Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #1

Blown Turbo Hose

We just returned from our first major trip in our 2010 Solera from San Diego to Seattle and back. Wonderful trip and the Solera performed beautifully on the road. However, we blew a turbo hose on the Oregon coast. Required a 2 hour tow. The dealer in Beaverton told me that it is a chronic problem which usually occurs between 20,000-30,000 miles. He was surprised to see it happen on mine with only 6,000 miles. He replaced it with an "upgraded" hose. Has anyone seen a recall on this problem or experienced a similar breakdown?
scarlton46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:06 AM   #2

A Google search so far reveals this to be an issue for up to 2007 models, but not ours...hmmm....I'll keep looking...

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #3

I wrote about our problems with our 2011 Solera on another thread, but noticed that it might be good to post it here since scarlton46 has dealt with a similar problem. I've copied and pasted my original post below:

On our way to the RV dealer to have the slide seal checked out, the 'check engine light' came on & the engine's power was severely cut/limited...the Solera would go no more than 40 mph. Made for a very long trip.

We were told by the service dept. that it would have to be towed to the nearest Sprinter dealer to be checked.

According to the owner's manual, it's probably something to do with the fuel injection system.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

We have a 2011 Solera that we bought new in June, 2011.

Just to update my original post...
Our 2011 Solera is on a Freightliner chasis with a Mercedes diesel engine. We switched to the diesel engine from a Ford 350 gasoline engine hoping for better gas mileage.
We heard from the RV dealer where we took it yesterday (remember we were originally headed in to have the slide seals repaired). They have located a "Sprinter" authorized service center, but now they are trying to figure out how to tow it to them, because no one wants to drive 40 mph through downtown Dallas to get to the service center.
The goal right now is to get it to the service center so they can do the diagnostics. We are being told that it's all under warranty...hope so.

Update:
When my husband spoke to our RV dealer's service center manager yesterday(2 days in), they were still trying to find someone to "flat trailer" the Solera to a Freightliner authorized dealer/service center so it could be 'diagnosed'.

Just to be honest, I feel rather helpless. I keep thinking, "What if this had happened on the road. Would I be sitting by the side of the road for the last three days?"

Are these Freightliner/Sprinter/Mercedes diesel motorhomes that difficult to have serviced?
popandgrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I think there is just limited amount of people that "want" to work on them .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:42 AM   #5

I don't understand what you're being given so much trouble.

Although a Freightliner, Mercedes can also work on them (mine is the "Dodge" and my local Mercedes dealer performs my service). Why not call the local Freightliner and Mercedes dealer yourselves (rather than relying on your RV dealer) to see if they can help you, then have it towed there yourself. Keep your dealer and Frieghtliner informed.

In addition, did you not get a towing service (such as Coach.net) with your Solera? Typically you get a first year free. I use Sams Road Service and recently used them for a tow (blown tire); worked great and cost nothing.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:46 PM   #6

To be honest, we are so new at the 'motorhome' business that we thought we were taking it to the correct place when we took it to the dealership where we bought it. We owned an Itasca Prism on a Ford chassis (gas) very briefly, but not long enough to need service. Prior to that we've always had fifth wheels.

Yes, we considered going back and picking it up from the dealer and driving it to the Freightliner service center ourselves (in limp mode), but the service manager at our original dealership highly discouraged that for fear that it would completely break down on the way; and yes, we do have the roadside assistance through Coach.net, and that will be our next call.

We didn't start out that way this time because we were on our way to the selling dealer when the whole engine mess started. Since the Solera continued running (although in 'emergency mode') we decided to continue to the dealership.

We've been in touch with the dealership's service center again today. As we understand it now, our motorhome is being towed to the Freightliner dealer/service center as I type. Hopefully, we will know something as soon as they get it there and put it on the computer.

We also think we've figured out why it has taken all week for them to find someone to tow our mh. It seems that they've been getting ready for a big RV show...(driving/towing RVs to the facility).

Believe me, if it happens again, we don't plan to go through the original dealership. We will stop and call roadside assistance or 'limp' to the nearest service center ourselves.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #7

Update:
Our Solera made it to the FreightlinerSprinter dealer/service center!!! Spoke with a very nice young man there this morning. The Sprinter tech will be there Monday morning and check it out.

