Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2014, 10:41 PM   #21

Positive there is no propane leak. Propane has been shut off for 2 weeks. I am plugged into power so my refrigerator stays cold as I usually go out every second weekend or so during the summer. Absolutely nothing else is on. The date on the back of the alarm is 2012 so it should be good for another year or so. I have pulled the fuse for now since I am not using it to sleep in. I will put the fuse back in next weekend when I go boondocking. If the alarm doesn't go off I can be sure it is fumes from the batteries which are directly underneath the alarm, 1 foot below. Poor placement I think
mckenziecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:01 PM   #22

Curious about the batteries. New or original. Type and make. One or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-16-2014, 11:12 PM   #23

They are the original batteries. Can't remember the make. They are not sealed batteries. 2-12 volts. I believe forest river should only install sealed batteries in the location they are putting them in. The step does have a foam seal on it but that is not 100% I work in the oilfield and we use 12 volt batteries in the well sites. It is code that these batteries must be sealed because they have caused well sites to burn down. The gases released are highly explosive
mckenziecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:52 AM   #24

Need Battery Powered LP Detector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Does anybody know of a similar LP detector that I could use? I gave up on my Safe-T-Alert and bought a CO detector, too, but can't find an LP detector.
I wasn't clear with my question above. The CO detector with a 10-year battery is perfect for an RV. I'm now looking for a BATTERY powered LP detector.

I've found 120 volt powered LP detectors, but none that run only on an internal battery or 12 volts DC. The closest I found is a KIDDE brand Model KN-COEG-3 combination CO/LP detector that runs on 120 volts and has a 9 volt backup battery but the battery is only good for 20 hours. This doesn't work for an RV.

The Kidde manual states that in the battery backup mode it only samples LP every 8 minutes. There may not be battery powered one available. It appears that a LP detector takes too much power to build one that only runs on a dry cell battery.

By the way, I've had two Safe-T-Alert CO/LP alarms go off repeatedly after both the gas and the battery switch had been off for several days, so there was no LP in the coach and the batteries were not being charged.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:26 PM   #25

ok, same problem for me. My alarm keeps going off in the evening. Gas turned off, battery switch off, in my driveway. RV is not on fire, nothing running but alarm goes off daily even with windows open. Obviously Forest River isn't going to help us with this so what do we do?
yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #26

Don't look to the manufacturer, Safe-T-Alert to help either. I've left 3 messages and nothing. This is now the official way of the world.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #27

I've had the same problem with the Safe-T-Alert LP/CO2 detector on my 2013 Solera 24S since we purchased it. The manufacturer replaced the first detector after about 4 months free of charge, believing it to be faulty. The replacement seemed to fix the problem, but it returned in a few months. Now it does the same thing, going off periodically. It commonly goes off in the evening or night when the door and perhaps windows are closed (less airflow). I can't count how many times I have been woken from a dead sleep by a screeching alarm. I was thinking of buying a new detector, but it's only 18 months old, and I have no confidence that changing it (again) will fix the problem. Has anyone found a practical resolution to this issue?
KingoftheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:21 PM   #28
2012 Solera

Replaced then combo CO / propane detector with a propane only unit (fit perfectly in the original's hole) and added a CO only battery operated unit mounted on the wall near the ceiling. Has solved my intermittent alarm issue for about a year now. I expect the CO detector to last quite a while. The propane only detector is cheaper to replace should it fail prematurely again.
I believe hypersensitivity and/or false alarms is a sign of detector aging, and the advertised five year life is optimistic in "real world" use.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Replaced then combo CO / propane detector with a propane only unit (fit perfectly in the original's hole) and added a CO only battery operated unit mounted on the wall near the ceiling.
CO is heavier than air and should be mounted low. Just sayin.
2015 Overnight Camping Days = 25, States Below:
SeaHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:06 PM   #30
2012 Solera

From Homesafe website:
"When considering where to place a carbon monoxide detector, keep in mind that although carbon monoxide is roughly the same weight as air (carbon monoxide's specific gravity is 0.9657, as stated by the EPA; the National Resource Council lists the specific gravity of air as one), it may be contained in warm air coming from combustion appliances such as home heating equipment. If this is the case, carbon monoxide will rise with the warmer air."

Similar guidance came with the detector.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:20 PM   #31

As long as you feel safe with it, it's up to you.
My heat or air from the furnace comes out of the floor, therefore low.
As far as it rising, well, all things being relative, it is still heavier (wrong, see below) than air.
That is why my FR manufacturer installed my CO detector low, about less than a foot off the floor, near the furnace.

OK now, I'm gonna correct myself. I did a search about this and there are myths about it, etc. CO is actually lighter than air as your numbers point out. And several comments are made about it being diffused etc. So, I'm just saying, they are usually installed low. But do what you're most comfortable with. Nice comments though!

I know of a few friends that have died from CO and either way, it is dangerous stuff......

I also found this:

http://www.jaymarinspect.com/carbon-...-detector.html

Here is the recommendation at the end:

"My recommendation: buy a good plug-in detector! If you want, get one with a battery back up. Put it near any potential CO source and another near your bedroom(s)."
2015 Overnight Camping Days = 25, States Below:
SeaHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:06 PM   #32

Something I know for sure; they always start screaming at 2:00 am when you are in that good deep sleep.

Something I'm not so sure but thought I had read somewhere in the past; these detectors have a "memory" of sorts. The more they alarm, the more sensitive they become.

I was using a can of spray lubricant outside and the alarm sensed the aerosol.

A few trips ago, it went off, yes in the middle of the night. Got fed up with trying to silence it and clipped the wires and tied wire nuts around the wires until we got home. I had another "new/unused" detector from my previous TT. Hooked it up and all is well.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote