Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #1

Smile Anyone out there in southern CA with a Solera 24M?

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum. My wife and I are looking to get an RV for the first time.

We have looked at quite a few models from the Sprinter chassis 24's all the way up to class A 32's. We have narrowed it down to the Solera 24M (we think), but there isn't anywhere to see one in southern CA, or even the southwest for that matter. We went to the RV show yesterday at Qualcomm stadium in San Diego and the local dealer said that model won't sell here so they don't carry it. The district rep for the southwest region told us the same thing. He told us the nearest place to see one was Texas. I can't believe that but none are available at any of the dealers I called. I was wondering if there is any one in southern CA that owns one that my wife and I could see? We promise not to take up too much of your time. We just don't want to buy one without seeing one. We have seen them on RVDirect and even got a quote already. I am a bit worried about buying from there, and then trying to get local service, but none of the local dealers have one they could sell me anyway.

Charlie
Fallbrook,CA
Charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #2

We live in rancho penasquitos but bought the s with the corner bed. There have been a lot of people on this board reporting trouble with the m
We bought the s because of the huge amount of storage and added a full size topper to make bed bigger (its now essentially a full
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #3

How did you make the corner bed bigger when it essentially has walls on all four sides?

Charlie J.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #4

I turned the mattress around, stuffed a pillow in the rounded corner, added a full size 4 inch dense foam topper
Now full size sheets fit
Getting into bathroom is a bit more difficult but the topper gives so u can squeeze bye even when slide close
You feet are down there, makes it so u can stretch out
We sleep with me, my wife and a golden lab
I get the extended part
I had a rv queen in my 28 foot trailer and sleep just as well in this
Much easier to tow a jeep vs towing a trailer
Old 08-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
Site Team

About that corner bed - most people are not crazy about climbing over someone to get out of bed. But then it might be easier & not so much as a downside if you are younger.

BTW - welcome to the forum from an SoCal member!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #6

We are campers not full timers
That is a minor inconvenience
I think the corner bed is the best use of space
It's the storage that's important on a small rig
They way I extended the mattress, my wife slides forward , I rarely hear her get up
Old 08-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #7

Actually, the corner bed is fine, and I'm not young. I have the window side. It's a bit close with my husband and one of our dogs, but that's ok - I love them both!
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #8

Wonder why Solera's won't sell in Southern California? BClemens, any response from FR?
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #9

I bought from the dealer and the salesman told me the only models that sell are the s
He had a r on the lot but I guess no one would buy. So I guess they mainly stock loaded ses
Because that's what sells
Old 08-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Preference. Some dealers stock it some don't.

Poulsbo RV in Washington carries the 24M and has it in stock. Funtime in Oregon normally does, I think they're sold out.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #11

I heard today that they are going to stop making them. Can you confirm if that is true? Do you know if we could still order one from RVDirect?
Old 08-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #12
Commercial Member

I know we're working on a new floor plan based on that model...alternatives to the murphy bed but same layout. As of right now it is still on the price sheet and they are being built. We have not discussed if this new floor plan would replace the 24M or be in addition to.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I know we're working on a new floor plan based on that model...alternatives to the murphy bed but same layout. As of right now it is still on the price sheet and they are being built. We have not discussed if this new floor plan would replace the 24M or be in addition to.
I would be disappointed to see the 24M discontinued. For us, it's the perfect solution for maximizing space in that small chassis. I realize several buyers have had problems with the murphy bed, but we have LOVED ours. ♥ Perhaps a refinement of the drive system for the bed would be in order, but don't do away with it altogether! When we trade our current model, it will be for another 24M.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #14

I agree with Ed. This is a really good layout for us as we'll. It has a large bath, large kitchen/counter, living room area, extra bunk over head if we want to bring grand kids or friends, tv is visible for more than one person, and it is all wrapped into a package that gets good mileage. As an engineer, I have also been thinking about a possible redesign of the bed to remove the motors and use air cylinders instead. I think it can be done but I am willing to buy it as is if I could just see one first.

Charlie J.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #15
Commercial Member

I agree, this is a great floor plan. Big bath, good storage, etc, etc. Which is why we're not deleting it. The only thing we're doing is creating a new option for the power Murphy bed. I'm guessing we'll offer both in tandem for a while and the most popular will remain.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliej View Post
I agree with Ed. This is a really good layout for us as we'll. It has a large bath, large kitchen/counter, living room area, extra bunk over head if we want to bring grand kids or friends, tv is visible for more than one person, and it is all wrapped into a package that gets good mileage. As an engineer, I have also been thinking about a possible redesign of the bed to remove the motors and use air cylinders instead. I think it can be done but I am willing to buy it as is if I could just see one first.

Charlie J.
Charlie: You are spot on about the MS design - great to hear this from an engineer (My granddaughter is also an engineer and has said the same thing). Those are exactly the reasons we chose it over other units. Hope you'll be able to find one to look at, but if you can't - order one anyway with full knowledge of some of the problems others have experienced. I'm pretty sure that virtually everyone who's had a problem with that bed has voiced their frustration on this forum, so apparently that bed is more dependable than some have led us to believe. If bclemens comes up with a new design, I'd hope that older units can be retrofitted for those who have had problems. So far ours is doing well - knock on wood
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #17

Charlie - we started looking to downsize this past March. After much research we were convinced we wanted the Mercedes chassis. This led us to the Solera. The larger bathroom along with the overall layout made the the M our choice. Our local dealer had two Solera's - an S and an R but had sold the M. When we tried to find one to look at we ran in to the same problem as you - no one had one on the lot. We live in Orlando and I called all over Florida. Same response - just sold the one we had or another M will be here in a couple of months; but we do have the S or R model you can see. We finally decided that if no one can keep it on their lot long enough for us to look at, we'll just buy our own! Ordered on April 24th will pick it up on Aug. 19th!
Good luck with your search - hope you find an M to touch. If not, join us in the blind faith club!!
Audrey
Fla Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I agree, this is a great floor plan. Big bath, good storage, etc, etc. Which is why we're not deleting it. The only thing we're doing is creating a new option for the power Murphy bed. I'm guessing we'll offer both in tandem for a while and the most popular will remain.

the thing that makes sense to me is a non powered murphy bed in a sunseeker 2300 chasiss=maybe 75 inches the extra foot wide should accomodate it.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:50 PM   #19

We ordered a Solera 24M a little over a week ago from RVDirect. Delivery out of the factory was supposed to be in late October. They called today and said Mercedes is changing the Sprinter chassis and the change will force them to reduce the interior ceiling height. The reduced interior will no longer let them make it with a Murphy bed so they are changing it to a 3 section pullout couch. This ruins it for us. It messes up the table, drink holders, and means now you have to make the bed everytime you fold it out. I don't know why they couldn't just go to something simple like this - Gr8LakesCamper: VIDEO Detroit RV Show: Rockwood Ultra Lite Murphy Bed feature
It has a similar couch to what they have now, it solves the motor problems they have had, and keeps the layout just right.

Really bummed,
Charlie J.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:25 AM   #20

There is one for sale in Texas at McClain. Check out there website. I believe it is a 2014
Marque74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solera