Old 07-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
Stay Classy San Diego

Brrr! Cold Feet!

We go in to the dealer tomorrow to sign our paperwork...and I'm starting to get that "Oh no what have we done" feeling...

We are trading in my car towards it, so the payment isn't much more. Just for a lot longer
So that part doesn't worry me. What I'm worried about is, what is something goes wrong? What if it has issues? We went over it with a fine tooth comb and the only issues we found were - loose decorative tape on a wallpaper 'seam', and the murphy bed mechanism seemed a little off, which the salesman 'fixed' by adjusting it. We plan to be extra thorough at the PDI.

Did anyone else get the jitters pre-delivery? I just hope we get a great unit and my nervousness doesn't turn into buyer's remorse after we pick it up!

Old 07-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
what is something goes wrong? What if it has issues? We went over it with a fine tooth comb and the only issues we found were - loose decorative tape on a wallpaper 'seam', and the murphy bed mechanism seemed a little off, which the salesman 'fixed' by adjusting it. We plan to be extra thorough at the PDI.
IMHO, You get a warranty to cover the issues, what's to worry about there? Hit the road and go camping and you'll get past the BIG purchase gitters.

2006 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab 5.9L Cummins 4X4 200k mls
2010 Forest River Flagstaff 831QBSS - Equal-i-zer Hitch
2011 HD FatboyLo & 2000 Honda Shadow 1100
Nights Camped 2010 (7), 2011 (15), 2012 (35) 2013 (40) 2014 (22) 2015 (12) 2016 (10) 2017 (?)
troyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Also they offer a second year warranty through fr at a reasonable cost.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Did anyone else get the jitters pre-delivery? I just hope we get a great unit and my nervousness doesn't turn into buyer's remorse after we pick it up!
Better to do your homework before the sale; have the jitters that you did it all, than to go in blind and live with "Buyer's Remorse" for the next 10 years.

Being here, and reading about what to do before hand, should have given you a running start at the process.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Stay Classy San Diego

I just found a great PDI checklist on the FRF site PDI Checklist
I plan to use this! And, I will ask about the 2nd year warranty and no the dealer didn't mention this one...just the $3200 extended one that we passed on.
We are confidant in our choice, but it is a big investment so a few panic-y moments are to be expected I guess!
Old 07-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #6

If something doesnt feel right, then dont bring it home. Dont let the emotion and excitement overtake your better judgement. Through this Forum I have read about people buying units that had issues even on the walkthru & wondered why they still brought it home & complain. If it doesnt feel right, if your questions/concerns are not satisfactorily answered, walk away....go back when they make it right.
Buyers forget they are the ones empowered, not the dealership. Buyers get emotional and sucked into (or shamed) into the purchase. I didnt care how dumb I may have appeared when I bought my unit, I didnt care how long it took on the walkthru, I was determined to understand and see every part of the trailer set up & ensure ALL parts worked. I explained this to my mecjanic savvy spouse that he needed to kick back and take a walk if this would irritate him - but since I was the one who would be the primary user, I needed to "get it"...Lord help me if my husband has to explaon mechanical things to me - he assumes I know by sheer osmosis of decades of marriage. haha

Bring along a notebook & TAKE YOUR TIME! As you point out - You ARE paying the bill, so remind yourself this as you begon to doubt that your being "too picky/anal/suspicious...its YOUR hard earned money that is paying that salesman & dealership their livelohoods.

You really wont know about the little stuff until you start to use it & alot of times, its operator error. haha...You are covered under warranty for the big stufff & even buying the 2bd year is a piece of mind - a small amount in comparison to the big purchase you are in the process of making.

