Old 09-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #1

Charging problem

When on shore powermy converter puts out about 13.5 volts. Not sure this is enough for a proper charge, but onto other interesting facts.

When the generator is on, the ac outlets read 118 volts, but the 12 volts outlets only read battery voltage, nothing higher to indicate the converter has come on. Switch the battery disconnect off and the 12v outlet reads 9.5 volts.again saying the converter output is very low.

Hook to shore power and the converter puts out 13.5 volts at the 12 volt outlets, but switch the battery disconnect off and the 12 volt outlets drop to zero. turn the battery switch back to on and then 12 volt outlet reads 13.5.

Also, never see any evidence of a charge voltage from the chassis alternator while underway!

What could explain all these symptoms?

Bad converter?
bad BIRD?
Bad control board?
Bad transfer switch?
Weak batteries?

Old 09-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #2

Additional fact to add

I am sure that iin the past when on shore power with battery disconnect switch off, the coach had full 12 volt power to all the lights etc.bit now with batt switch off, nothing.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:34 PM   #3

Sounds like you have a bad battery. Have you checked to see if the levels are up?
It still looks like the battery charger is giving you the 13.5 volts and the battery is still low.
I really think you need to get the battery checked.
Hope this helps

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:15 AM   #4

OK,but why do I get 13.5vdc from my converter when on shore power, but low or no output from my converter when on generator?

(no voltage from the alternator may be due to too low of charge on coach battery but I would like to confirm that somehow)

btw it was a new battery at the start of the trip 4 weeks ago. Chicken or egg?
Old 09-23-2013, 12:21 AM   #5

Converter reads 13.5 when on shore power but not on Generator. I would look why you are not getting 110 to the converter with Gen. If you are then the converter would seem bad.

If you had just hooked up to shore power then then the battery maybe low and that is why you only have 13.5 after a hour or so, I would think that number would be higher. I am assuming you do not have gel cell battery as 13.5 would be a good number then. Battery will charge OK at 13.5 just a little slower. I would think you would see 13.8 to 14.2 after battery has charged a while.

Chassis alternator should have an isolator to charge house battery and not discharge starter battery. That could be bad but would not explain why the Gen not powering the controller.

Best guess a battery may be bad and tripped a breaker from gen to converter, different breaker for shore power?

After on shore power for 2 hour, what does the 12 battery read with shore power off. Turn on a fan or something to get rid of the surface charge voltage, I would think above 12.6 to be a good battery, would think a bad would be below 11.8.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:18 AM   #6

All good stuff. I'll try to check over the next couple of days.

Still trying to locate my converter and my transfer switch. this is a solera so looking for input from solera owners on this location question.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #7

what kind of batts . flooded or agm ? and how many ? 6 or 12 volt
Old 09-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
2018 FR3 30DS

I have 2011 24S Solera...I think you are going to have to remove the panels in your big storage located in the rear on the passenger side. You should be able to see the shore power cord and also the genset power cord as they enter the transfer box after removing the panels.
Also with the panels removed, look directly to your right and you can see the water heater and just above it is the converter. It will be plugged in to an outlet and there are 2 wires coming off the back of the convertor that provide DC current....That's what mine is.

Hope this helps...
Old 09-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #9

Got a good solid 12 hours charging on shore power last night.

Today during a lunch stop tried the generator and after about 5 minutes the converter kicked in with about 13.5 volts.

I think, as was said earlier, my battery was discharged too low.

I still never see a charging level voltage while underway even though the scan gauge tells me the alternator is putting out 13.7 volts. I guess this could be a BIRD or control board problem.

Any ideas on how to diagnose?
Old 09-23-2013, 11:57 PM   #10

Is your unit like a semi type truck?

Is the 13.7 volts from the alternator?

Tags
charging