Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #1

Boost Starting

Some RVs built on the Sprinter chassis have a built in boost switch which permits the house batteries to connect to the chassis battery for emergency starting.

As far as I know the Solera does not have this ability.

Is there any reason you couldn't jump the chassis battery from the house battery using a jumper cable? (Probably wouldn't need to make the negative connection due to common grounds?)
Old 08-10-2013, 06:03 AM   #2

Look down low on the left side of the driver's seat. That's where the boost switch is on Sunseeker's.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousin01 View Post
Some RVs built on the Sprinter chassis have a built in boost switch which permits the house batteries to connect to the chassis battery for emergency starting.

As far as I know the Solera does not have this ability.

Is there any reason you couldn't jump the chassis battery from the house battery using a jumper cable? (Probably wouldn't need to make the negative connection due to common grounds?)
In a pinch I don't see why not. Deep cycle batteries are not designed for starting and thus will lack the full cranking amps of a starting battery but at the same time "dead" batteries" often put out much more cranking power than we think. You likely right, bridging the positives should work.

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:43 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
Look down low on the left side of the driver's seat. That's where the boost switch is on Sunseeker's.
Sunseekers yes, Solera no. For whatever reason, MB had an issue with it. I know others may do it... but maybe they are unaware.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:50 PM   #5

Do the current 2016 Sunseeker MBS models have the battery boost? I know the Winnebago and Itasca models do so I doubt there is a Mercedes issue with it.

2016 Sunseeker MBS 2400R + Diesel Gen
2014 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Flat Tow Equipment
SMI Stay-In-Play Brake Controller
ericlakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:19 AM   #6
Commercial Member

They do not. We're looking into it right now. While you say there is no issue, their owners manual states otherwise...which is why we have not done it.

I have attached a pdf of that page in question. basically it says "warning, do not use auxiliary battery for start aid...blah, blah, blah, end of the world, etc, etc".

We're talking to them now about a work around.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SPRINTER ELECTRICAL.pdf (396.1 KB, 67 views)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:10 PM   #7

That's interesting info! I wonder why other RV manufacturers do it on the same chassis. Perhaps they have some circuitry in place to protect from a battery apocalypse.

Also of interest is the location of the battery cutoff by the driver's foot. When I took delivery of my MBS the service guy also showed me a red switch under the hood that he said was for disconnecting the battery. Are there two locations for this?
ericlakin is offline   Reply With Quote