Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #1

Braking systems for towed vehicle - what are you using? Recommendations??

I am going to get a Blue Ox tow bar and baseplates and begin towing this season. Would like recommendations or comments on what others are using in their towed vehicles for braking. Currently torn between Brake Buddy Vantage and Patriot. Am very open to all suggestions.
Thanks!
RSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #2

We're using a Roadmaster tow bar and baseplates and have yet to install the Readybrake supplemental brake system. We tow a 2008 Smartcar that weighs 1700lbs. The Readybrake is essentially a surge brake that is a simple mechanical linkage that fulfills the legal requirements in those areas that require supplemental brakes. A bonus is that it is relatively inexpensive.
devilsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:15 AM   #3

Readybrake

We have used a Readybrake for over 5 years and love it. We have changed vehicles and had the new hitch put on our Suzuki and have now transferred the braking system to our new Solera 24S
groupleaderpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #4

We have the blue ox system too
Our braking system is built into our jeep with an independent vacuum booster installed to keep brakes charged up at all times. It's a new wrangler with no steering lock so key is not in ignition while towing so needed booster. It stops better towing the jeep than not.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #5

More info please!

Group leader PJ - what is involved in switching the Readybrake from one towed vehicle to another? I've not purchased anything yet and in looking at Readybrake info came across a tow bar-readybrake combo called the Ready Brute Elite. Any users? Once a vehicle is wired, how difficult is it to switch to a different toad? (Say you buy a new toad after a couple of years, for instance) Help please
RSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #6

If you get a new vehicle like we did you have to have the vehicle brake cable installed or if you are handy do it yourself. It took the shop we went to about an hour. Redybrake will give you names of dealers if you ask.

We have our tow bar on the car so we use the receiver -brake but they now have the tow bar.brake in a unit but have not used it.

When you talk to readybrake you talk to one of the owners.

Dave
groupleaderpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #7

I used the Roadmaster EvenBrake on thee last coach I had and while it worked okay it was big, heavy and relies on the front of the seat to anchor it. I recently purchased an FR3 and Fiat 500 Toad. I purchased the RVi Brake System which I believe is a vast improvement over systems like the EvenBrake. It is low profile and uses the seat pan or a custom bracket they will supply free to anchor to if your car requires it. There is no give like with a seat. This sets up in about 30 seconds and has a remote monitor that goes in the coach plus has a tire pressure monitoring system that can be purchased as an option that integrates with the monitor.

This company has some of the best customer service you will find and are friendly and ready to help you personally in any way you can. You get personal service with this company. You can find countless reviews about their customer service and how well this system works on the various forums.
scivilla is offline   Reply With Quote