Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #1

back up camera fail

Today, out of the blue my backup camera became intermittent and now it is out completely. the display says "no signal"

Where are all of the camera connections in the Solera. the display and the camera seem to be hard wired. where are the other connections located. where is powers supplied for the camera?
Old 09-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
2018 FR3 30DS

My 2011 Solera came with a hand heldremote for the backup camera/mirror and basically all it does it turn it on/off and maybe a couple other things. On the right side of the mirror are some "touch" features that you might try. I think you can turn the signal on/off with the touch feature..

I can't remember right now cause the mh is not close by..
Let us know what you find out...
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #3

the controls turn the display on and off.. my problem is that i get a "no signal" error instead of video from the rear.

where are the connections for this system?
Old 09-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #4

Check to make sure you have not accidentally selected the left or right camera on the monitor (which would give you a "no signal" error since there aren't any). On my Sunseeker the control box is under the dash on the left side. Silver colored metal box.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
2012 Solera 24S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
Check to make sure you have not accidentally selected the left or right camera on the monitor (which would give you a "no signal" error since there aren't any). On my Sunseeker the control box is under the dash on the left side. Silver colored metal box.
Same location in the Solera, to the left of the steering wheel. Cover comes off quite easily.

You may also want to look through this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...dio-45310.html
Nats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #6

thanks for the various responses. I have not been able to locate the control box.

Nothing visible left of the steering wheel and no single screw to remove panel under steering wheel.

My monitor does not look like the one in the pdf referenced in the back up camera audio thread.

Does anyone that has a monitor like mine in their 2011 solera have any ideas?

There are no markings on the back of the monitor so i cant even determine the make or model number.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nats View Post

Same location in the Solera, to the left of the steering wheel. Cover comes off quite easily.

You may also want to look through this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...dio-45310.html
When you say left if the steering wheel, where exactly? Up under the dash? In the compartment with the OBD connector? ?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousin01 View Post
When you say left if the steering wheel, where exactly? Up under the dash? In the compartment with the OBD connector? ?

Most likely yes.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #9

Not near OBD. Guess again please.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
Love My Sunseeker

Be very careful about what you call a "camera." Your camera didn't go out, it was your monitor.

I had that happen once. I went in to a dealer and said my camera was out. The dealer went to the back of the RV, had the back tore out, and I said,
"what's up with that?" Since I said "camera" they went to the thing in the back.

SO, for future reference, the CAMERA is in the back, the MONITOR is the thing in the front that you read the CAMERA.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousin01 View Post
Not near OBD. Guess again please.

It will be up under the dash somewhere. It may also be behind the radio/monitor as well. No matter what you will need a flashlight or work light to shine up there to locate the wires comming from the monitor going to the splitter/amp then you can start troubleshooting from there.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #12

Man I have been up under there with a flashlight and I have the crock in my neck to prove it.

Doesn't anyone know exactly whet the back up camera junction box is located on a 2011Solera?

What am I looking for and where the ,,,, is it?
Old 09-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Left hand side (of the steering wheel?) there should be a fuse panel. Open that door and it should be right above that fuse panel. Silver box (at least they were), about the size of two decks of cards. (So not bigger than a bread box)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #14

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #15

So, we're in suspense here. Did you find it!
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #16

Still traveling. Too busy to look right now. Will post findings as they develop Thanks again.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:23 PM   #17

OK, I am home now and finally had time to look for the camera connections.At this time I can safely say that there are NO connections for my camera anywhere under the dash.

Here is what I have found however. I suspect I have an aftermarket camera. Lets see what you all think.

The cable to the mirror is routed into the headliner just forward of the drivers sun visor. Pulling on this cable to remove it slightly disclosed the presence of a miniture multi-pin connector. (Checked and reseated this connector to no avail)

Gently pulling on the cable it can be heard to be routed over the window on the driver side, then down the pillar just behind the driver.

It emerges from the pillar at the bottom where it is joined by a ground wire and a 12 volt wire emanating from under the driver seat. (interestingly the 12 volt wire is tapped into an existing wire further supporting the aftermarket theory)

The black cable then disappears through the floor and runs under the chassis. It is next to impossible to follow the route with out a lift.

At the rear of the rv the camera cable can be seen coming down from the camera location and dropping vertically. this can be seen via an access port in the rear storage compartment. the cable then emerges under the chassis and again is hard to follow, but it is unlikely that any control electronics are under the chassis.

I have located a very similar looking mirror mounted monitor online and the wiring diagram for it is attached.

Based on this I beleive that there is no junction box but the cable itself contains all of the necessary connections and the electronics are all in the mirror.

Having said that, my next step is to trouble shoot to decide if the problem is the camera or the monitor.

I have removed the trim piece over the driver window and can feel the cable which is routed into the headliner and then down into the pillar.

Next I need to gain access to that pillar behind the drivers seat. I suspect that the cable from the camera and the power and ground connections are made at a pigtail inside that pillar.

At first glance it looks like I have to remove the padded trim piece that faces rear behind the driver seat.

Before I disturb the trim, I was hoping that someone could confirm that this is indeed where I will find the connections for this camera and offer advice on gaining access to the space in that pillar.

Once I get in there I should be able to connect another video source (it should have a composite video rca connector), switch to av channel 2 or try connecting to another monitor of some kind.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #18

BREAKING NEWS......

After posting the last bit of information I decided to go out and make sure that the camera was at least getting power.( If you hold your cell phone camera up to the infrared lights on the camera they will glow bright on your screen.)

Never made it that far. Turned on the ignition switch and turned on the monitor with its on off switch. Monitor displayed "no signal" as it had thru most of our trip.

I then pressed the AV switch and lo and behold the rear view image appeared.

Now I am pretty certain that I tried that a few times while on the road so now we;ll have to wait and see if we have some sort of intermittent connection. If so, I may still need to get into that pillar!

For now I am glad to have the camera working and also been able to contribute some intel to the forum.

So do I have some wacko aftermarket system , or is the one I cited earlier about like the ones others have?
Old 10-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #19

What brand markings are on the monitor/mirror (your term) and the rear camera. I just looked at mine, and the rear backup camera is RVS brand, monitor is RVS model 770619M. Not sure what aftermarket is in this application. Hope that helps.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #20

My monitor has no visible markings on it.

I have attached a photo of it and the remote.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1781.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	41137   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1783.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	41138  

Tags
back up camera