Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #1

Cabinet over vanity sink

Hey, what are you all doing to keep things secure in the Cabinet over the vanity? (The one above the sink at the end of the bed, outside the head.

I found that anything of any height falls out. (sunscreen, deodorant, etc.) I'm thinking of a simple rubber band restraint (hook/eyes on either side) especially on the bottom shelf.

But I thought I'd ask what others are doing first.

I have purchased some plastic school supply boxes that seem to wedge in nicely, but it is a bit inconvenient to have to remove and open those for every single use.
PNWTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #2

There are small adjustable plastic spring loaded retaining rails sold at Wal-Mart in their RV supplies section that work fairly well.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:15 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Cut a pc of thin plywood and cover the whole front cutout for all the shelves. Small bungee cord hooked to cup hooks on both sides to hold it in.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #4

Take some measurements on the shelf ht. and width then go to the dollar type stores and pick up some rectangular plastic bins that fit the space. I havn't found exact fits but a couple next to each other (end to end), seem to work a bit better than the base set up in the cabinet, and hold your sundries better. IMO
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
There are small adjustable plastic spring loaded retaining rails sold at Wal-Mart in their RV supplies section that work fairly well.
That's exactly what we do in our cabinet. We just leave it there all of the time- it's not a problem when we are setup at a campsite.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-43833-Oa...N10SHDDGV4R3K3
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #6

Here's what worked for me, 3/8" or 1/2" thick form rubber cut to snub fit inside the cabinet. Nothing falls out.
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:46 PM   #7

WE use small plastic bins of different sizes depending on what is being held. The sides of most are about 2" tall and keep most everything from moving during travel. Putting 2 or 3 of them per shelf gives plenty of options on what to put in each. Walmart and Dollar General are the best places we have found. WE also have used the cup hooks with the small black bungees when things were too tall for the bins.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:50 PM   #8

Huh. This sounds interesting. Can't quite picture it, but I'll think about it. do you stand up the foam and tuck things behind it?

The tension rods suggested by others sound a little large for the shallow space, but I'm giving everything consideration.

One thing I did this past trip was put toiletries in a hanging bag with pockets. I kept it in the closet while traveling, but hung it on the door in the head when parked. That was fairly handy. I tried rolling it up to take to the park shower, but that didn't work as well in reality as it seemed like it would--half of the pockets faced downwards and stuff fell out. I guess half the fun is figuring out all of these little issues that aren't issues in a stationary house.
PNWTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:20 PM   #9

small tension curtain rods will work as well and can be found at local stores and because they are not an RV made item they will be cheaper than the ones made for RV's
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:51 PM   #10

I bought the clear wall corner protectors from Lowes, cut them to fit and used museum putty to hold them. They work just fine for keeping things from falling out when you open the door. I've also seen people attach the spice clips to the back wall for holding small bottles.
wildwoodtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:56 PM   #11

DW uses the thin flexible cutting boards in all the cabinets. Just slip in behind the door frame and close door. Works great!
2 cats: Bello & Dexter (Peanut) RIP
DavandJane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:10 AM   #12

Clarification on using a foam rubber pad. Place the items in the cabinet, then place the foam pad (I used some scrap carpet pad) in the cabinet in front of the items and close the door. Hope that clears it up.
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:35 AM   #13

I have found a lot of great ideas on Pinterest, one was using a small hand towel bar with the sticky foam backing and adhering it to the wall, then put items behind it and it holds everything in place and doesn't have to be removed to get to items.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:25 PM   #14

I took the face trim off of all the shelves and moved them up higher so that the bottom edge of the face trim lines up with the bottom edge of the shelf. As it was, some of the trim piece extended below the shelf, which did no good. Anyway, this fix worked for us. Some taller things still might still lean over sideways while in motion but stay on the shelf. I did have to use new finishing nails and putty the nail holes to camouflage them.
jngspencer is offline   Reply With Quote