Old 10-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #1

Bio Fuel

I realized that its getting hard to find B5 or even straight diesel fuel. A couple of times I went from gas station to gas station and all they sold was B20! Is there any way to find out in advance where to get B5 or less diesel when you plan a trip??

Straight from the book:
Mercedes Benz does not allow diesel fuels containing greater than 5% biodiesel (B5) due to concerns about "production shortcomings". Any damages caused by the use of such non-approved fuels will not be covered by the Mercedes-Benz Limited Warranty.

Sometimes its hard to find the label, but esp. in IL they all had B20. How harmful is it really to the engine?

Hans

Old 10-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #2

In IL make sure you hit truck stops and fill up where the semis do. My experience so far has been that they are the only places with non-biodiesel.
I did some research before buying our Solera and a few posts mentioned that "the fuel rod broke due to the higher viscosity of biofuel." Google biodiesel Sprinter and you'll find the info I did.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #3

Looks like gov't regulation will cause fuel related issues in the Sprinter as I read the various posts. So, what now?
Old 10-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #4

I am kind of shocked, I was not aware of this. That means that if you buy a diesel sprinter based vehicle you are voiding the warranty and there is nothing we can do about it
Old 10-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Ethyl Alcohol additives have been causing damage to non-Flex gasoline engines for years. The Warranties have still been honored.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Robert Mayberry

Also, be careful in Canada. I noticed that Petro Canada sells Low Sulfer fuel at some stations. Either that or they forgot to change out the stickers on the pump. You should only use Ultra Low Sulfer fuel.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:05 AM   #7

Not to many answers here! Let me ask differently:
- What kind of diesel blend is available in your area?
- What are you doing if you get caught somewhere on a trip and there is only B20 available?

Side note: although MB only approves a max blend of 5%, in Germany you will get nothing less then 7% (mandated by government)
Old 10-30-2013, 12:47 AM   #8

To Herk, ethyl added fuel can contain "up to" 10% of ethyl. Flex fuel marked vehicles are designed to burn E85 or regular gasoline. E85 is 85% ethylol. I realize thats not the topic, but I wanted to clarify. I will be putting my solera to bed soon, so can't really help on this post till spring. I have burned the 5% bio stuff, and didn't notice any lower fuel economy. May I suggest, for those who keep detailed fuel records, note bio, %, and what you observe during that tank use. Best, someone bring this post back early next year, so we can see what, if any, issues occur through the records.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #9

I haven't seen too many pumps with the B20 except in IL. If you're concerned about using B20 then I wouldn't hesitate to use truck stops for fueling and use the pumps for the big rigs.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmayberry View Post
Also, be careful in Canada. I noticed that Petro Canada sells Low Sulfer fuel at some stations. Either that or they forgot to change out the stickers on the pump. You should only use Ultra Low Sulfer fuel.
note that since late 2006 all on-road diesel fuel in Canada, must be ULSD (15ppm sulfur) - Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel

The Canadian General Standards Board, the body that sets refining standards for commercial fuel in Canada, has also regulated that ULSD must have the lubricating qualities required for todayís fuel pumps and injector systems. Any fuel that cannot meet the standard will need to have a lubricity agent added at the refinery.