Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2017, 11:14 AM   #1

Camera

Where can I buy a replacement back up camera? Mine is getting weak - even with a cleaned lens.
dswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:35 PM   #2

Not sure what brand you have. Mine came with a system from Rear View Safety:
https://www.rearviewsafety.com/
I ordered a replacement camera directly from them.

Dave
Old 07-29-2017, 07:37 AM   #3

Dave, how long was the cable at the new camera? Were you able to replace without running new cable All the way to control box.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Dave, how long was the cable at the new camera? Were you able to replace without running new cable All the way to control box.
Geez, I don't remember how long the cable was. My recollection is that I ended up splicing into the cable at the back of the roof. I think there's supposed to be a connector in there...but I couldn't find it (or get it out).

Dave
Old 07-29-2017, 01:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
Geez, I don't remember how long the cable was. My recollection is that I ended up splicing into the cable at the back of the roof. I think there's supposed to be a connector in there...but I couldn't find it (or get it out).

Dave
Were you able to get enough out so the splice would be inside the wall? I am going to be replacing my camera shortly and sure wish I could get to the connection.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Were you able to get enough out so the splice would be inside the wall? I am going to be replacing my camera shortly and sure wish I could get to the connection.
Yes, the splice is inside the wall.

Dave
Old 08-02-2017, 08:25 AM   #7

I wonder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post

Dave
In the rear of my 2015 24R at the ceiling is a composite board that covers the entire length of the corner and rear wall. I wonder if anyone has thought about removing it and possibly exposing a connector ?
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusslejj View Post
I wonder if anyone has thought about removing it and possibly exposing a connector ?
I thought about it but decided it would be difficult to get back together cleanly...and might not provide access in any case.

As I recall, there's a metal channel running across the back of the roof behind the camera. The channel carries the wires for the clearance lights and the camera and possibly other things. I don't know if that channel is just on the other side of the trim board or if you could get at the wiring in it. Perhaps someone knows for sure?

Dave
Old 08-02-2017, 10:07 AM   #9

My 24R has a closet against that back wall

Albeit small, I'll take a look at the upper rear of the closet to see if it has that same corner piece. If so, it would be easier to remove and reinstall. I'll let you know if I find something of interest !
Old 08-06-2017, 09:59 PM   #10

I have a 2014 24R and did remove the trim board that looks like crown molding bc it was coming loose. It is held in place with a lot of 1" brads and once removed it revealed the long rear view camera cable. I didn't have a camera problem at the time so I just carefully reattached the trim board and used a lot of brads. Now however my camera has gone bad so I will soon be removing the trim board and installing a new camera.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David100 View Post
I have a 2014 24R and did remove the trim board that looks like crown molding bc it was coming loose. It is held in place with a lot of 1" brads and once removed it revealed the long rear view camera cable. I didn't have a camera problem at the time so I just carefully reattached the trim board and used a lot of brads. Now however my camera has gone bad so I will soon be removing the trim board and installing a new camera.
Have pulled that trim board yet to access the camera cable?
Old 08-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #12

LONG I removed the trim board, found a long camera cable under the trim board and then removed the camera from its outside mounting bracket. I then removed the exterior round rubber grommet that acts like a weather shield and could now see inside the top back of the Solera. I tugged on the camera cable from the outside as well as the inside of the MH, but the cable would not budge. I then tried GENTLY to pry off the composite wall board from above the bed on the inside and was able to remove only about 12 inches of it before it started to delaminate. It is glued in place. The wall boards looks like thin, maybe 3/16 " thick luan with the wall paper-like covering. It almost started to tear so I stopped. The camera cable still would not budge so I cut the camera cable from the outside, drilled about a 10/16" diameter hole from the outside, through the grommet hole, into an area above the bed and passed the new camera cable through the hole. My camera came with about a 6-foot cable that terminated in a male 5-pin connector that mated perfectly with the long camera cable female end that is somehow routed to the multiplexer under the dash in the front of the Solera. I also removed the old camera cable from the inside. I could not find the camera cable shown on the Solera wiring diagram, but as it turned out, I didn't need to do anything except plug the two ends together, as I now have a crisp, full color picture from the new backup camera. I thought about splicing the wires before doing all of the pull apart but abandoned that plan because the camera cable wires are very thin and I did not want to cut the new camera cable or attempt a risky, for me, splice. I finished by weather proofing the outside with a new rubber grommet that was already installed on the new camera cable and dicor lap sealant. The inside went together and now that everything is back together, I do not notice and problems in the composite wall paper. The trim board was reattached with more 1' long brads. I hope this helps. Go luck.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:01 PM   #13

Quote:
LONG I removed the trim board, found a long camera cable under the trim board and then removed the camera from its outside mounting bracket. I then removed the exterior round rubber grommet that acts like a weather shield and could now see inside the top back of the Solera. I tugged on the camera cable from the outside as well as the inside of the MH, but the cable would not budge. I then tried GENTLY to pry off the composite wall board from above the bed ...
When you say you 'removed the trim board' - that is the corner molding along the back wall, right ? If so, I'm guessing behind it was the 'connector' that you connected the new camera to ? BTW - any pictures ?

Thanks for all the info !
Old 08-14-2017, 06:01 PM   #14

I replaced my camera today. Seems to be working fine, but will really know on the next trip.

I did the cut and splice routine which worked out. Does take some care when trimming back the insulation on the very fine wires. I used "Helping Hands" to hold the wires while soldering and heat shrinking.

https://www.harborfreight.com/helping-hands-60501.html
Old 08-16-2017, 09:12 PM   #15

Nusslejj, yes the trim board is the molding that goes across the back of the MH. The cable connector that I needed was under that. Sorry I was exhausted in the heat and I did not take pictures. And Mikegjax, well done. Those are pretty thin wire you soldered. I wish I had the nerve to do that. I know it took very steady hands and a lot of patience.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:40 AM   #16

Thanks David100 !

Quote:
Nusslejj, yes the trim board is the molding that goes across the back of the MH. The cable connector that I needed was under that. Sorry I was exhausted in the heat and I did not take pictures. And Mikegjax, well done. Those are pretty thin wire you soldered. I wish I had the nerve to do that. I know it took very steady hands and a lot of patience.
Great information for those of us who may have to replace our cameras in the future ! Too bad FR didn't install a 'panel' for that connector, or in my case with a 24R, if the connector were in the rear closet that would make just too much sense !
Old 08-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #17

Little road test today on my new camera installation. It works better than the original! Started early in the morning while it was still dark. Could actually see behind me quite well. Daytime was very clear and bright. Happy with the whole final result. Guess my wire soldering job was OK.