Old 06-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #1

Checking tire air pressure-Inner Dual Tires.

How do you all check the air pressure in your Solera tires? Checking the inners looks a bit cumbersome. Interested in the Tire gauge, extension hose and where you bought the item. Just bought a California Air Tool 1.6-Gal. 1 HP Ultra Quiet and Oil-Free Aluminum Tank Air Compressor to check the pressure every month and use around the house. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #2

If yours is a recent model 2013 or later, it should have the plastic FlexAir extenders. You can check pressure through the extenders same as through the valve stem. If you don't have extenders, its a crawl under the coach ordeal to get to the inner stem, and you may want to consider adding extenders. Lots of theads about tire pressure, valve stems and extenders, etc. You may want to search through the forums about this. Most believe you're better off replacing the original valve stems with high pressure metal stems. adding extenders to rubber stems will result in a lot of torqueing of the rubber as the wheel rotates, and they'll fail quickly. Also, consider a tire pressure monitor system to alert you when a tire starts losing pressure.

I use a combination gauge/filler nozzle to fill my tires - lets you check pressure as you fill the tire with air - saves having to switch back and forth between a pressure gauge and a filler nozzle.

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #3

I have a 2013 Coachmen Mirada. I just had metal extenders installed that reach out through the outside wheel. I've heard lots of bad news about the plastic extenders. You can figure about $40/tire to remove, install the extenders, reinstall and balance. I just checked the TP a few minutes ago, and not having to crawl under and mess with it made it worth every penny.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #4

Taylorgso:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
I use a combination gauge/filler nozzle to fill my tires - lets you check pressure as you fill the tire with air - saves having to switch back and forth between a pressure gauge and a filler nozzle.
I have a 2013 Solera S model. My plastic FlexAir extenders are already worn and I am looking at replacing them with another product. Where did you buy the combination gauge/filler nozzle? Appreciate the info-Thanks.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
Taylorgso:
I have a 2013 Solera S model. My plastic FlexAir extenders are already worn and I am looking at replacing them with another product. Where did you buy the combination gauge/filler nozzle? Appreciate the info-Thanks.

Here's a link: I have two of them - one for the garage, the other I keep in the MH!
Campbell Hausfeld MP6000 Tire Inflator with Gauge - Amazon.com
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:58 PM   #6

I bought the metal extenders at Camping World and after a few miles the rubber stems did fail. So I got some plastic wire ties at Lowes and threaded them through the hubcap hole and around the metal stem extension, No more flailing and no more stem leaks. So far
Old 06-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #7

Did the same thing as above to my extenders(yellow) secured them with plastic coated wire twist ties, and no problems. Seems to me that the extender spinning inside the wheel hub unsecured ,would put undo forces where they arn't needed IMHO.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #8

Don't understand the need to get under the RV. A truck pressure gauge works just fine on the regular stems. A bit awkward to get it seated correctly at first but no problem once you get used to it. I have a filler without gauge that is the same shape.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #9

One nice thing about purchasing from a local dealer is that they replaced the defective stems with these.

Yeah, I know my wheels are a bit dirty...