Old 12-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
I believe the OP is interested in what the monitor that comes in his unit is measuring. Simple answer is the battery voltage. As to the amp hours you have, if they are 12 volt batteries you add the a/h together for the 2 batteries if they are 6 volt the a/h is what is stated on 1 of the batteries. To charge the batteries it is best to use a seperate charger to charge them if they are real low. Remember you can damage the batteries if you discharge them to far.
This is how the "idiot lights" on the stock monitor reports battery health.

As you can see, all 4 lights does not mean the battery is full; it means it is charging.

3 lights means it is 50% or more charged (when THIS one goes out it is time to start the generator

2 lights on means the batteries are 20% or more and when THIS goes out your battery will never charge the same and will permanently lose capacity. This means your brand new 75AH battery may now only charge back up to 70AH not 75.

1 light means there is at least 6 volts remaining and if IT goes out you will be needing a new battery a LOT sooner than you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Display.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	22351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Charge Chart.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	22352  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmayberry View Post
When you are driving, does the AC current from the alternator go directly to the coach deep cycle batteries or does it go to the smart charger and then to the coach deep cycle batteries?

Thank you

Robert
Robert, I am NOT a motor coach guy. Here is some information that should answer your question.

As I understand it, you have a bidirectional isolating relay that ports alternator current and voltage to your house batteries when the coach is running. Using the alternator is very inefficient to charge the coach batteries (see attached).

The "converter" needs 120VAC to charge the batteries and you would need to run the on board generator to power that.

Herk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery_Control_Schematic.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	22354  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BiDirectional Isolator Relay Delay.pdf (105.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: pdf Battery Control Center Information -1.pdf (1.34 MB, 40 views)
File Type: pdf Automobile Alternators as Chargers.pdf (805.9 KB, 26 views)

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 02-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
Robert Mayberry

Battery Monitor

Hello,

I got the 2025A installed but they did not enter any of the three parameters you need, ie. P1, P2 and P3. I used P1 13.4, P2 3.0 and P3 150. Is that what you used when setting yours up?

Thank you.

Bob
Old 02-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #14

This confuses me
We dry camp and I plug in ac before we go
There will be 4 lights showing when I unplug
We use the lights and tv and its down to 2 lights next morning ,run gen for 45 min , back to 4 lights. Last am of camping I didn't run gen but drove home about 20 miles and 4 lights show so truck gen must do a good job of charging batteries
Old 02-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmayberry View Post
Hello,

I got the 2025A installed but they did not enter any of the three parameters you need, ie. P1, P2 and P3. I used P1 13.4, P2 3.0 and P3 150. Is that what you used when setting yours up?

Thank you.

Bob
Bob,

On the road with very limited Internet

P1 - is set 1-2 % below the WFCO (if you have that) Absorbtion Voltage of 13.6 Volts DC ( so 13.4 is perfect)

P3 - is your total AH available (I have 2 - 75 AH batteries so 150 is correct for me

P2 - is the charged setpoint amps. Take your total AH available (in my case 150 AH) and multiply by 2 and divide by 100. so 150x2/100 is 3.0

So if you have 2 75 AH batteries your settings are perfect in all respects.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 02-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandiegodoug View Post
This confuses me
We dry camp and I plug in ac before we go
There will be 4 lights showing when I unplug
We use the lights and tv and its down to 2 lights next morning ,run gen for 45 min , back to 4 lights. Last am of camping I didn't run gen but drove home about 20 miles and 4 lights show so truck gen must do a good job of charging batteries

4 lights is not 100% charged. It means the battery is BEING charged.

2 lights is bad and immediate charging is needed.

Always recharge to 100% (takes about 2 days with the converter) when the 3rd light goes out (50% of capacity)

Your truck's alternator is will not do a good job of recharging your battery; it will "maintain" it. See attached PDF for why this is so.

A deep cycle battery needs way more time to charge than a car or truck battery due to its plate construction.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Automobile Alternators as Chargers.pdf (805.9 KB, 36 views)

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 02-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #17

When I leave it plugged in,than unplug and test 4 lights show
After a night of use, 2 or 3 show so I turn on gen for 45min and when I turn everything off and test than 4 lights show and after driving 25 miles , parking and turning every off 4 light show so it sounds like that is a useless measure and I need to install a meter
It also worried me if I dry camp for a week or more I could ruin the batteries
Old 02-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #18
Denver, CO

Problem is that the lights on the panel really provide a state of charge after about 24 hrs of rest with no current draw at all. And the 4 lights mean only about 75 percent charge unless you use a GOOD 3 stage charger, which the RV converter is not.

I'm guessing that you are leaving home with about a 75 percent charge and run that down to less than 50% overnight. Eventually over not to many cycles, this will degrade your batteries. In essence you have only about 25% usable capacity (from 75% to 50% of rated capacity). So if you have a 100 AH 12 volt deep cycle, like many campers then you have 25amphrs to use and that is VERY easy to deplete just with lights and furnace. Non LED lights use close to 2 amps per bulb and furnaces use 4 or more amps when running. Think about how little time you have with 25amps.

More batteries and better chargers are going to be necessary if you dry camp very much
Old 02-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #19

It has 2 batteries and I plug it in at home for a couple of days before we go
I will run the gen in am to top off batteries
I will need to change out my lights since we rarely use the furnace and plan trips with hook up camping mixed with dry camping
Old 02-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #20

In keeping with the dicussion here, does anybody know how 2 six volt golf cart batteries wired in series, to put out the required 12v might work. I understand that the plate construction in golf cart batteries is much heavier, and allows for a deeper discharge and recovery with less over all damage to the useful battery life. Also, might the recharge function be an issue with golf cart type batteries, given the existing battery management system on the Solera . Just raising a question here.

Tags
battery