Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #1

Brake Light stuck on after water filter change

When I changed the water filter there was some water that must have gotten onto the panel where the brake, tail and turn signal fuses are. Why on earth they put the panel up against the water filter is beyond me but that's where it is. So now when the RV is off, the right brake light stays illuminated. When I turn the RV on and all the lights are working the right brake light is still lit but the turn signal on that side does not work. I have checked the fuses and they all look fine. I pulled the plug with 2 wires out of the panel and that turns off the brake light. So, I thought maybe there is still water in there and spent 30 mins with a blow dryer on the panel and surrounding area but when I plug the wires back in the brake light is still stuck on. I know absolutely nothing about electrical systems and we are supposed to leave tomorrow on a 2 week trip. Any ideas?
Samsmomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsmomo View Post
When I changed the water filter there was some water that must have gotten onto the panel where the brake, tail and turn signal fuses are. Why on earth they put the panel up against the water filter is beyond me but that's where it is. So now when the RV is off, the right brake light stays illuminated. When I turn the RV on and all the lights are working the right brake light is still lit but the turn signal on that side does not work. I have checked the fuses and they all look fine. I pulled the plug with 2 wires out of the panel and that turns off the brake light. So, I thought maybe there is still water in there and spent 30 mins with a blow dryer on the panel and surrounding area but when I plug the wires back in the brake light is still stuck on. I know absolutely nothing about electrical systems and we are supposed to leave tomorrow on a 2 week trip. Any ideas?
I'm afraid you may have had water infiltration into the brake module. This is a frequent failure amongst the MBS chassis. Because of the can bus system, Forest river can't tap directly into the circuit to power the signals and clearance lights. This necessitates a secondary controller. And although it is supposed to be impervious to water, IT A'INT! I've replaced my 2015 Solera's twice. Both under warranty... This is the most frequent cause of the malfunction you describe. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180512_172320.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	179993
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:10 AM   #3

So the brake module won't dry out? Ugh. Thanks for your help. I plan to take the RV in today to my local guy and this will help guide him.
Samsmomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:17 PM   #4

did you find the issue? If not, check all your fuses adjacent to the filter. That solved my exact problem.
ronncda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:09 PM   #5

The tail light controller has been recalled. Here is a thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...65-124990.html

Somewhere there is a list of VINS in the above thread or another thread. I never got a recall notice, but I did check my VIN vs. the list and my VIN was on it.
It's a NHTSA recall, so all Forest River dealers must honor the replacement at no charge to you.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsmomo View Post
What year is your RV. Different light controllers depending on year
Old 09-05-2020, 12:12 PM   #7

I think I may have done the same thing

I have a 2014 Solera 24R. I took it into Mercedes to get airbags replaced under recall. After de-winterizing and dropping a little bit of water from the water filter container, my passenger side brake light would not turn off. I immediately took it back to Mercedes thinking it was their fault. They said the fault is not in the van section but in the rear cabin. That did not make sense to me but after reading Samsmomo's problem I think they must be right. Mercedes is desperate for more info on wiring diagrams for the tail lights or the Curt Controller (if they are the original manufacturer). Any information like wiring diagrams or location of the brake light controller would be very helpful. I have been searching the internet and have found nothing yet. I called my dealer and they have no diagrams. They recommended I call Forest River which I did and Patricia Zilm's voice mail box is full. I emailed her and hope for a speedy response.

I did not know about or see a fuse box back near the water filter. I may have to take it back to my old RV dealer but they were never good on Mercedes chassis. I also tried to find out if this controller was under recall but my vin number doesn't show up. I wonder if this is because I am in Canada and under different recall rules?
a_charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:31 PM   #8

Your brake light

You are correct. When replacing the water filter, you likely had water spray on the adjacent fuses. If you check those that are most easily checked, you'll likely find one burned out, correcting your light issue. Be aware that your rear slide controller is right there too. Do not get water on this as it will eventually cause corrosion making the controller unusable except on manual bypass. I always carried an extra controller just for that purpose. Both slides use the same controller
Re trailer brake...check under the drivers seat for an unused (blue?) plastic connector. If you have that connector you may find that your brake controller will plug in there. If you don't have the connector, you'll need to go under the dash and fiddle with wires coming off brake switch. For your sake, hope for the connector under the seat since the brake wires are quite small and you need to be a contortionist to get under there. To check for the (blue?) plastic connector you can remove the seat and plastic black foam dust cover and it will be fairly obvious. You may be able to remove the cover on the side of the seat mount and using a flash light, it may be visible.
FWIW, I had the 2013 24r so things may be slightly different.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:54 PM   #9

[

I did not know about or see a fuse box back near the water filter. I may have to take it back to my old RV dealer but they were never good on Mercedes chassis. I also tried to find out if this controller was under recall but my vin number doesn't show up. I wonder if this is because I am in Canada and under different recall rules? [/QUOTE]

I also have a 2014R. The light controller is mount in the same area as the fresh water pump. If you open the door to access the pump, to your right mounted to the rear of that compartment is the light controller. It has several fuses and each is labeled. It is just inside the pump area. Have to get your head close to see it.

