Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Christmas gift - a brand new RV? Need your input!

Dear friends,

First of all, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family! Wish you many happy trails next year!

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a brand new W floorplan. How about that for Christmas?! Well, in fact we won't get it till next year but making a sweet deal is just as good.

We're considering the following available options for either Sunseeker MBS or Forester MBS, and would like to hear your comment. We live in Southern California, will camp mostly in mild weather, will unlikely do boondocking for more than 3 days in a row, and will occasionally bring two other people (4 total).

3.2 Onan diesel generator - decided we don't need it. If we do in the future, get a Honda or Yamaha.

15k BTU A/W with heat pump - like it not because we definitely need it, but it's affordable

Fantastic fan - affordable. But don't know if it's worth it.

Side view camera - an item I'm not sure about. The backup camera is included, ready for the side view camera.

Full body paint - will get it. Love the color and the protection.

Oven IPO Pan Drawer - not sure if the available microwave is convection or not, so wonder if oven is necessary.

Exterior grill w/ quick connect - not sure. Like the idea of a portable Weber as many people have chosen

Bedroom TV with DVD - what size is it? If 22", want to get a larger one instead. If opt out, is the connection there for after market installation?

Rear stabilizer jacks - a big item I'm not sure about. Would like to opt out, and install Stabi-Lite if necessary. Any comments?

I've spent a lot of time on this forum and learned a lot from you guys. Thank you! Looking forward to your input and looking forward to contributing as much after we own a RV! BTW, we'll be the first time RV owner.

Happy Holidays!
HomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #2

Imho,
15k with heatpump

Propane gen works fine and use very little.

I like the fantastic fan with remote. Moves a lot of air especially with the windows open.

Have the oven, wish I had drawers.

Side view cameras can be added later at much lower cost. Not really needed.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #3

Have you shopped Winnebago or Itasca? There is a big misconception that their cost is significantly higher than Forest River. IMO day and night quality and factory support difference.
I have owned three Forest River producs and still have one of their fifth wheels. I just purchased a Winnebago class C, Aspect. Without going into too many details, unless Forest River gets it together, I will never buy another.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #4

Get the entertainment center if you don't intend to use the upper bunk, check mine out in the forester forum
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #5

We live in San Diego
We rarely use generater ( in fact started it up when we were dry camping at carlsbad state beach to make sure it still worked)
I have weber and folding stand for it
Works great measure your outside storage to make sure it fits
Have never turned oven on in 21/2 years (although wife wants to try frozen pizza some time)
We installed 2 fantastic fans
Worth it , in fact I'm going to replace cheap fan in bathroom too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #6

As far as the oven. This is how I would decide. If you plan on living the same diet on the road and you cook at home using your oven, decision made. Fantastic fan worth it. Generator, isn't propane std?, if so, and you don't plan on long term boondocking, propane will be fine. Floor plan suitable to sleep four adults, your decision. Good luck.

Oh, and as far as the bago interloper, anytime I looked, they were "much" more and their layout didn't suit our needs. But, in fairness, it's a personal preference.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:27 PM   #7

I use the generator so seldom that I am very pleased with the propane model. Toss up on oven vs drawer. We have the oven and have used it on several of our trips, great for heating bread. I had narrowed my choice down to the bago and Forest River, after many hours of comparing the two and working hard at the price I could not see paying the higher price for the winnebago. Both had features we liked but in the end the Solera was best choice for us. Winnebago was considerably higher priced and really did not see anything that was better quality.
Enjoy your new RV
BadBob
BadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:04 PM   #8

I would do the TV yourself
Our was pre-wired
Easy install

Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #9

We have a Class C so I'll only address what applies to both yours and ours.

Since you say you will not boondock much, skip the oven and be sure you are getting a combination microwave and convection oven. We seldom use the propane oven but often use the convection oven. Drawer space is valuable in a small coach.

Fantastic fan is worthwhile.

