Old 11-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

There's really not much you can do other than to make sure you keep full.

I've only ran into this issue in Illinois so I'd recommend filling up before you enter.
I've not seen a truck stop only have bio blend.

Do yourself a favor and buy a truckers atlas and plot out your route with fuel stops that have normal uls diesel.

Turbs

Old 11-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #32

X2 what Turbs said.

If you really find yourself with no other option but B20 then I would put in enough fuel to get to the next truck stop. Mixing B20 with what you already have in your fuel tank will at least dilute the mixture.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #33

Oakman, I believe your over looking an important "fact". See the related post in this forum, discussing biodiesel, and warranties being voided for using biodiesel in excess of 5%. It's actually quite simple. If it is determined by those manufacturers that specifically state, use of greater than five percent biodiesel voids said stated warranties covering, engine componets, then those engines and or components, through examination by their associated dealers service departments decide, not the owners, who is on the "hook" so to speak who pays, period. It would be the best interest of those owners to avoid states where the biofuel is sold. Or, calculate fuel use, so as to avoid buying substandard fuel(as stated by those mfg.) to avoid engine componet damage.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #34

I doubt that using B20 a few non-consecutive times will result in damaged injectors or a voided warranty. The fact is it is harder to find bio-diesel than "normal" diesel, Illinois being the exception. I would be hard pressed to find bio-diesel here in my area unless I cross the river to IL.

As Turbs said, get a Truckers Atlas and plan out your route using only truck stops.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 11-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #35

Hmmm. I need to study about this more. I really don't know how they would know what fuel you " have run" in your rig. I suggest a lubricity additive with any fuels as long as it meets OEM criteria. The internet is your friend here.
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #36

Doubt if you will, but the fact is, lL, CO and Missouri already sell only bio20. Seriously, read the related post. It doesn't matter what an owner believes, what matters is what the manufacturer, who covers the repair under warranty determines. That will be evident or not, upon the inspection of the engine componet failures, not what the owner might say at time of claim. The use of bio diesel in greater amounts of the covered bio5 when belived by the manufacturer to be the cause, is what they will consider, period.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteSolera View Post
Doubt if you will, but the fact is, lL, CO and Missouri already sell only bio20.
I'm sorry but that is not a true statement. Here in MO most places I've been to don't sell B20. whether the diesel here in MO is B5 or not I can't say for sure. One thing I do know, there isn't a sticker on any diesel pumps in my area that state B5. Also there are many places in IL that don't sell B20 diesel, you just have to look for them.

On the gasoline pumps in my area there is sticker stating 10% ethanol.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 11-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #38

Not having a diesel I can't have a full opinion on the efficiency issues with bio fuel. It doesn't directly affect me most of the time.

I did hear once (and found a wiki article supporting) that Rudolph Diesel initially intended the engine to run on vegetable oil. Dinosaur fuel has surpassed it, but considering that the green stuff is actually more locally sustainable and does not come from countries that some times have ideological conflicts with ours, it could be great if we could focus on making the bio-fuels work without destroying the devices we are already pouring money into.

If I had to choose, I would rather have a bio-diesel than a hybrid to reduce my carbon footprint, if it ever becomes fashionable to discuss that concern again. If nothing else, diesel is a heck of a lot simpler to work on and does not have a built in failure factor of a huge heavy battery.

That said, until we have a crisis that stops all fossil fuel, we are going to limp along trying to satisfy everyone, gas companies and farmers. As I recall from the fable about the father, his son and their donkey, compromising to make everyone happy usually makes no one happy.

Once a challenge becomes politicized, it is usually best to focus on something else. The leaders who get paid to talk it over and compromise so they can produce campaign ads showing how swell they are, are not best known for their engineering expertise.

See, I said I didn't have a lot to say.
2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #39

Oakman, good to hear. Would people who own Solera, MB Sprinter chassis chim in to proof the article quoted in the other related post. That post also said that MN is a B20 state as well. Maybe through feedback on this post we can see just how big or small the issue really might be.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I've not seen much in the way of bio in Iowa or Wisconsin.

Turbs