I had a similiar problem years ago and it was a partially blown fuse. fuse test for continuity but would open when heats.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:40 PM   #10

Thank you very much for your replies and for letting me know where the light controller/fuses are located. So if I am reading it correctly, the controller/fuses are in a different compartment than the water filter and are near the water pump beside the fresh water tank. (can't look now due to the fact the RV is still at Mercedes waiting for a sensor part. See below). Not sure how far the light controller is from the water filter.

I spilt very little water from the water filter and cleaned it up promptly. It still surprises me if water seepage was the cause of the problem being in a different area; but that must have been the case and agree that a fuse or controller is at fault. I will also follow ronncda's advice and get a back-up slider controller.

It does get a bit more confusing because when I drove back to Mercedes dealer some dashboard warning lights came on, the ABS, ASR and the yellow check engine light was on. They did a diagnostic check and found that the "driving" sensor on the driver's side rear tires needed to be replaced. It all seems to be in the same general area and I am worried that there might be something else going on, possibly a larger leakage problem.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:36 PM   #11

Your ASR light and slide controller

Out of curiosity, was there a pretty heavy wind the day your ASR light came on? I ask because a strong gust from either side will/can set off the ASR. You can reset by stopping, shutting down and restarting. Voila, the ASR is reset. Go figure.

On your slide controller, shop around. I was quoted everything from $125.00 to $425.00. I happened to be in Florida at the time, the 425 quote was from a RV parts supplier in Tampa, while the cheapest was from a big box dealer outside FT Myers on the freeway. BTW, the front of the slide controller has instructions on bypass operation. Very straight forward, simple and to the point.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:07 PM   #12

[QUOTE=a

It does get a bit more confusing because when I drove back to Mercedes dealer some dashboard warning lights came on, the ABS, ASR and the yellow check engine light was on. They did a diagnostic check and found that the "driving" sensor on the driver's side rear tires needed to be replaced. It all seems to be in the same general area and I am worried that there might be something else going on, possibly a larger leakage problem.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the light control is in a different compartment. The compart door access is the next to the last door on the driver side. Open the outside access, then the black fold down pump access door. If you have a mirror it would make it easyer to see the light controller circuit board. This is NOT a Curt controller that many reference. Its on the rear wall inside the pump/tank access. You will see blade type fuses down the driver side of the board. I doubt water got to the board from changing the filter. It is far away from the filter.

As far as the ABS, ASR check engine light: The wiring for the sensors is all external. Highly doubt water from filter got to those.

I have had more than one speed sensor fail during the warrinty period. As someone else suggested, If it happeds again, turn of the engine for a few minutes, then restart.

If I have another sensor failure, I will replace myself. I have a scanner that will point me to the malfunctioning unit.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:45 PM   #13

Ronncda there was no wind. That was the tip off for me. I had seen those sensors triggered one time before when I was driving north of Calgary with a severe prairie cross wind. I should not have been driving in that weather. I think I saw a trailer blown off the road. I didn't blame the RV for screaming sensors. As you said, they did reset. Also, if you have a part name or number for that Slide controller, it would greatly be appreciated.

MIkegjax I am agreeing with you about the water from the filter not being the cause after you describing the location and also the speed sensor makes sense it would be protected from water being external. If its not a Curt controller, then I am assuming my vehicle doesn't have a recall on the light controller.

My brain just can't stop trying to find a common thread to all this. Taking it out of storage and driving to the Mercedes dealer and everything is ok. Lights were working properly. My wife was driving behind me and checked. After getting it back with nothing special on the way home I began preparing the RV for a trip. Did the de-winterizing, checked a few appliances and noticed the tail lights then thinking they must have done something when changing the air bags. I don't have a proper scanner for the Mercedes but I do have an UltraGuage connected and was getting two error codes P068A and P20EA. Something about a power relay de-energized. There has to be a common thread somewhere or was it not my day and I have to get the message that my trip needs to be postponed. Well it is already!
Old 09-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #14

I would suggest pulling and maybe replacing the fuses on the light controller. Won't hurt and might be an easy fix. Also pull off the plug connects at the circuit board, check them for corrosion and snug fit.

Tags
light, water, water filter