Old 05-07-2014, 12:14 AM   #11

Thanks for your rapid reply. Much appreciated. So, why am I having problems?

FYI. I have just posted a new thread to these forums to try to explain in more depth on the issue. I am adding it below to see if you can illuminate the issue a bit more.

Does the Extender for auxilary propane tanks feed the generator in Soleras I have a new Solera 24R, and have no regrets. Until now.

The on-board propane tank is of fairly limited capacity, and I installed an Extenda-Stay system (Amazon.com: Camco 59123 Propane Brass Tee with 4 Ports and Extension Hose: Automotive) to allow for flexibility of additional external propane in the form of conventional 20 lb tanks.

However, whilst the installation of Extenda was smooth and easy, the connection of a barbeque propane tank, resulted in a low flow/pressure into the interior of our motorhome.

We can run the kitchen stove propane gas burners from the external tank, but the flames diminish sharply as we run more than one burner.

The on-board generator will not run with this external tank. I have replaced everything but the extenda kit (no point in doing that!)- and nothing helps.

My question, therefore, is this. Is this extenda kit able to run an on-board propane generator (I fear, and, currently, believe not).

If not, what are my alternatives? I would really like to be able to bypass the on-board propane tank, and run the propane generator with an external propane tank (esp. the common barbeque tank).

Is this possible? I have scoured all the usual forums, as well as the Amazon review site for the product, and, not getting a clear answer (although there are hints- but hints only- that this Extenda system is perhaps only useful for only adding an external barbeque grill-not what I want). There are mutterings about the low flow/pressure for this system.

Any comments welcome. I cannot believe I am the first to have this issue. Since the on-board LPG generator uses ~10x the propane that the stove jets use, and since I want to conserve the on-board propane, is it possible for me to plug in an external propane source as described above using an Extenda kit to run the generator?

If not this kit, what kit may be able to do this?

Thanks

Old 05-07-2014, 08:10 AM   #12

Like I said mine runs fine. On one occasion the 20# bottle was over filled and would not put full pressure out. You may want to try a different bottle.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #13

Thanks Papap,

I did try another bottle, which was half-filled only. Same effect.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #14

Propane regulators have safety devices that restrict airflow until the lines are equalized.

You can reset the regulator by turning off all gas appliances, turning off the gas at the tank and disconnecting the regulator. Wait about 1 minute for the regulator to reset. Reconnect everything and SLOWLY turn on the gas. Always turn the valve slowly so that a pressure difference doesn't occur, signaling the regulator to restrict flow.

Make sure that you check for gas leaks using soapy water when reconnecting the regulator.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #15

Check this video out on YouTube from rvgeeks. http://youtu.be/jovTYfltUO0 you may not have the correct regulator or you are double regulating.

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecopco View Post
Check this video out on YouTube from rvgeeks. HOW TO: Connect an RV to External Propane - YouTube you may not have the correct regulator or you are double regulating.
Great Video-Thanks.

and
Old 05-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #17
GM

That was an awesome explanation. I think the extend a stay has been covered about a gazillion times. Does "search word" repetition cause this to show up higher in the search results (if anyone ever uses it)?

Then we should say extend a stay and extra lp tank and Extend a stay and extra propane tank as many times as possible and in as many different ways as possible.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:33 PM   #18

With the extender you do not use a regulator on the extra tank.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #19

Well thank you very very much. This indeed was the problem- turning the valve on the barbeque tank slowly solved the issue completely. I can now run all three stove burners on high (couldn't before) plus the propane generator- at the same time.

This is indeed a cure for what ailed me. I had no idea regulators could be so finicky. Surprisingly, the on board propane tank doesn't have to be turned on slowly- I guess there are different specs for the barbeque tank and it.

I cant get over how brilliant these forums are- I've only been coming for a few weeks and two puzzling problems have been sorted out for me. As a newbie motorhome owner, I look forward to the day when I can help others with their problems.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:54 AM   #20

The portable tanks have a device on them to shut off gas flow if it detects a very rapid, high flow. Why? This is a safety feature. Since the tanks are portable, it is possible for a line to be severed, allowing for rapid, uncontrolled release of gas. They work. Several years ago we had a bad accident with our TT. It ended up on its side in the ditch with massive damage. The two 30 lb. tanks (with valves open) were ripped from their mounts. When they were found in the wreckage, they still had most of the gas in them--the safety valves had done their job.

So, if you open the valve too quickly, it thinks it is an uncontrolled release and it shuts off the flow. I imagine permanent tanks aren't required to have that kind of valve, because the tank and its lines are secured to the vehicle. Of course, any tank can become a hazard if it is punctured in a crash--no valve will help with that.

Tags
tank, propane