Old 06-14-2015, 07:23 PM   #1
Cetane Boost

What are members thoughts on using a Cetane Boost additive? Useful? Waste of money? Harmful?

lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:33 PM   #2
According to the web site for Fuel Magic, a cetane booster:

"There is no benefit to using a higher cetane number fuel than is specified by the engine's manufacturer."

Of course, I have no idea what MB specifies for cetane, nor do I have any idea how one would find the cetane number for a tank full of diesel. Oh well.

I'm in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp on this.

DaveJordan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #3
Most cetane levels at station pumps is 30 points, Ford recommends 40 points in summer and 45 in winter to prevent soot build up. Ford recommends to use cetane booster in their powerstroke engines for that reason. To answer your question, unless you know if the fuel you using has low cetane level don't waste your money, but it won't hurt it if you do run some, just make sure you mix correctly. Hope this helps
2014 Forester 3051s
2016 Nissan Pathfinder SL
2012 Sonic toad
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #4
I have been using Howes for a year and a half now, IMO it does a better job of keeping the fuel from jelling in the winter than anything else and they claim it helps power and MPG's but then they all do.

Last year I was getting about 11.1-3 on the dash, this year it is right at 12MPG, did Howes help or is it because the 250 has a few more miles on it....

Anyway, I do not consider it a waste so I will keep using it.
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:37 PM   #5
if anything, you want an additive that provides extra lubrication for the fuel system, since todays low sulfur fuels don't provide much.
David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
I have used cetane booster but did not notice any difference. I started using Archoil AR6200 Fuel Modification Complex and noticed the difference right away.

One ounce per 80 gallons so the bottle seems expensive but its not really. I use the Kleen Flow as a diluter so I can split the 1 once into my two tanks. I called Archoil and it is compatible with KleenFlow.

Archoil had a one ounce trial pack but you paid shipping. US only.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:00 AM   #7
I just read the Diesel supplement for 2000km new 2015 Power Stroke. They state in Canadian Arctic temps cetane boost might be a good idea below -20 C. That is pretty cold and last winter we reached it solid for month where I live. Nothing is mentioned for other seasons for any additives. I have extended warranty and service plan for my truck and going to ask the Service Manager at my dealer about additives for the fuel.
B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:27 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew
Would Cetane have a benefit in the winter time for fuel mileage? When I was pulling my Wildcat southwest this winter I was getting 8-9 mpg on winter blend fuel. Then when I fueled up in New Mexico it was 10-11 mpg for the rest of the trip. Winter blend diesel could be 30% of #1 diesel and less btu's per gallon .
Ed & Ruthann / Toby and Tucker
2014 GMC Sierra Crewcab 2500 Duramax
2014 Wildcat 327ck
2015 129 nites
2016 40 nites
elind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:37 AM   #9
wannastang........."Most cetane levels at station pumps is 30 points" this a typo ??....if not you are mistaken. pumps sell nothing under 40 [legislated] ... because of low sulfer a lubricant is added at time of refining...but it is always good to add cetane ... a better and earlier and complete burn. ford cetane boost is an excellent choice out of the many to choose from...some being better than others. try reading this ..
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:54 AM   #10
When reviewing these jurisdictions, it was noted that Canada has the fewest mandatory
requirements for fuel quality and the least stringent monitoring and enforcement practices. In
addition, relatively little information was readily available on the actual fuel quality of Canadian
gasoline and diesel

As you can see from this quote by " The Pembina Institute " we only recommend levels in fuel so 30 points may be the level or may not. Bottom line is using a Cetane booster mixed in correct levels will not hurt a diesel engine, as the OP wanted to know

2014 Forester 3051s
2016 Nissan Pathfinder SL
2012 Sonic toad
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote