Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #1

Broken valve extension bracket

I am new to this forum, and tried to find an answer to this question before this post. I didn't see where it had been addressed previously. On my Solera, one of the metal brackets that holds the end of the valve extension for the dual real wheels broke. It failed at the first bend just above the screw that holds it in the hubcap. I thought I would be able to find, if not the bracket itself, the identical valve extension kit that Forest River used on the Solera. I can not find this anywhere. The closest I have found has brackets that are attached to the lug nut bolt, which doesn't work since they are covered by the hubcap. How do I locate a replacement for this bracket that attaches to the hubcap, either by purchasing the bracket itself of the kit? I don't think it makes any difference, but I have a Solera built on a Freight Liner chassis.
Thanks for any assistance you can give.
OR Ramblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OR Ramblers View Post
I am new to this forum, and tried to find an answer to this question before this post. I didn't see where it had been addressed previously. On my Solera, one of the metal brackets that holds the end of the valve extension for the dual real wheels broke. It failed at the first bend just above the screw that holds it in the hubcap. I thought I would be able to find, if not the bracket itself, the identical valve extension kit that Forest River used on the Solera. I can not find this anywhere. The closest I have found has brackets that are attached to the lug nut bolt, which doesn't work since they are covered by the hubcap. How do I locate a replacement for this bracket that attaches to the hubcap, either by purchasing the bracket itself of the kit? I don't think it makes any difference, but I have a Solera built on a Freight Liner chassis.
Thanks for any assistance you can give.
If you are out of warranty call FR> I'll attach the Phone #'s.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FRF Contact Information.pdf (46.0 KB, 48 views)

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #3

If you have the braided stainless extensions, you should consider changing to another system. Search for dual blowout, air-flexx, and valve extensions. there is plenty on the forum about problems. I went to one piece valve stems without any extension because of issues others have had...

here's my thread :
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-64806.html
tommyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #4

It looks as though the original equipment was made by Phoenix and is no longer manufactured. I left a message with Forest River asking for their suggestions but have not yet heard back from them. What I would like to do is locate a replacement bracket. The brackets I am seeing on-line are attached under the lug nut. Since the original equipment is a hubcap over the wheel, with decorative lug nuts, this isn't an option unless I mount the ends of the extensions under the hubcap on the actual lug nuts. That isn't practical.

I have about 40,000 miles on my Solera and haven't had any problems with these extensions, other than this bracket failure.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:03 PM   #5

I had the same thing happen on my last trip. I zip-tied the valve extension to the wheel cover until I got home. Then I removed the broken bracket, re-bent it and drilled a hole so it could be fastened to the wheel cover. It's a half inch shorter now, but it works great. Hope this helps.
scarlton46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #6
2018 FR3 30DS

valve stem

I just recently bought a 2015 Solera 24R and it came equipped with valve extenders I wasn't fond of, so, I ordered a set from Amazon and they are made by Phoenix and have the big lug nut holes on the bottoms of the bracket and don't work (as u know).
So, I remembered a post by BClemens, I think, that said the wheels were made by Dicor and I called them and they do sell to Forest River. The lady I spoke with told me that the correct set of valve stem extenders and brackets, etc., are made by Dicor and are part number VHS-N3CG. Thus far, I have not located this product. The lady said that RV places sell these kits, but haven't found any yet. Tweety's has a set similar but they have the big lug holes at the bottom.
Good luck and hope this helps.
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_movin View Post
The lady I spoke with told me that the correct set of valve stem extenders and brackets, etc., are made by Dicor and are part number VHS-N3CG.
I found Dicor VHS-N3GC here:

Dicor VHS-N3GC Stainless Steel 4 Hose Inflation Set

Dave
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:24 PM   #8
2018 FR3 30DS

Looking at the photo from the web site, it appears that the holes are the large ones. Could be the lady I spoke with gave me the wrong part number??
Thanks
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:09 PM   #9

We did the same thing - fed the braided line through the hub cap holes and zip tied it in place until we could get home. Your solution seems so simple - drill a hole toward the end of the remaining bracket, bend it in place and re-attach it with the original screw. I found a bracket on-line that could work, but it is not quite the original and I feel that I would need to buy two to keep the hub cap balanced. However, I would have to buy the whole kit, with the cables I don't need, to get it. Two of these would be $30.00. I'll try bending and drilling the shorter bracket first. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:39 PM   #10

If you look at the link provided above, it does in fact only show the brackets that attach under lug nuts. However, if you go to the following:

http://dicorproducts.com/catalog/whe...ts/vhs-series/

you see the original packaging which states that it contains both types of brackets and states "... and other simulators with non-lug attachment systems." You can blow-up the picture of the package to read this on the front and see 8 brackets, 4 of two different types included. If the link doesn't get you there, try proceeding through the site as follows: Home > Catalog > Wheel Products > Air-Gard™ VHS Series