Old 04-02-2014, 07:33 AM   #1

Buying a Solera from the factory

I see several threads include comments of driving their Solera home from the factory.

What are the advantages and cost savings of this approach? Does one work directly with the factory or a dealer?

We are wanting a 24R with most of the options and a local dealer is asking $89,990 for one with the options we want. We are willing to wait the 6-10 weeks if the cost savings is worth it.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyrick View Post
I see several threads include comments of driving their Solera home from the factory.

What are the advantages and cost savings of this approach? Does one work directly with the factory or a dealer?

We are wanting a 24R with most of the options and a local dealer is asking $89,990 for one with the options we want. We are willing to wait the 6-10 weeks if the cost savings is worth it.
You can't buy factory direct.
You can buy from a dealer and pick-up from the factory I believe.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!

Old 04-02-2014, 07:50 AM   #3

Advantage would be if anything is wrong it can get fixed by right away. Some camp close to the factory when picking up a unit to test all systems for this very reason.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:57 AM   #4

Try RVDirect - Lowest prices on Jayco and Forest River RVs.. That same Solera should be around $73,000 +/-.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
GM

You cannot buy factory direct, you cannot buy from a dealer and pick it up at the factory.

Dealer employees can pick it up from the factory, but they need to do a full PDI before delivering the unit to a retail customer.

Also, I would not plan on stopping by the factory expecting someone to run out and look at issues. We do have a service building, but they are booked out with appointments.

Also, I wish people would post pricing with disclaimers. Those great prices that get quoted are typically without freight charges, aren't always apples to apples and they are not interested in your trade. Please give your local dealer a chance to negotiate prices before there are no local dealers for you to look at that nice product in person.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #6

Like I mentioned +/-.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #7
GM

+/- is like an asterisk. No one reads them.....I think they see them as mis-typed puncuation.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #8

Fair point.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:15 PM   #9

I researched for several years before I bought and found that RVDirect had the "BEST PRICE" for me!
2013 Solera 24S
Old 04-08-2014, 01:28 AM   #10

I bought from a local dealer in Georgia, which happened to have a dealership in Elkhart. I flew to Elkhart, toured the factory, which helped me alot with the inner workings of the unit (ie. behind the wall, in the ceiling, & under the floor kinda stuff). Picked up my new unit at the dealer in Elkhart and drove it home. Spent one night dry camping in a Wal-mart, and spent one night in a campground with all hookups. This allowed me the chance to test everything on the way home. Had to stop at local dealer for a few minor tweeks. With airfare and expenses for the trip, I broke even with what the local dealer wanted to charge for freight. I had two main reasons for doing it this way. I wanted to see how the unit was built, and I wanted to be the one to break in my diesel engine.

Tags
factory, solera

« dash air | Warranty »