Congratulations with the new unit! I hope you bring it home with no remorse - this is supposed to be fun and look forward to good times in it! Just breathe ..LOL

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
2012 Solera

Ditto on the "if something doesn't feel right don't bring it home". After sale repairs are problematic - dealers (at least mine) not very responsive.
Specifically from our experience with our 2012 Solera - three "big" items and two "small" items to watch out for:
1) Tire valve extenders on duals - Forest River is now using "airless" valve extenders. My dealer said these were great and did not need to be fastened to the wheel covers. My experience - the outer dual extenders had stems too short to depress the tire valves - when I got the coach home I found the outers at 10 psi less than the inners - I suspect the dealer set the pressure in the valve extenders instead of the tires! Check the tire pressures yourself. Also, one of the extenders would intermittently press the valve and hold it partially open after driving - deflating the tire overnight. Believe this was the result of the extender "whipping around" while driving. I recommend using wire ties to attach the wheel covers to the wheels and the valve extenders to the wheel covers so they don't whip around - as noted for the "old style" valve extenders in this forum.
2) Slide Out - you already noted the Murphy Bed issue - also common on this forum. We have the "S" model - different slide out issues - but there seem to be issues regularly noted on this forum with both slide outs. Make sure it works smoothly; don't accept excuses from the dealer (low batteries; needs lubrication; they are all that way; ...). If he says they are all that way, make him demonstrate on three other coaches randomly selected by you!
3) Magnadyne In Dash Entertainment Center - see the thread on this forum in "General Tech and Repair / Appliances and Electronics". See if it switches to "dim / night" mode when you start the engine. Test watching a DVD movie on the House TV - look for dark bars on the screen; listen for "hum" in the audio. Test listening to a TV program through the Magnadyne - again, listen for "hum". If your units has "hum" and/or dark bars, have the dealer correct - a solution is to install ground loop interrupters on the video and all the audio lines between the Magnadyne and the TV. Magnadyne is also working on a problem in which the GPS function occasionally re-boots while driving. No way to test for this at buy-off - very unpredictable.
4) Minor - shower door latch doesn't hold while driving. Dealer "fixed" by adjusting the door crooked to attempt to jam the latch. Did not work. I readjusted the door and added (glued) a small piece of 1/4 inch (drip irrigation) tubing to the inside edge latch area of the door. Works perfectly.
5) Minor - drawer latches - check that they are working properly. They are often not adjusted correctly - or the plastic may be cracked.

Good Luck and have fun!
Old 07-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #8

Quote:
We go in to the dealer tomorrow to sign our paperwork...and I'm starting to get that "Oh no what have we done" feeling...

We are trading in my car towards it, so the payment isn't much more. Just for a lot longer
So that part doesn't worry me. What I'm worried about is, what is something goes wrong? What if it has issues? We went over it with a fine tooth comb and the only issues we found were - loose decorative tape on a wallpaper 'seam', and the murphy bed mechanism seemed a little off, which the salesman 'fixed' by adjusting it. We plan to be extra thorough at the PDI.

read very carfully the comments here about the solera slider and bed and make sure the mechanisms work perfectly.

the 24ms uses the schwintek slider. go to youtube and watch video on it.
make sure the bed lowering system sounds perfect.

slides,bed lowering/raising/and electric step are the things that cause the most problems.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #9

LOL - love the advice to show that the prob exists on other coaches! Having them show that is is the norm is spot on. Haha Then the buyer can decide if they want the "normal" issur. I had the tech patiently run all appliances - furnace, a/c, etc...esp since the cool cat was new to me...the fridge runs different as well and had him repeat his tutorial on how the switch wirks with dual tankd...in the process, spouse asked about battery & took cover off only to discover battery was more than a year old - tech was genuinely surprised and said this os not acceptable & got a new one...then we decided to get a bigger one and pay the difference. All in allthe dealership and technician made it happen...it was a happy time to spend the.money in buying my trailer. After using it, I had a few small questions that they readily answered and adressed via phone call....tech gave me his card & cell # & encouraged me to call if I jad Any concerns when out using it .... I believe he really means it! Hopefull we never have to make that call.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
Site Team

Great advice about "if something doesn't feel right don't bring it home". Even with the little stuff an option would be to leave the trailer there until everything is fixed if they can't properly take care of it right then. Space is limited in the service department so there's a need to get it taken care of and off the lot. Sometimes it's easier to deal with it now than later. And one thing I have learned about promises is that with more time that has passed the less the other person remembers.

If the jitters are because you are second guessing yourself why not ask to be left alone in the trailer before signing the paperwork? Tell the salesman & finance manager that you come find them shortly but that you would like some time alone.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote