Old 08-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #1

Cab window shields

After a recent outing in the desert at 112°, I'm looking to get a reflective shield kit for the windshield and side cab windows.

Looking at this setup.

Dodge - Freightliner Sprinter Van: Accessories and Equipment

Anyone have this or one like it? Does it work ok with the backup camera display?

If you have something else you like, please let me know where you got it.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
2018 FR3 30DS

We ordered the 89 dollar set about 2 years ago. I assume they do what they are supposed to do as far as insulation and privacy are concerned. We use them all the time, summer and winter.
There is another type that I am not familiar with also at this same company and they are 109 dollars...
I think a lot of Solera owners buy merchandise from this company from what has been posted in the past.

http://sprinterstore.com/window_insulation.htm

Old 08-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #3

I ordered these from High End Motorsports.

Mercedes-Benz Sprinter mercedes-benz-sprinter-windshield-sunshade-set 1 66.90 Front Sides = Pair of Front Side
Windshield SunShade Set Shades
2003-2014

They work exceptionally well in they Florida sunshine
Old 08-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogsarg View Post
After a recent outing in the desert at 112°, I'm looking to get a reflective shield kit for the windshield and side cab windows.

Looking at this setup.

Dodge - Freightliner Sprinter Van: Accessories and Equipment

Anyone have this or one like it? Does it work ok with the backup camera display?

If you have something else you like, please let me know where you got it.
I ordered a set of these from Eurocampers.com - mine are attached with suction cups, which are quick and easy, but I understand during the winter they don't hold too well. Comes with storage bag. The more expensive ones attach with velcro and straps, apparently no storage bag - you roll them up and secure with elastic strap?. I have no idea which would be better. But they do work. I haven't been in the desert, but at 97 degrees here in NC, the cab stays comfotable.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #5

I have the same roll up one as Slow_Moving. I use it when we aren't camping to keep the heat out and the sun off the dash. I have a windshield cover I use when camping. It goes on the outside all the way around the windshield and side windows.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-587310691.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	36700
Old 08-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #7

Your best option including price is from High End Motorsports. These have reflective suction cups and are very good at reflecting the excess heat from sunlight. There is a seperate post on this about 6 mo. Ago.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #8

I don't know why you wouldn't want to use an outside snoot boot? Stop the heat before it gets inside to begin with. If you have it on the inside of the window if there are any gaps in the coverage it well allow the heat in. Where if you have the one that is on the outside it woud be easier to make sure it is all closed off.

Maybe I'm off base but if we get the M we are going to look at on next Tuesday that is the style I'm going to look at.

Has anybody tried the one on the outside and if so does it keep the heat out? From the pictures it apperars that is what Debbie is using.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #9

I use the High End Motorsports inside on mine and I think it is very handy. Although I will probably also get the outside one later I like the fact that I can put the shields up without leaving the cab.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch50 View Post
I don't know why you wouldn't want to use an outside snoot boot? Stop the heat before it gets inside to begin with. If you have it on the inside of the window if there are any gaps in the coverage it well allow the heat in. Where if you have the one that is on the outside it woud be easier to make sure it is all closed off.

Maybe I'm off base but if we get the M we are going to look at on next Tuesday that is the style I'm going to look at.

Has anybody tried the one on the outside and if so does it keep the heat out? From the pictures it apperars that is what Debbie is using.
The Outside Boots work fine. However, they are HEAVY - several pounds, and with a Solera, that's of primary importance. Also, If you've ever camped in inclement weather, it's no fun taking them off when they're frozen, or when it's raining, or when they're covered with ice or frost, and then having to stow them wet (mildew, you know). The inside ones weigh almost nothing, and can be put up from the inside in inclement weather, and can be taken down and stowed inside without having to go out into inclement weather. The Reflective material REFLECTS heat away, whereas the boot absorbs it. They're inside, and if you go away from your camper for a while, you can lock your camper and not worry about someone using a five-finger discount and getting them. Yeah, I know you secure them over the door with straps, but some thieves will try to rip them loose anyway.

Just some considerations based on past experience!!

To each his own, I guess.

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote