Old 05-15-2015, 12:30 PM   #1

Bike Rack and Rear Slide Clearance

Does anyone use a trailer hitch bike rack on their 2400R or other model with a rear slide? I'm wondering if there is enough clearance with the rear slide fully extended.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:09 PM   #2

My Yakima bike rack folds down to allow the rear slide to come out all the way and I have a label at the rear slide switch to remind us to check the bike rack. Otherwise, you find out the hard way!

(Sold the Vibe 6506)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAm326 View Post
Does anyone use a trailer hitch bike rack on their 2400R or other model with a rear slide? I'm wondering if there is enough clearance with the rear slide fully extended.
You can use a step down for the hitch if needed to clear the slide.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:02 PM   #4

Mike, the strp down hitch then leaves the bottom of the hitch at a point where it will drag on any incline. I looked at a 3-4" drop hitch and decided it was just too vulnerable. And my bike rack (Thule) tips down as well. This is a decent but not entirely satisfactory solution. I have a scratch on the slide out where is touched the handlebars of the bike just as i remembered they were there...
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoctor View Post
Mike, the strp down hitch then leaves the bottom of the hitch at a point where it will drag on any incline. I looked at a 3-4" drop hitch and decided it was just too vulnerable. And my bike rack (Thule) tips down as well. This is a decent but not entirely satisfactory solution. I have a scratch on the slide out where is touched the handlebars of the bike just as i remembered they were there...
I have a 4" drop for my tow bar and have not had any dragging problems. May depend on the hitch set up.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #6

Thanks for the insight guys, our 2400R is still at the factory so I guess I will have to wait until we get it to see which way I want to go with the bike rack. Have the same clearance concerns with a motorcycle trailer, wondering if a V-nose trailer will have enough clearance. I will have to do some measurements with that before I get one of those too. I use an open trailer now but would like an enclosed one in the future.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:15 PM   #7

We need a 4" drop for our tow dolly for our Solera. We live in Colorado (moved here from St. Augustine 5 years ago) and we do have issues with it dragging on our steep circular driveway. We learned the hard way to only go down in one direction after carving a trench in the steeper side. Just came back from a trip to Virginia and we have not had any trouble on highways but were on the lookout for speed bumps that might have caused trouble.

Tags
bike, bike rack, slide