outboard side of the factory tank must be completely open and unobstructed for the tank to install properly. A 27 gal tank is available but requires installing a transfer pump and optional fuel level sending unit (call for estimates). Our auxiliary tanks are well designed and well made but are considered for off road use only. These auxiliary fuel tanks are not DOT approved. The 18.5 gal fuel tank is now available for $1495.00 plus shipping and handling and the 13 gal fuel tank is $1495 plus shipping and handling.
Iowaprism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I don't understand this idea of a bigger tank, you can get about 250 miles on a full tank that's about 3-4 hours driving time, and that's not even hitting the reserve which has another 6 gallons. I've had about enough driving by that time and am ready for a stop and stretch so is the DW and dogs.
If you travel in the western states and like to explore something other than interstate, there are places where gas stations are few and far apart.

On one of our first trips, I saw a sign that said next gas 125 miles. I had an indicated 1/2 full tank so figured it was ok. low fuel light came on after about 80 miles and I was sweating it out the rest of the way. In many places there are no signs indicating distance to next gas.

I don't want to add 10+ more gallons but an extra 4-6 would make a big difference as opposed to stopping to top off every time there is a long stretch of lonely road ahead.
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:21 PM   #18

Ogsarg, Where the heck were you? I haven't seen a sign like that since the 80's. I've got 25000 miles on my Solera in the last 4 years so I've been around, I did get on a road in western N.D. a couple of years ago and was wondering if I'd ever find a station but got to one before the tank got to the reserve.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:24 PM   #19

I wish I had a larger fuel tank on my Solera also however not enough to add an auxiliary tank. I have recently started using an app called Gas Buddy. It shows you the nearest stations that have diesel and the cost. This helps a lot in knowing where you better fill up at. With that said if you are in a place that says "next gas 125 miles" you might not have cell service.
Eric99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #20

Lots of areas in Utah, Nevada, and others have long stretches without gas. Even some interstates will have stretches that are near or more than 100 miles.

And if there is any cell service it is just for voice. No data apps. A GPS will typically have a database of gas stations but information is only as good as when the database was made.
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote