Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #1

Bigfoot Stabilizer Self Extended

I took my new 24R for a shakedown cruise last weekend - generally went very well, though a couple of issues came up.

After leaving our campsite (with the stabilizer's fully retracted) and driving 100 miles, I noticed that one of the jacks (driver's side) was down 2 or 3 inches. System was completely off - remote control was stored - and the other jack was all the way up. I turned the system on, raised the jacks again (which brought the one jack back up to the top), and drove another couple of hundred miles home. The jacks both remained fully retracted the rest of the way.

I don't know whether this is serious - it's certainly disconcerting! The jacks are low enough that they scrape pretty easily even when they're completely retracted...

Dave Jordan
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:06 AM   #2

Since your system is new, I suspect maybe you had air in the one jack, and vibration caused it to lower. I would cycle the system a few times to be sure it is free of air.
13larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #3

I find that when they are retracted, they retract generally one at a time so you may not have retracted them fully.
Roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #4

Yes, I've noticed that they extend and retract one at a time - I don't know how the system works, but I'm guessing that there's a single tank and the jack that moves easiest moves first.

But I am aware of the disparity and have been careful to check that both jacks are extended/retracted before shutting the system down.

Dave
Old 10-01-2014, 10:13 PM   #5

see:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...m-30375-2.html

the mentioned reset-to-factory default cured my mysterious extensions

may or may not solve your problem, but won't hurt
ipolyihh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:50 AM   #6

If I read you story correctly, you were finding that your system had turned itself on...is that right? In my case, the electronics seemed to have remained off (I had to first turn the system on before I could retract the errant foot). But you're right - a system reset can't hurt.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #7

nope - both transmitter ( remote ) and receiver ( main unit ) were OFF before and after automatic extend event.

the events were due to a test procedure unintentionally left in the system which resetting to the factory default mode fixed in my case.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #8

procedure

procedure

see:

http://www.ipolyi.com/RR/RR/Howto/BFreprogramming.jpg
Old 10-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #9

I've done the reset procedure (though the instructions say it's only needed for units manufactured in June/July of 2013).

I'll keep an eye on it and hope it doesn't happen again!

Dave
Old 10-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #10

Big Foot Stabilizer

I recently had an issue with the stabilizers both in the retract position and would extract. Just got a clicking sound when using the FOB and inside push buttons. Contacted Big Foot - nice people. They said a problem exists with Soleras wherein the stabilizers are not properly grounded. They are sending me a kit for installation - free. Apparently, Solera grounds the stabilizers to extension part of the Solera frame. The extension, apparently does not provide a sufficient ground. Waiting on kit.
BLK-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #11

Our unit is a 2015 and after the dealer reset the unit our ghost activations ceased. We were told it was the result of a factory test software that was not cleared before the unit was shipped. As far as normal operation they routinely do not go up and down evenly.
john.tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #12

Big Foot

I had the same problem and the reset fixed mine as well.
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
Palmyra,VA
MountainTrippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:40 PM   #13

Stabilizer dragging

I just finished my first trip in my '15 Solera 24R. When entering fuel stations or grocery stores sometimes the stabilizer would drag. I checked to insure they were in the full retracted position. I see one other poster mentioned this problem. I was thinking of just having them removed but after visual inspection it seems the only thing keeping my tailpipe from dragging in similar situations is the stabilizer. Others have this problem?
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #14

In places where I think the stabilizers are going to drag, I approach at an angle. That takes care of the problem.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #15

The trick is do not pull straight in or out. Try to use as much of a diagonal entry and exit as reasonably possible. And look for the entrances with major inclines over short distances and pass them by if possible.
john.tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #16

Some updates ...

I drove the motorhome a little after performing the system reset ... and one of the jacks came down a bit (maybe two inches).

Then it struck me that there might be something in the documentation. (What a thought!) And, indeed, they have a section on troubleshooting which includes "Cylinders “creep” down when not in use…" For this, they suggested bleeding air from the system. Their method of bleeding air was pretty easy (fully extend the jacks and leave them extended for thirty minutes), so I did that.

I'll continue to keep an eye on them now that I've done both the system reset and the bleed procedure.

Dave
Old 10-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #17
Commercial Member

We have looked at some jacks that "fold down" and then extend to try and get that clearance back. We'll be running a proto soon, but they can only install inform of the tires.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
Some updates ...

"Cylinders “creep” down when not in use…"

Dave
haven't had that problem, thankfully

since I did the reset a couple of weeks ago, I've had no more problems
Old 10-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #19

Quick update - Since this was my first time encountering a major issue, it took me some time to figure out how to get things done...But, since the big foots are under warranty, Easy Care would not address the corrective maintenance. So, finally got approval for a Forest River sponsored / certified Mobile RV Technician out to my location to take a look at why the two rear big foot jacks extracted by themselves and would not retract. Well - the technician went underneath to pull off the pump motor cover and within 10-15 seconds said the motor was shot. The motor ground wire is melted, indicating a short in the motor. Additionally, the positive wire was taped to the clamp. The clamp was not clamped to the positive wire (Red Tape). Moreover, the ground wire was grounded to the relay solenoid. And last, the plastic reservoir was somewhat melted. So plastic material got into the reservoir fluid. The technician just pulled the whole motor bracken out. Hopefully tomorrow, Forest River will allow the technician to replace the motor system and solenoids and wiring with new equipment. Not good my 2014 Solera i purchased new in July, 2014 is broke down, but I'm hopeful Forest River will come through. They seem quick to make good decisions in support of the customer. More to follow. Mike
BLK-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #20

Been having this problem with the stabilizers since we purchased our 24S. They, Camping World, have replaced 3 circuit boards, and the last time the motor and tank assy. They have reset everything according to the factory specs. STILL we are having the same problem. They don't have an answer for this problem. Ours will also start up for about 2-3 seconds, with everything turned OFF. Really bad at 3 AM when yur sleeping right over them.
Tinbender1947 is offline   Reply With Quote