Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2014, 07:33 AM   #1

can't add air to inner rear tires

2014 Solera R. I believe there was a thread on this issue recently but I can't seem to find it. I cannot take a pressure reading or add air to the rear inner tires.
Can someone direct me to the thread on this?
Thanks
Kidagan
kidagn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:42 AM   #2

Do you have extensions installed?
Old 06-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #3

I have what came with the rv new. If I squat and look behind the valve cap which I can hardly get to they are the yellow ones I think others have talked about.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
2012 Solera

The Airflex extensions on our 2012 had a similar problem. The inner stem - which depresses the stem of the tire valve - was too short. My solution was to cut off a small (1/8 to 1/4 inch) of the threaded section to expose the inner stem enough that normal pressure gauges and fill chucks will work. Others on the forum have had the same problem and several have used the same solution. I believe some have found pressure gauges and fill chucks with longer stems which work without modifying the Airflex.

By the way, my issue was with the outer duals. The outers on our 2012 Solera have a pressurized right angle extension on the valve (to point the air inlet in the right direction) followed by the Airflex to get the fill location beyond the wheel cover. I suspect the "dual extension" on these caused a build up of tolerances - and hence the problem. Also, with all that weight on the rubber valve stems, I have used wire ties to both secure the wheel covers to the wheels and to secure the extensions to the wheel covers. Otherwise, seems these extensions would whip around a lot at speed. Not recommended by Airflex - however Airflex says use metal valve stems, I believe...
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #5

The inside end of the Airflex extension is to small to allow the extension to tread down on rubber valve stems in the wheel. My best solution was to cut most of the extension inside skirt off, being careful not to cut or damage any threads. This will allow the extension to thread down far enough for the needle inside the extension to open the valve stem when needed. My next best solution is to replace the rubber valve stems with metal.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #6

Thanks to JLeising and Mikegjax! My solera is under warranty and I believe FR via my local dealer should fix this issue. What do you think?
Old 06-05-2014, 12:11 PM   #7

Honestly, I try and stay away from dealers when ever possible. That is just me. My time and hassle to take the RV in is worth something to me. I try and do any minor repairs I can that won't void the warranty. The last time I let a dealership try and fix something I could have done, they really buggered it up. On the other hand it depends on how comfortable you are with doing things yourself.

Airflexx does not make any plastic extension that will fit over the rubber valve stems, without some modification. Warranty should cover any repairs however.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #8
2012 Solera

I understand there are some good, competent dealers out there. Mine is not one of them. This issue would be beyond my dealer's capability to understand or fix.
Good luck.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #9

I went to my local tire shop today to have the tire pressure checked on all 6 of my Solera tires. The owner removed the hub caps and valve stem extenders to quickly check the pressures. He used this hub cap removal tool. The whole process took about 5-10 min. To me it seemed a lot easier than fiddling with the valve stem extenders. Your experience may vary. I'm probably going to pick up one of these hub cap removal tools and add it to my on board tool box.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1402031172.138337.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	54467
http://www.amazon.com/Grip-Tools-Rem...p+removal+tool

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:31 AM   #10

Tool is also available at Harbor Freight Tools. Also works well to hammer and remove tent stakes.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:38 AM   #11

Also had a problem with the inside tire on my ERA motorhome. I don't like extensions as they are heavy and have a history of causing some folks problems going down the road.
My suggestion, go to a truck stop and talk to the folks there about the angled tire tester and air tools for adding air. Taking the hubcaps off is a must on my MH.
I still don't like the hassle of checking those inside tires but it beats not checking them at all!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #12

The Airflexx extensions are very light and don't hold any pressure in them. They apparently don't whip around much due to their light weight. After cutting mine to thread all of the way down, there are no problems with them.

I do plan on getting rid of them when I put all steel solid valve stems that are of the proper length so extensions are not needed.

These should take care of the problem and allow for TPMS.
DL1SP13FR Chrome Duallyvalve Kit W/ Front Stems

Tags
tire, tires