Spoke with a customer rep with FreightlinerSprinter in New Jersey last night & learned a couple of interesting facts. Most of you probably already know this, but it was new info for us.
First...Texas is one of 13 states that requires (by law) that FreightlinerSprinters be serviced ONLY by FreightlinerSprinter dealer/service centers...something to do with emissions. There are two dealers in the state.
Second...even though we purchased our mh in June of this year (2011) according to their records the warranty period began on July 19, 2010...over a year ago. She said it's something that the dealer has to correct. So I will notify them on Monday. The July, 2010 is the date the chassis left the factory. Our chassis is a 2010 model and our coach is a 2011 (which is fairly common I think.) Anyway, if you haven't already done so, it might be good to give the Customer Service Center a call and check on your warranty information. The number is in the back of the "Warranty" booklet.
I'll update further when we talk to them on Monday.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #8

sprinter

I have a Sprinter with a custom box on it for work. I have had many big problems including the turbo issue you just had. The most major though, I'm on the 3rd transmission! The Sprinter dealers are disappearing, including the one where I bought mine.
I have a FR Gtown, and everytime I see a Sprinter RV, I wonder if those peoples dream has been shattered yet?
Ggantilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggantilla View Post
I have a Sprinter with a custom box on it for work. I have had many big problems including the turbo issue you just had. The most major though, I'm on the 3rd transmission! The Sprinter dealers are disappearing, including the one where I bought mine.
I have a FR Gtown, and everytime I see a Sprinter RV, I wonder if those peoples dream has been shattered yet?
Nice.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by popandgrom View Post
Update:
Our Solera made it to the FreightlinerSprinter dealer/service center!!! Spoke with a very nice young man there this morning. The Sprinter tech will be there Monday morning and check it out.

Spoke with a customer rep with FreightlinerSprinter in New Jersey last night & learned a couple of interesting facts. Most of you probably already know this, but it was new info for us.
First...Texas is one of 13 states that requires (by law) that FreightlinerSprinters be serviced ONLY by FreightlinerSprinter dealer/service centers...something to do with emissions. There are two dealers in the state.
Second...even though we purchased our mh in June of this year (2011) according to their records the warranty period began on July 19, 2010...over a year ago. She said it's something that the dealer has to correct. So I will notify them on Monday. The July, 2010 is the date the chassis left the factory. Our chassis is a 2010 model and our coach is a 2011 (which is fairly common I think.) Anyway, if you haven't already done so, it might be good to give the Customer Service Center a call and check on your warranty information. The number is in the back of the "Warranty" booklet.
I'll update further when we talk to them on Monday.
I would check on that "law" if I were you. The dealer has an incentive to tell you that, and it may be false (I suspect it is false).

I think you'll find that Mercedes dealers can also work on them (if they have the size shop to accommodate). These are Mercedes Benz vans which have been badged "Frieightliner. Give one of them a call to see what they say about this, out of curiosity. You'll want to confirm this so you'll have options if necessary.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:41 PM   #11

Wednesday, September 21
Wanted to post an update on our 'check engine' saga. Our whole problem was caused by 'dirt daubers' or you may know them as 'mud daubers'. They had managed to build a nest completely around a tube having something to do with the fuel injection system. There was actually nothing wrong with the engine or the injection system once the nest was removed and everything was steam cleaned. I don't know if other states deal with these pesky, destructive little insects or not; but here in Texas it is a constant battle. This one just outsmarted us.

The service manager at Dallas Freightliner/Sprinter was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. We picked our mh up today and it seems to be doing fine. However, the work was not covered under the warranty because of the dirt daubers so we had to pay the repair bill...the worst part though was that we also had to pay the towing fee which was outrageous. Since our selling dealership was the one that insisted it be towed and not driven to Freightliner, they are 'checking' to see if they can work with us on the towing fee.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:09 AM   #12
Commercial Member

All Forest River units come with Coachnet for the first year. You should be able to turn that it if it's still in that time frame.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote