Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #1

Blowout!

Hello all,

I just joined the forum. We have an '09 Solera which we purchased new early last year. Currently we have a little over 8K miles on it. We love this motorhome! But, we did have an incident yesterday...

While traveling home yesterday, 2 hours from home driving 12 hours, we heard a loud "woosh", soon followed by a lot of loud thumping. We pulled over and found both RR tires FLAT.

We are not sure what happened, but based upon the sequence of events it appears that all this was caused by a faulty extender, which failed on the inside tire, causing the woosh, and after that tire went flat the overloaded outside tire lasted only a while longer then blew from the load!

Thanks to the Good Sam Roadside Assistance we were back on the road in 3 hours. Great service, especially considering it was a holiday weekend.

The inside tire appears to be fine, is still holding air and is now our spare. We replaced it with a new tire, and put the original spare on the outside. Now I also need to buy a new chrome wheel simulator and extenders as all of that flew off and was lost during this event.

Never a dull moment....
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
49 year camping veteran

Glad you fared well on the repair. Road service is a life-saver!!!

After a couple of similar blowouts with my Dad on his class C mini, tracked it down to the extender tubes going bad and having slow leaks causing the blowout.

Got rid of them and no issues since. Little tougher to get in and measure pressure / add air.
Maxterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:07 AM   #3

Start looking at a pressure monitoring system. It'll give you a hint of a problem before it becomes a REAL problem. IMHO, well worth the investment!

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:30 AM   #4

What pressure monitoring system would you advise on. I'm looking to purchase one also
Team Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:34 AM   #5

I use the Pressure Pro, and I like it very much. That said, since I bought mine, more than one brand now offers units with batteries that the user can change, rather than send the sending units back to the factory every few years, so If I had it to do over again now, I might have purchased differently...

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I also use Pressure Pro. I had sensor go bad in 4 years, and Pressure Pro replaced that for $30. Batteries have not been needed to be replaced yet. The system works great.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #7

I'm looking at Pressure Pro and Doran systems. The equivalent Doran costs $85 less based on MSRP...

Old 07-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #8

Found the TST system with 6 moniters for 299. RV Tire Systems

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #9

I think I'm sold on the TireTraker! $289 w/ free shipping. Check out these videos...

YouTube - ‪TireTraker Vs PressurePro‬‏

YouTube - ‪TireTraker Installation‬‏

And the web site...

TireTraker TPMS

I really like the fact that the monitor is rechargeable, small and the sensors are the lightest on the market and the batteries can be changed in them.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #10

Do you have to install the steel stems for the TST system?

Old 07-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
Do you have to install the steel stems for the TST system?
These are highly recommended in any case; but for a TPMS they are almost mandatory. With the pressure cap in place the centrifugal force at 60 MPH will bend the rubber ones until the cap touches the rim. This is VERY hard on the stem and the pressure cap.

I took mine off completely because the TPMS (supplied as a VERY expensive option) was bending the rubber stem to the point it was leaking. I now have steel stems, but never bothered to put the supplied TPMS caps back on because they only alerted at 25 PSI. Since I had C rated tires running 50 PSI (before I upgraded to D rated ones) they were damn near useless. 25 PSI is a blowout already happened.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:55 AM   #12

Question - do tires need to be removed from the rims to install steel stems?

Old 07-06-2011, 05:26 AM   #13

Yes. I took mine to Big O and they installed the four new stems, balanced the tires (all four where way off balance) and filled the tires with nitrogen.

Cost was about $60.

They jacked up each side of the TT with two floor jacks. One side at a time. I also made sure they torqued the lugs to spec.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:45 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgmat View Post
Yes. I took mine to Big O and they installed the four new stems, balanced the tires (all four where way off balance) and filled the tires with nitrogen.

Cost was about $60.
I had the steel stems installed and tires balanced on all 4 of my trailer trailer tires with a 80% nitrogen fill for $36.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:31 AM   #15

Update - I'm taking her in for steel stems this coming Saturday. I'm ordering a new wheel simulator and extenders from my dealer (he is far, far away but can get them for me and ship - and wow, they are impossible to buy "online"). I will also be purchasing a TireTraker system.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Update - I'm taking her in for steel stems this coming Saturday. I'm ordering a new wheel simulator and extenders from my dealer (he is far, far away but can get them for me and ship - and wow, they are impossible to buy "online"). I will also be purchasing a TireTraker system.
Update #2 - stems had to be ordered; so I take her in next Sat. for the installs...

Old 07-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #17
Villa Estate 392FLFB

so are both of your stems going to be easily accessible when you are done and ready to roll?

i have to change the dually stems on my bus.. they are steel and nubs and you have to have a special air chuck to get on to fill or even check the pressure!
Old 07-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stuff View Post
so are both of your stems going to be easily accessible when you are done and ready to roll?

i have to change the dually stems on my bus.. they are steel and nubs and you have to have a special air chuck to get on to fill or even check the pressure!
Thanks for asking; yes, I will also have valve extenders as necessary, and then my TireTraker system on top of that!

Old 07-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #19

Has anyone used this brand?

6 Tire Pressure Monitoring System SALE PRICED at $299 - Truck System Technologies, Inc.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #20

Update #3 - Dealer ordered wrong stems; since I'll be out of town next weekend now I'll have to wait two more weeks until metal stem install.

Tags
blowout, good sam, solera, tire