15k A/C and heat pump is nice. Saves trips to get propane. Like all heating systems with ceiling vents the floor gets cool during cooler weather (40 F). You can run a portable electric heater on low heat to help keep the floor warm.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #10

We haven't yet done any boondocking, but we use the generator from time to time when we are out and about and need to leave our dog in the Solera. We run the furnace or A/C to keep her comfortable, and we think it uses very little propane.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #11
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

The DW says drop the oven (becomes a cabinet), and get a toaster oven. I don't know if I could go without the elect rear stablizer. I also added JB strong arms and bottle jacks under the axels.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:29 PM   #12

We got a new unit for christmas too , plus an elec golfcart to park in it!

Ive had a class c with a genset and a LQ horse trailer with one,only time it ran was when the power was out at the house. Not a good investment for either use or return.

Fantastic fan ,definatly.

If you have side mirrors that are adjustable from the cab,what would be th reason for side cam?

Full body paint ? Our Kenworth conversion class c had it and it held up about the same as a gel coat finish. Just keep it washed and waxed and spend the $ elsewhere.

In 40 yrs of camping I dont think we ever used the ove. A combo micro/convetion is our choice,but it wasnt an option on the new trailer,so I will fix that soon.

I am also going to remove the oven in ours and put a counter top dish washer in its place.

Bedroom TV is a personal choice thing,myself ,I sleep in the bedroom and watch tvin the lr.

We had an exterior grille on the LQ trailer and it was a pain in the ass to set up,clean,and take down. Our new one is plumbed for one but we will use a table top unit like the coleman w/ a 20' supply hose.

rear sabilizers are great for a trailer,but the auto leveling systems are great on a mh.

hope this helps!
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #13
Site Team

Like the others have already stated the Fantastic Fan is worth it.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:05 AM   #14
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Wow thanks so much for quick and informative feedback!

I'm glad our choices are more or less in line with the consensus: We'll get the fantastic fans but not the oven. I think convection oven is standard but will confirm. Will get side camera for DW just in case she is behind the wheel. Will get bedroom TV/DVD just for the convenience, don't want to bother with the upgrade after market. Will get full body paint, we love the look and its protection of fiberglass, even though it adds ~6% cost!

Regarding Winnebago, we've given View and Via a fair consideration but cannot find a suitable floorplan. Whether or not it's superior in quality to FR isn't obvious to us. Most importantly, I believe the talent in this forum is a remarkable resource. It is helpful and fun - a community found nowhere else.

We have a contract and deal in hand, and will finalize it by weekend! Anything else to watch out for the contract? It seems pretty standard and straightforward.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #15

Nope, looks like enough posters gave you their two cents. Good luck and enjoy.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #16

Smile MH options

Good luck on your new MH here are my thoughts

We use are heat pump more than the furnace

Side cameras are great

Oven we use to bake and use it to store pans, dish towels etc.

We have a portable gas grill and table we bought at discount store much cheaper and can set up away from MH

Not sure if the bedroom TV is 12V or 120V (mine is 12V) if you dry camp 12V is much better. When we store the MH I take out the TV's and use them at home with a 120V adapter.

Auto stabilizer jacks are great especially if setting up in bad weather

Happy camping
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #17
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

We signed the purchase order for a Forester MBS 2401W yesterday!
Thanks to all that offered input. We ordered 15k BTW A/C, Fantastic Fan, side-view camera, full body paint, and bedroom TV/DVD; No generator, oven, exterior grill or stabilizer.
Now we're waiting excitedly and nervously for a floorplan that we've never seen!
Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2015, 10:11 AM   #18

Hooray!

Mary Ann

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2015 Forester MBS 2401R
No Toad
FIVE2MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:18 PM   #19

You might want to rethink the generator. Say you want to make some coffee or heat something up in a rest area you will need AC power. You might want to run the coach air conditioning on a really hot day (rare).
If you have a pet and are parked for awhile you might need air conditioning.

Just some thoughts.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
You might want to rethink the generator. Say you want to make some coffee or heat something up in a rest area you will need AC power. You might want to run the coach air conditioning on a really hot day (rare).
If you have a pet and are parked for awhile you might need air conditioning.

Just some thoughts.

It has a LP generator standard

DBTSolera24R is offline   Reply With Quote