Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #1

Battery Control Center Popping

I have an intermittent popping coming from the BCC. I've removed the panel and can't tell what to check. Any ideas what this might be and what to do? Thanks, Bob

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
fortbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #2

Are you getting any type of smell? "popping" in a 12v system is generally indicative of arcing. You'll want to carefully examine the area for any signs of blackening. More than likely it would be at any exposed connections, or along the wire route. On the wires themselves you'll be looking for any discolorations, dry or cracked areas, etc. However, it may not be strictly along the wire routes.

A build up of dust can also cause arcing.

I would not run your system until the issue has been addressed. If you want to take a chance.. you might leave the panel exposed, click it on, and sit and watch in poor lighting. You should be able to see where the arcing is occurring.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:45 PM   #3

Yarome, thanks for the advice. I've heard this popping on and off for the three weeks we've been traveling and i thought it was the power step making the sound. This happened the last two nights at around two and three AM so hopefully it will happen again tonight so I can watch for some arching. There's no sign of burnt wiring and I don't smell anything yet. There was quite a bit of saw dust in the bcc and I did clean it out. It sounds like a relay clicking or popping. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 01-16-2015, 05:08 PM   #4

That very well could be the case. There is a big difference between "popping" and "clicking. If it were arcing, you would more than likely be able to smell it up close and personal like. Hopefully getting that saw dust out of there will resolve any chance of arcing.

If you have a multi stage converter, it's very possible it might just be "stepping" as you mentioned. If you're running your furnace, it may be originating from there as well.

If it's been ongoing for three weeks with no adverse affects, I would be less concerned. I would do some due diligence in trying to track it down, but I wouldn't stress over it.

rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:08 AM   #5

The clicking and popping continued intermittently throughout the night after a couple of times during the day. It sounds like a relay but I can't identify a relay by sight but I will try to add a pic taken yesterday. Early this morning I took the cover off and couldn't see any sparking. I flipped the breaker off and the sounds continued. I then turned off the master kill switch and it continued. After a few minutes I flipped the breaker and the kill switch back on and within a few minutes the clicking and popping stopped. Does anyone know if there is a relay in the BCC or any other device there that could make those sounds? Thanks. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1421500065.470283.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	68501
Old 01-17-2015, 08:14 AM   #6

Looks like several relays on that board. I believe the rectangular black/gray boxes (5) are all relays. The solenoid in the lower right could also be clicking.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:03 AM   #7

The sounds seem to be coming from the black solenoid on the lower right. I just did a voltage check from the four terminals and I found that during the alternating click and pop, the DC current drops to zero between both the copper posts and the back side ground. The top copper post is the coach battery and the lower is the chassis battery. When testing voltage to the front ground post, the voltage doesn't change. Not sure what this means but I'm hoping for some advice. Thanks
Old 01-17-2015, 09:52 AM   #8

Not sure, but the solenoid probably controls which batteries are being charged. Switching between chassis and coach.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:46 AM   #9

Looks like a Wurst Elektronik unit. FR is/was replacing them under warranty as a known problem issue. I have a similar problem with my 2014 SS and it is going to be replaced under warranty woth a different type of BCC.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:54 PM   #10

Thanks AJ. I will check on this after the holiday. Not sure if I can get this fixed while we're in Florida or have to wait until we get back to Colorado mid March.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #11

Great thread! I had this same problem, except, of course, when I took it to the dealer! They couldn't find any problem.
With this info I was able to get the service manager to check it out and order a replacement.
I asked him to replace it with the "Best" unit, not the "Wurst"!
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:37 PM   #12

I spoke with the Forest River warranty group and they were able to verify the defective BCC by using my VIN. Because we are on a trip to Florida right now, FR sent the replacement unit made by Precision to a local FR dealer and I have an appointment on Friday to get it swapped. FR was very good about this. I'm a little concerned about the dealer getting it replaced but will try to be optimistic.

Tags
battery