Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2015, 06:08 PM   #21

electronic suspension program
Old 07-21-2015, 09:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by toslow View Post
electronic suspension program
Electronic Stability Program, actually

see:

ESP: Electronic Stability Program - Car Engineer
ipolyihh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:35 PM   #23
2012 Solera

Warranty is 36000 miles (100000 engine, I think). I'm at 53000, so out of manufacturer's warranty on this failure. Checking on extended service plan. I have EasyCare Total Care. From what I read in the contract, it should cover this. Dealer is in contact with EasyCare - we'll see...

And correct - Electronic Stability Processor, as I understand it.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:01 AM   #24

So, the Sprinter lost its Extra Sensory Perception (ESP). Sorry Jim I couldn't resist.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:30 PM   #25
2012 Solera

Still Kickin - humor always appreciated!
Quick update - Mercedes of Sacramento called today - received part, installed, reports all is well and that EasyCare extended warranty is covering! We plan to go up tomorrow by train and drive it home.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:38 PM   #26
2012 Solera

Picked up our vehicle today. Drove home 150 miles mixed highway and in town. All seems to be functioning correctly. EasyCare paid (less $50 deductible). Defective part identified as "ESP Control Unit"; tech described as stability controller that attaches to the back of the antilock brake pump. As I understood his description, interactive system programming resulted in this failure bringing down everything else I experienced.
Good to have the Solera home and functional again!
Old 07-24-2015, 07:49 PM   #27

Glad to hear!

Are you going to be able to head back north on your original trip?

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:59 PM   #28
2012 Solera

Unfortunately, that trip was for my sister's birthday last Sunday. We will go up for a visit later this year. Other commitments near term
Old 07-27-2015, 10:09 PM   #29

I had something similar happen to my 2013 Solera recently. Three icons lighted up in the instrument display indicating problems with the braking systems. I stopped at Mercedes of Spokane (WA) and they diagnosed the problem as a bad right rear wheel speed sensor. They did not have one in stock and indicated that it would be safe to drive the rig home (about 300 miles) and have my local Sprinter dealer fix it under warranty.

The service at Mercedes of Spokane was superb, even without an appointment. They even asked if I had a few extra minutes as there were some computer updates available and they would be happy to do the updates. I accepted their gracious offer.

I wish the story had ended as happily at my local dealer, Mercedes of Bellingham (WA). Their service writer treated me like I was driving a garbage truck! It took them four days to "confirm" the diagnosis the Spokane tech had posted on the Mercedes network. Then, they didn't have time to order the part until I prompted them. Finally, it took another week to get the replacement wheel sensor installed…a sub-one-hour job. My Solera was at that dealership for 11 days and it would have been longer had I not gotten really insistent.

Interestingly enough, I received customer service surveys from both the dealership and Mercedes Benz' Sprinter Division. I bet you can guess how that went!
Tranquil Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:51 PM   #30
2012 Solera

Final update - just received a check from EasyCare for the tow (max of the contract - $300), the rental car (two days at the contract max of $35 per day) and the train ticket back to Sacramento to pick up the Solera. EasyCare has been great!