Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2011, 10:28 PM   #1

Attaching drain hose

New to RVing, new owner of a Solera. When we picked it up we were VERY overwhelmed with all of the information. Have figured out everything except for how to attach the drain hose. When we got it the dealer gave us a list of needed supplies which included a straight fitting and a 20 foot hose. The hose does not fit the Solera's storage area, and I know that there is no way water will flow up hill from the drain attachment out the access door. So I am guessing that the hose goes down through the hole. To do that I would need an elbow fitting. But the hole is off center from the drain. And even if I could get the hose over to the hole the hole is too small for any fitting to go through, meaning that the hose would have to be reattached every time I use it. Would someone tell me how they attach the hose, listing the brand / part number of the pieces if possible. (A picture would be nice!)
Max_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You have a lot to learn.

The drain hose, if I get this right, is the the drain for the sewer. The storage compartment is for carrying the hose while in route. You must hook it to a sewage dump to use it. The hose is like a "slinky" and will be much smaller when collapsed, and will not require 20 feet of storage space. You will also need a water hose, white one, and some electrical adapters and extensions, maybe. Most dealers include these in the purchase. Keep asking questions, we;ll help where we can. Sorry, it's a learning curve for everyone.

Basically, you are building a house each time you go camping. You have to look at the site, get the camper,(house), in to it it, level it, get it blocked and secured, get fresh water, electricity, and sewer, connected. It is fun, but takes time. Good luck.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
2018 FR3 30DS

Attathing drain hose

Congratulations on your Solera. Hope you enjoy it.
There's nothing to buying or making up a sewer drain hose. If you go to Amazon.com and type in camco39551 it will show you a pictue of a hose with the couplings on it. However, you can go to Walmart or some place that sells rv stuff and buy the parts. The parts by Camco are 39144 Easy slip elbow and 4 in 1 adapater; and, 39173 straight line adaptor. Since you already have a hose, I would cut it to approximately 6 or 7 feet (not stretched out). You can assemble this in a few minutes.

Don't be concerned about the alignment between the drain and the hole going out the Solera because the hose is flexible...you'll see. Also, you won't be able to put the hose in the place provided for the hose. Just make sure the hose is washed out after each use and you can stuff it underneath the tanks. For sanitary reasons you might want to put the hose in a plastic bag.

I have two 25' hoses. One is for fresh water and the other is for the black tank connector. I keep the black hose in the storage area on the driver side and the fresh water hose on the storage area on the passenger side...

As previous poster states, it's a learning curve but most enjoyable. This is the place to get information based on experience...good luck.
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #4

Welcome Max,

pretty muych as Slow_moin already said.

When we bought our Solera they gave us a hose consisting of 2 10' sections with the 90 degree piece and the fresh water line connection.

You only connect the hose when you want to drain the tank (at a dump station!). Unscrew the white cover and feed the hose in from below and connect it to the drain system. Connect the 90 degree piece at the other end of the hose and feed it into the drain opening. Open the black tank valve and let it drain completely then flush it. Now open the gray water tank and let it drain completely. Flush the black one once more to fully clean your pipe. Disconnect the pipe again and store in the compartment. Don't forget to screw in the white cover (and connect the cover for the drainage!).

The one that is in there is about 2" to short to fit our pipe. So we just put it where the drain is. There is enough space for it to store it that way. If you can find (and live with) a 5' pipe it MIGHT fit. Don't know what they think when they make those compartments.....

The Solera was (is) our first RV as well. I asked the dealer to put me through the process step by step at delivery as we never did it either. Once you've done it once or twice it will be a piece of cake.

Reiner
Old 04-30-2011, 02:44 AM   #5

Thanks Slow_movin & reinerka for the inputs. Being new I should have asked for them to show me how to attach the sewer hose when I picked up the RV. We would have found out that they had sold me the wrong parts and I would have been able to solve this then and there.

PS: Someone should write a "Pick up check list".
Max_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_s View Post
Thanks Slow_movin & reinerka for the inputs. Being new I should have asked for them to show me how to attach the sewer hose when I picked up the RV. We would have found out that they had sold me the wrong parts and I would have been able to solve this then and there.

The list would go on forever! As you get into it, you will see more and more products out there that are available... and the skys the limit for modifications to make the new trailer yours!

Congrats on the purchase. You will love it!
DogandTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:39 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_s View Post
Max,

I do believe there is a PDI checklist here somewhere. I will try to find it and put it here later (up early today and got to run).

Just an FYI;

I use a 10 ft section of white plastic rain gutter that I cut into 3 pieces (2x4' and 1x2') to support the drain hose when in hookups and at the dump station to keep everything flowing downhill. I can use my Lego levelers to create pitch. The plastic section of gutter is much cheaper than the commercial products that do the same thing.

I also use a clear plastic 90 degree at the dump outlet (may not apply to your rig) to make sure I can see when I am done when flushing out the tanks.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote